Jags sign Christian Kirk to a large contract

TheRealMcCoy

4 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

It's probably not lol. This is the dude who really pushed for the Eagles to draft Reagor for example.

That was obviously a bad move.  I've been hoping Howie Roseman was behind it.  Oh well, 19 other teams passed on Randy Moss too - the Bengals passed on him twice!  About all I can do is hope it was a blip on the screen for Doug.

3 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

If this isn't the case, I will be SHOCKED (like even more so than I am). 

I mean, if I suggested yesterday that Christian Kirk would get $40M for 2 years, you would have called me crazy, so I'm not sure this is a great retort to reporting on total max value that's happening.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

There are actually a lot more similarities to Stefon Diggs when you look at box scores and advanced metrics. It is actually eerie how much Kirk is emulated Diggs's career. Not saying Christian is about to explode like Diggs getting to Buffalo but I am saying its possible. 

Would be awesome if he did. All reports were that he's a good guy and nice in the locker room. Local AZ kid and I really wanted him to explode. 

Only thing with the Diggs comparison is that Diggs was on a run-first team that featured AD and then had Sam Bradford at QB and then Case Keenum at QB. But Diggs was the top guy, and then part of a tandem with Thielen. Kirk wasn't able to take the number 1 role from 35+ Larry Fitzgerald, and then they brought in Hopkins and Kirk was pushed down to number 3. And then when Fitz left they brought in Green and Rondale Moore, and when everyone was healthy Kirk was the number 3/4 WR in a pass-happy offense. Never was able to produce in a featured role, even with the two best sets of hands in recent memory on the field with him. 

But yeah, I'd say he is kinda reminiscent of Diggs. They even both do the body catches. Diggs has more wiggle, but Kirk has that potential. It's gonna keep people signing him, just like with Agholor. 

• Like 1

Just now, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

It's more of a symptom of the problem rather than the cause. Being unable to draft high impact players at important positions with as many picks as the Jags have had has forced them into overpaying for players in FA.

This is all this is.

This franchise has been awful drafting prior to this past year (tbd on 2021, promising thus far). We have no one to pay internally upcoming with a desperate need for talent, especially around Lawrence. Sitting on your hands is what we did last year and it ended up saddling Lawrence in a no win situation as a rookie.

This contract doesn’t keep us from keeping anyone internally. It doesn’t keep us from adding anything superior. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kramxel said:

Chark rubbing his hands, Chargers fans celebrating and Browns fans laughing all the way with Cooper...

Holly overpay!

Just now, RaidersAreOne said:

Funny enough but yea I am taking Cooper at 20 over Kirk at 18+ any day.

The one complication with Cooper's deal is that it's a flat 20M per each of the next three seasons. Much harder to work in than a similarly large deal (but newly signed) that may be half that in the first year.

2 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Funny enough but yea I am taking Cooper at 20 over Kirk at 18+ any day.

Mike Williams just got $20M without even hitting the open market.

Was saying after that happened Amari at $20M is perfectly fine.

2 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

Adams is going to want 30 per. Good god.

That could have easily been the case anyway to be honest. The top of the market was already 27. The top of hte edge market is 28 and I fully expect Bosa to hit 30 

• Like 1