Packers trade WR Davante Adams to the Raiders

deltarich87

1 hour ago, Gravedigger93 said:

If there wasn't an offer sheet from the Raiders, the Packers don't have anything to not match. The Raiders probably reached out to the Packers saying we won't provide an offer sheet that you can match, but we would trade XYZ picks for him. Both the Raiders and Packers knew that he isn't gonna play under the tag, so it was negotiations to get the best deal for both parties. And I prefer a 2nd 2022 over a 1st 2023 anyway. One more quality player early with the small window we have with Rodgers.

I just think the Packers should have said .. look, you don't want us to match it then pay us the (2) 1's that the non exclusive franchise tag dictates.  I can't imagine the raiders would have balked at that.  Oh well .. I still think we got a good deal, but maybe could have got more.  And, if the Raiders balk you end up keeping Adams .. which made a lot of sense since the Packers decided to keep Aaron a week before.  It seems odd that Aaron remains and Davante is gone.   Now we are in a spot where we need to add some serious veteran talent at wide receiver if we seriously want to keep pace with the last year or two. 

5 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I just think the Packers should have said .. look, you don't want us to match it then pay us the (2) 1's that the non exclusive franchise tag dictates.  I can't imagine the raiders would have balked at that.  Oh well .. I still think we got a good deal, but maybe could have got more.  And, if the Raiders balk you end up keeping Adams .. which made a lot of sense since the Packers decided to keep Aaron a week before.  It seems odd that Aaron remains and Davante is gone.   Now we are in a spot where we need to add some serious veteran talent at wide receiver if we seriously want to keep pace with the last year or two. 

You could very easily argue that getting two years of a second round guy in this draft might be more attractive than one year out of the 2023 first round guy in our current situation. 

To totally screw up an old saying... a two in hand is worth a one in the bush. 🤷‍♂️

11 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I just think the Packers should have said .. look, you don't want us to match it then pay us the (2) 1's that the non exclusive franchise tag dictates.

Again, the Raiders never signed an offer sheet, so 2 FRP were never in the discussion since they only come up if an offer sheet is signed.

8 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I might be wrong, but I could have sworn they had to be in the same year.

That would eliminate 90% of the teams from going after a guy almost every year. I can't imagine that would be the case, but I've been wrong before, a lot. 

10 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

That would eliminate 90% of the teams from going after a guy almost every year. I can't imagine that would be the case, but I've been wrong before, a lot. 

I can't even find the last time a franchise tagged player signed an offer.  They usually either play out their franchise tag or they sign a long-term deal.

14 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I can't even find the last time a franchise tagged player signed an offer.  They usually either play out their franchise tag or they sign a long-term deal.

Joey Galloway? Sean Gilbert?

33 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I believe Sean Gilbert, franchise tagged in 1997 by Washington who sat out a year and was franchised again was then signed by Carolina who sent the WFT first round picks in 1999 and 2000.

I think this is also the only time this has happened.

Considering the Franchise Tag came out of a settlement between the NFL and NFLPA after the Reggie White et al lawsuit, it doesn't make sense for the tag to have required "two first round picks in one draft" since that would mean this could only ever happen in extraordinary circumstances.  The actual language might be in the settlement since the CBA just says "Two first round draft picks."

Edited by PossibleCabbage
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, wgbeethree said:

Googles Alec Pierce "comparison". First result.... Eric Decker.

I'm not saying. I'm just saying.

Yah when I was reading his scouting reports I got Jordy Nelson. Maybe there is something to it hey?  Speaking of which he is now one of my draft crushes.  Would look real good in the Green and Gold...

Edited by Scoremore

10 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Yeah, I know of a few tag and trades but none were for 2 - FRPs. Jarvis Landry and Frank Clark come immediately to mind. 

Did anybody look at the structure of Adams contract yet? The Raiders could get out of this deal next year with very little dead money. He only got 20 million in guaranteed money. If they want out next year, they could move him before the 20 million roster bonus is due they would only have 15 million in dead money and 15 million in cap savings. 

Davante Adams Contract Details, Salary Cap Charges, Bonus Money, and Contract History | Over The Cap