Ms. Marvel - Disney+ - June 8th - First Trailer

Acgott

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

1. What racist rhetoric? You're making stuff up now. 

2. He came in and called me a Snowflake. I had no conversation with him previously. He jumped in with the personal attack. Both of these Mods jumped in with personal attacks, I'm just responding. 

re 1. there are plenty of avenues of education on race far better than anything I can provide you. the resources are out there. the rhetoric and arguments you're using here are incredibly problematic, imo

2. that's an incredibly weird defense for misogynistic language. Your response to a perceived 'personal attack' is to tell someone "it makes their lady parts tingle"? 

5 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

re 1. there are plenty of avenues of education on race far better than anything I can provide you. the resources are out there. the rhetoric and arguments you're using here are incredibly problematic, imo

2. that's an incredibly weird defense for misogynistic language. Your response to a perceived 'personal attack' is to tell someone "it makes their lady parts tingle"? 

1. What argument that I'm using is problematic. Show me the post. Tell me how it's problematic. Don't just clutch your pearls and gasp horribly because I was critical of a piece of media with a minority protagonist. That isn't racist, and pretending like it is is infantilizing minorities. They don't need you to ride in and white knight for them. 

2. I edited my post. The personal attack aspect doesn't change. How is "it makes their lady parts tingle" more offensive than "it gives you a boner"?

Edited by AlexGreen#20

7 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

1. What argument that I'm using is problematic. Show me the post. Tell me how it's problematic. Don't just clutch your pearls and gasp horribly because I was critical of a piece of media with a minority protagonist. That isn't racist, and pretending like it is is infantilizing minorities. They don't need you to ride in and white knight for them. 

2. I edited my post. The personal attack aspect doesn't change. How is "it makes their lady parts tingle" more offensive than "it gives you a boner"?

1. you're literally upset that a minority is the lead and calling it political propaganda 

2. I don't think either phrase is appropriate, but your response was your version of "defending yourself" and lashing out with what you perceive as a personal attack. you went to "it makes your lady parts tingle" so there's a misogynistic undertone there given the context.

I think it's probably about time to shift discussion back to Ms. Marvel though and not whatever this nonsense is. If you wish to discuss further, please DM myself or another mod.

6 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

lmao that rules. I gotta read that.

Please tell me they made him weak to apple cider.

He basically has a YouTube channel that radicalizes people, and these people became an elite terrorist part of Hydra. 

It's as stupid as it sounds. 

1 minute ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

1. you're literally upset that a minority is the lead and calling it political propaganda 

2. I don't think either phrase is appropriate, but your response was your version of "defending yourself" and lashing out with what you perceive as a personal attack. you went to "it makes your lady parts tingle" so there's a misogynistic undertone there given the context.

I think it's probably about time to shift discussion back to Ms. Marvel though and not whatever this nonsense is. If you wish to discuss further, please DM myself or another mod.

No, absolutely not. 

You don't get to launch your response AND THEN say, conversation is over. You either end the conversation without getting in the last word, or you respond and let me respond. What you just did is chicken ****. 

1. I'm not upset that a minority character is a lead. And I'm not calling it political propaganda because a minority character is the lead. Characterizing it like that is cowardly and dishonest. 

I'm calling it political propaganda because it literally is political propaganda. This is what political propaganda aimed at children looks like. And if you're cool with political propaganda aimed at children, because it's your side doing it, that's fine. But then own that ****. 

Don't cowardly hide behind insults of ists and isms.  

Muslim American superhero Kamala Khan has become a real-world protest icon  - Vox

https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/2/2/14457384/kamala-khan-captain-america-protest-icon

2. For all I know Pwny is a non-binary trans unicorn. I don't have any idea what his gender is. Assuming he's a male is problematic, or at least that's what Marvel authors tell me these days. 

38 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Per Feige:

“Marvel has a very strong record of diversity in its casting of films and regularly departs from stereotypes and source material to bring its MCU [Marvel Cinematic Universe] to life,” a statement issued at the time said. “The Ancient One is a title that is not exclusively held by any one character, but rather a moniker passed down through time, and in this particular film the embodiment is Celtic.”

Marvel and Stan Lee have not always been Progressive. Progressive didn't mean then what it means now. There are plenty of examples of Spider-Man and Captain America fighting leftist extremists and even standing up to campus political protesters. However, let's say hypothetically that statement is true.

Marvel has traditionally, in their major books with their major characters, portrayed both political sides as having a point, even if one side is flawed (stuff like OG Captain America/Red Skull is an obvious exception with it being not based on modern politics). Magneto/Xavier being the classic example. Even characters like Trask and Stryker have reasons (typically in the form of massacres) for believing that Mutants are horrible and need to be wiped out.

Portraying Conservatives as dumb, violent, racists, with no redeeming qualities is absolutely a thing new to Marvel in the last 15 years. 

+

Luckily it is all opt-in stuff. And as we can see from Comic sales, nobody gives a **** about Ms. Marvel and hasn't in basically a decade. 

A quote around the time of the premiere, fair to bring up. But they were trying to thread a needle on taking out racial stereotypes. 
It's a move Feige has said since he deeply regrets and not something echoed anywhere else.

Progressiveness is always just being progressive, it's doesn't really matter where you get off the train on that one.
They fought the soviets for years too, but they aren't a prevailing force in the world anymore.

Stuff like X-men. Inhumans, a lot of Marvel deals in a world of bigotry, and people hating people for who they are and what they look like.
If that aligns with real world people and ideals well it just is what it is. Can't make up some 3rd group that doesn't exist.

But I just saw @Adrenaline_Flux post as I'm responding we can move on.
don't think this is really going anywhere and like I said for you, just seems like a waste of time.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I at least have the decency to provide evidence of my opinions. 

The rest of this group seems to be more than content to believe that Daddy Disney loves them dearly and would never do anything questionable. 

Disney is a predatory company, specifically about how they pay talent and creators. There are issues there for sure. 

None of that changes or excuses your trash opinions on gender and other social issues.

Diversity in casting is interesting. Superheroes have been like, 100% white for decades. Changing it up has been fun, its brought in a wider fanbase, and frankly helps prevent the repeated iterations of characters from being stale and the same every time

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Tk3 said:

Disney is a predatory company, specifically about how they pay talent and creators. There are issues there for sure. 

None of that changes or excuses your trash opinions on gender and other social issues.

Diversity in casting is interesting. Superheroes have been like, 100% white for decades. Changing it up has been fun, its brought in a wider fanbase, and frankly helps prevent the repeated iterations of characters from being stale and the same every time

@Adrenaline_Flux

Gonna bring the warning, or can I respond to this complete nonsense?

4 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

A quote around the time of the premiere, fair to bring up. But they were trying to thread a needle on taking out racial stereotypes. 
It's a move Feige has said since he deeply regrets and not something echoed anywhere else.

Progressiveness is always just being progressive, it's doesn't really matter where you get off the train on that one.
They fought the soviets for years too, but they aren't a prevailing force in the world anymore.

Stuff like X-men. Inhumans, a lot of Marvel deals in a world of bigotry, and people hating people for who they are and what they look like.
If that aligns with real world people and ideals well it just is what it is. Can't make up some 3rd group that doesn't exist.

But I just saw @Adrenaline_Flux post as I'm responding we can move on.
don't think this is really going anywhere and like I said for you, just seems like a waste of time.

So . . . you admit you saw the warning

And then decided it didn't apply to you so you could spout off?

@Adrenaline_Flux

Are we allowed to talk politics after the warning or not? Seems like everybody wants to get their shots in but doesn't want to have to live with a response. 

Only right think is allowed after warnings? Is that the rule?

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

So . . . you admit you saw the warning

And then decided it didn't apply to you so you could spout off?

@Adrenaline_Flux

Are we allowed to talk politics after the warning or not? Seems like everybody wants to get their shots in but doesn't want to have to live with a response. 

Only right think is allowed after warnings? Is that the rule?

I think you need to calm down here.

Put the phone/laptop away, and go for a walk

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Malfatron said:

I think you need to calm down here.

Put the phone/laptop away, and go for a walk

Bite me. 

It's blatant hypocrisy, and obvious evidence that the Mods on this board don't like following their own rules. 

Having political commentary in a post and then warning a poster for political commentary in the same post is complete nonsense. 

Personal attacks, aren't allowed, unless it's a mod doing it apparently. 

Edited by AlexGreen#20

58 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

He came in and called me a Snowflake. I had no conversation with him previously. He jumped in with the personal attack. Both of these Mods jumped in with personal attacks, I'm just responding. 

Sounds like something a snowflake would say.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Bite me. 

It's blatant hypocrisy, and obvious evidence that the Mods on this board don't like following their own rules. 

Having political commentary in a post and then warning a poster for political commentary in the same post is complete nonsense. 

Personal attacks, aren't allowed, unless it's a mod doing it apparently. 

It mostly reads like everyone else is posting rational well-thought out posts and being very patient with you, and you are being mad online, and are acting very sensitive over being called a snowflake (which is ironic)

So i urge you to please refrain from derailing this thread more, as i have to sift through a lot of stuff to get to the takes on this tv show

• Like 7