Ms. Marvel - Disney+ - June 8th - First Trailer

Acgott

I know nothing about Ms Marvel or the tone or vibe of her comics and character....but my general impression of that trailer is.....laughably horrendous.    I suppose its trying to appeal to a niche audience, but that trailer looked straight off of CW....and actually out CW's the CW.   

Looks like a tween fanfiction put on screen.

But hey....if it appeals to the audience they are targeting, so be it.

36 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Marvel has really been trying to stretch into new sub genres the past couple years, and this leans into one they haven't hit yet, so I get it.  I'll give it a shot.

I’m glad they have some stuff for kids because I have to think at least a tiny bit it helps them justify going that like PG-15, rougher angle on like a Moon Knight.

Like if you are going to put out at least 3 movies a year and at least 4 shows, you can start catering a little more into certain sectors and do things right.

2 hours ago, 43M said:

I know nothing about Ms Marvel or the tone or vibe of her comics and character....but my general impression of that trailer is.....laughably horrendous.    I suppose its trying to appeal to a niche audience, but that trailer looked straight off of CW....and actually out CW's the CW.   

I think that trailer makes it obvious this show isn't geared to the type of people that post on a football forum. This is probably geared more towards middle school aged kids.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 43M said:

Kamala is pretty much that. She’s an Avengers/superhero superfan , particularly a Captain Marvel stan.

Think like how Peter was but even more dialed into them and in awe. Fanfic is pretty spot on how she is.

A lot of that trailer looked like maybe it was her daydreaming about being a hero or making the small stuff she’s doing seem way more grand.

Shes such a new character and is kinda being bumped up with the first generation of legacy characters compared to where she came in in the comics. Interested to see where she goes, kinda have an open path to do whatever. I wonder if they plan to go the jaded Ahsoka route or keep her upbeat going forward.

The young actress seemed likeable, and sweet which is kind of a make or break thing for a character like that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 43M said:

The character is definitely meant for a younger and female audience 

New Ms. Marvel. | Ms marvel, Marvel, Comics

• Like 2

On 3/15/2022 at 7:12 AM, Acgott said:

I liked the trailer. Not sure if the show will be good. But something about the trailer just works for what they’re going for if that makes sense.

Edited by Xenos

On 3/15/2022 at 10:21 AM, The Gnat said:

I really like that trailer. Yes, it changes her past, but I doubt we see Inhumans for a long time, and they can always retcon it that her band is how Inhuman powers are activated if they want. The big thing that I like is it feels like the right tone for the character. This should be a young adult style show, just better budget and special effects than the CW.

Yeah this is how I feel also. Everything just fits what they’re going for. I’m not expecting dark and serious.

On 3/16/2022 at 4:38 AM, AlexGreen#20 said:

This has a chance to be worse than Batwoman. 

I'm very excited to see the depths that Marvel can plummet to with this one. 

How? It looks like it’s deliberately trying to be for kids versus whatever Batwoman was.

On 3/19/2022 at 9:04 PM, 43M said:

She was the first of the race swapped, "political propoganda aimed at children" characters.

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

She was the first of the race swapped, "political propoganda aimed at children" characters.

She's a new character, not race swapped...

Race swapping is what they did for The Ancient One. 
They shifted Carol over to being Captain Marvel (large part do to the legal battle with DC and Shazam), so the Ms. Marvel moniker was unused.
They didn't get rid of anyone in either the comics or now MCU.

She's just a normal American kid from a background that hadn't been explored much at all up until that point.

I'd ask how that's political propaganda, if I didn't already know what the answer would be.
I get it, people like what they like...but it's weird to also feel the need to hate so many things so much that are trying to do something for other people just on that principle.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

but it's weird to also feel the need to hate so many things so much that are trying to do something for other people just on that principle.

Not targeted to anyone specific but generally there are a lot of people who think celebrating other groups means you are anti-main group.

If you cant be pro anything worth a damn, you might as well be against something

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

She's a new character, not race swapped...

Race swapping is what they did for The Ancient One. 
They shifted Carol over to being Captain Marvel (large part do to the legal battle with DC and Shazam), so the Ms. Marvel moniker was unused.
They didn't get rid of anyone in either the comics or now MCU.

She's just a normal American kid from a background that hadn't been explored much at all up until that point.

I'd ask how that's political propaganda, if I didn't already know what the answer would be.
I get it, people like what they like...but it's weird to also feel the need to hate so many things so much that are trying to do something for other people just on that principle.

She took over the mantle of Ms. Marvel. A role that was originally carried by Carol Danvers. It then went to Sharon Ventura and then Karla Sofen. 

The Ancient One is a title ala Sorcerer Supreme ala Ms. Marvel. There's no way that one was race swapping and one wasn't. Thank you for making my point. 

It was a new character in the sense that Kamala Khan is new, but Ms. Marvel has existed in many forms for a while. Had she simply taken over the mantle at some random point in time, nobody would have cared. But she did it in 2013 in the midst of Marvel's diversity push.

+

How is it Political Propoganda? Gee, I don't know, it's not like the artist tweeted this out and Marvel didn't do **** for discipline.

Phil Noto Revises His Civil War II #0 Kamala Khan Ms Marvel Cover Art In  Reaction To Trump's Immigration Ban | Civil war 2 marvel, Captain marvel,  Ms marvel