Baker Mayfield formally requests a trade

TheRealMcCoy

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I don't see how they have leverage at all. He can happily sit out and then go elsewhere next year while they plug in those QB's and maybe win 4 games. I don't think they win 6-7 games with Mullins or Keenum.

If he refuses to play, does he accrue the season?

• Like 1

Maybe I'm just way lower on Baker than most but I am surprised at the overwhelming support of Baker/trashing of the Browns organization. I sympathize with Baker at the human level but on the field I see a QB who absolutely cannot execute without a clean pocket/a clean play, still can't read defenses at a solid level, can't see the middle of the field, and has an injury history and doesn't have the traditional QB temperament (whether or not thats good/bad is debatable). Feels like people are doing some calculus of Baker was 1 overall + looks good in highlights + is very likeable + LOL Browns being a reflex = slapping a narrative that doesn't quite fit. Baker on the 5th year option is fine enough but nothing I'd lose sleep over if I lost it for a year. I don't care that Baker is the best QB in two decades for them, so was Cutler for the Bears, 1 year of RGIII for the Redskins, David Garrard? for the Jags. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

Maybe I'm just way lower on Baker than most but I am surprised at the overwhelming support of Baker/trashing of the Browns organization. I sympathize with Baker at the human level but on the field I see a QB who absolutely cannot execute without a clean pocket/a clean play, still can't read defenses at a solid level, can't see the middle of the field, and has an injury history and doesn't have the traditional QB temperament (whether or not thats good/bad is debatable). Feels like people are doing some calculus of Baker was 1 overall + looks good in highlights + is very likeable + LOL Browns being a reflex = slapping a narrative that doesn't quite fit. Baker on the 5th year option is fine enough but nothing I'd lose sleep over if I lost it for a year. I don't care that Baker is the best QB in two decades for them, so was Cutler for the Bears, 1 year of RGIII for the Redskins, David Garrard? for the Jags. 

I think it has more to do with the fact they were talking **** about him in the press.  You have to close the other deal if that's the route you're going to take.

You look stupid if you can't close the other deal and that's the point we're at now. 

16 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

And here we go with the excuses… the reason he had a Top 10 QB season in 2020 is because everything was perfect around him. Great weapons, Top 3 OL, Top 7-8 HC, Top 3 RB, great everything. Baker is not a guy who can elevate talent. He needs deep resources invested in the offense. This is a complete rarity for most QB’s to have. Hell, other QB’s in his situation like Rodgers, etc would have broken records. 

Fact is Mayfield has been in the league for FOUR years. We know who he is. 

Hell, I see some Raider fans still make excuses for Derek Carr who has been in the league for EIGHT years. We know exactly who Derek Carr is, a somewhat above-average QB who has many limitations. He can have a Top 10 QB season if everything around him is completely perfect head to toe. We also know who Baker is four years in. A average QB. Who can put up a Top 10 QB season if everything is 10000% perfect around him, which is just fantasy most of the time and not realistic. 

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

What was Matthew Stafford after 2012? 2014? When he was benched in 2015?

Not everyone progresses at the same rate, especially those drafted into poverty franchises.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

And here we go with the excuses… the reason he had a Top 10 QB season in 2020 is because everything was perfect around him. Great weapons, Top 3 OL, Top 7-8 HC, Top 3 RB, great everything. Baker is not a guy who can elevate talent. He needs deep resources invested in the offense. This is a complete rarity for most QB’s to have. Hell, other QB’s in his situation like Rodgers, etc would have broken records. 

Hell, I see some Raider fans still make excuses for Derek Carr who has been in the league for EIGHT years. We know exactly who Derek Carr is, a somewhat above-average QB who has many limitations. He can have a Top 10 QB season if everything around him is completely perfect head to toe. We also know who Baker is four years in. A average QB. Who can put up a Top 10 QB season if everything is 10000% perfect around him, which is just fantasy most of the time and not realistic. 

He legit had the worst receiving core in the league. Top 7-8 coach. Lol wut. Stef has proven nothing but beard game. His offensive playcalling has been awful, as have in-game adjustments. Most Browns fans want him to stop calling plays. The team hasn't been disciplined. The locker room, both attributable to Stef AND Baker had been an ish show. Nobody is confusing Stef with Bellichik. Stop believing everything you read. That post about two years of Hue and a year of Freddie is right. This ain't on Baker. They walked him out injured every week and then are trying to play games. 

3 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

He legit had the worst receiving core in the league. Top 7-8 coach. Lol wut. Stef has proven nothing but beard game. His offensive playcalling has been awful, as have in-game adjustments. Most Browns fans want him to stop calling plays. The team hasn't been disciplined. The locker room, both attributable to Stef AND Baker had been an ish show. Nobody is confusing Stef with Bellichik. Stop believing everything you read. That post about two years of Hue and a year of Freddie is right. This ain't on Baker. They walked him out injured every week and then are trying to play games. 

If you can’t see that Baker is an average NFL Starting QB, I don’t know what to tell you. Are you one of those fans that makes excuses for their QB every game? Need a great OL, great WR’s, great everything. If one thing, literally one thing faulters, then nothing is the QB’s fault at that point. Are you one of those fans?

Baker is average. He’s not good. He’s not bad. He’s an average middle of the pack QB. Period. 

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

It’s a business. The Raiders looked at QB’s every offseason, Carr never requested a trade. 

Yes, it is a business. In all business you have to treat people right. Baker doesn’t feel that way so he’s requested a trade. Nothing wrong with that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

LMFAO

Browns: "Hey Baker, we're moving on and trying to sign Watson beacuse we want an adult in the room."

Baker: "Okay wow wtf?"

Browns: "Oh actually hey so uh we're not going after Watson anymore. We love you? COme back?"

Baker: "Nah, I want to be traded."

Browns: "Oh, I don't think so..."

Someone's been coddling him or afraid to piss him off in the building... or both. There is no way he was getting an honest assessment of his play for 3 seasons now. He's clearly the kind of guy you look to upgrade if you can...seems nearly everyone knows that but him. As soon as the season finished he was pointing fingers. As soon as the reports broke about offering a proposal for Watson he wrote a good bye letter.

Really foolish to let that comment slip to Mortensen but the bottom line is he's not played well enough for 3 seasons to be so offended the team is looking past him.

21 minutes ago, BofaDeez54927 said:

I think it has more to do with the fact they were talking **** about him in the press.  You have to close the other deal if that's the route you're going to take.

You look stupid if you can't close the other deal and that's the point we're at now. 

Someone just couldn't resist and popped off with that "adult" comment. I really wonder who that was and in what context they said that. That 100% should've been off the record.

Edited by BrownLeader