9 members have voted

1. 1. Who wants it more

• Ben McAdoo's Blue Bombers
    • Kyle Shanahan's ForgotToRunAganns
    • Jim Tomsula's Pizza Doughnuts
    • Chip Kelly's FastAsHellies
    • Mike Dingleberry's Scary Cherries

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

I want Shanny to play him when he feels he's comfortable enough in the offense to not put the team at a disadvantage. It does us no favors to rush JG on the field before he's ready and comfortbale enough in the scheme to perform at a high level. Personally I doubt he plays against the Hawks. The O-Line is still very much a dumpster fire along the interior and I dont think they'll want to expose him to that front seven in his first live action. I think its more realistically he plays the last 4 games. That gives him a little over six weeks in the scheme and should allow him to be comfortable enough with the plays and personnel by that time to hit the ground running. And four games is enough film to evaluate him and his fit going forward.

I agree with half. I don't think that there should be a specific time table for him. Get him in there when he's comfortable with the playbook, calls, etc. There's no reason to force it. It can be a complicated system from what I understand. I want him to go in with something that is reasonably comparable to a full playbook. That being said, if he knows it, get him in there, regardless of the opponent. Shouldn't be scared about that. 

26 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

Cool, so Colbert becomes the 71st safety on the team to miss a game. Anyone know who the 72nd string safety is?

Haha. With all the bad luck we’ve had there this year the silver lining I find in it all is this is shaping up to be a very good safety draft class. Now while I hope we bring back ReId, and also have Tartt, Ward and Colbert coming back next year I’d like to take a S somewhere in the middle rounds since none of the guys listed seem to have the best injury luck and still haven’t “broken out” so to speak. Let’s keep adding talent to that secondary.

1 hour ago, y2lamanaki said:

Cool, so Colbert becomes the 71st safety on the team to miss a game. Anyone know who the 72nd string safety is?

We signed Antoine Exum who last played with Minnesota about a week ago so he might be inline to get some snaps. Kid we signed after the Chargers released him early in the season has been on the roster for awhile so maybe he's next up. He fits the mold of Tartt physically@SS. But I believe Exum is the better talent so maybe they move Reid to FS and let Exum start at SS...hard to say at this point. 

8 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

I want Shanny to play him when he feels he's comfortable enough in the offense to not put the team at a disadvantage. It does us no favors to rush JG on the field before he's ready and comfortbale enough in the scheme to perform at a high level. Personally I doubt he plays against the Hawks. The O-Line is still very much a dumpster fire along the interior and I dont think they'll want to expose him to that front seven in his first live action. I think its more realistically he plays the last 4 games. That gives him a little over six weeks in the scheme and should allow him to be comfortable enough with the plays and personnel by that time to hit the ground running. And four games is enough film to evaluate him and his fit going forward.

No one has said to rush Garoppolo if he isn't ready. But I as others have said IF he is ready, then he needs to start regardless of how well Beathard played last game. By the Seahawks game on the 26th, Garoppolo would have been in the system for about 26 or 27 days. He may not be able to master it during that time, but still plenty of time where he could have a good grasp of it. 

As for as the interior OL being a dumpster fire? Sure, but that's not going to magically change in week 13 or 14 either. This is the unit for the rest of the season barring injury. 

5 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

Juice.  We signed him to be a "do a little bit of everything guy" and we need to get our money's worth out of him somehow!

8 hours ago, Fureys49ers said:

Haha. With all the bad luck we’ve had there this year the silver lining I find in it all is this is shaping up to be a very good safety draft class. Now while I hope we bring back ReId, and also have Tartt, Ward and Colbert coming back next year I’d like to take a S somewhere in the middle rounds since none of the guys listed seem to have the best injury luck and still haven’t “broken out” so to speak. Let’s keep adding talent to that secondary.

We could move Ward back to corner next year and go with Reid, Tartt, Colbert and the rookie next season. That'll do for me. Can also use Reid as some kind of LB hybrid, especially if Foster is out and then we'd still have good depth at S.

1 hour ago, AustrianNiner said:

We could move Ward back to corner next year and go with Reid, Tartt, Colbert and the rookie next season. That'll do for me. Can also use Reid as some kind of LB hybrid, especially if Foster is out and then we'd still have good depth at S.

I'm not ready to entrust Colbert a starting safety job yet, but if we re-sign Reid, I think my first impulse would definitely be to put Ward back at corner. Ward and Spoon at corner isn't great, but it's not terrible, and Williams in the slot should be fine. 

Also, while I don't consider it likely (say like less than 5% chance of happening), it has to be noted that Ward isn't a lock to be here next year.  Pretty sure that 5th year option isn't guaranteed even after we pick it up. So he's counting 8.5 against the cap with no dead money. For a guy that has finished 3 of his 4 nfl seasons on IR, I don't think it's a complete total impossibility that they decide to move on. He's been fine as a player  but certainly there has to be some thought that he's been a bit underwhelming.  

31 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Any of you guys see the play where Reid pushed Colbert out the way after making a stop on third and long? Could have easily been turned into a taunting penalty. Reid broke that up real quick. Veteran move there. 

Great vet move. Little things like that snuffed out any momentum we gained previously this year with the dreaded yellow flag...

Colbet__Reid_Breakup_Second_Half.gif

Archived