Deshaun Watson is a Cleveland Brown

brownie man

16 minutes ago, brownie man said:

I know yall dont see it yet but, 

Deshaun is going to bring to the Browns what Donovan Mitchell is bringing to the Cavs right now. 

You can't see it now, but by the end of the season you'll understand. 

No way man. You aren't going to convince anyone in this forum that Watson will be or is supposed to be good. That is outlandish.

I guess we'll see though. If you are right you can say you told us so.

I just don't understand why you would only give up three 1sts and change and sign him for only 230 million guaranteed if you actually expected something out of him.

Edited by Thomas5737
  • Like 5

• 3 months later...
7 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

How was Watson last season btw? Hard to gauge I suppose given how much time he missed. Are people losing it over his contract or what's the verdict in Browns town?

I don't think many have much of an opinion yet. Statistically he wasn't great 79 rating). Wins weren't great (3-3). Chubb averaged a rushing TD per game before Watson, 0 per game with Watson.

Fans will give him time, even though he wasn't coming off of an injury, had been with the team all preseason and for weeks before being reinstated and played 6 games this year. He will probably get a pass for most of next year and even if he sucks for the next 4 years there isn't anything the team can do about it so why complain as a fan, he will be starting as long as he is healthy and free until his contract expires.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

How was Watson last season btw? Hard to gauge I suppose given how much time he missed. Are people losing it over his contract or what's the verdict in Browns town?

Everyone hates his contract. Even if he returns to form, that contract was a bad idea for this team.

He was objectively terrible last year. Looked like a bottom 10 QB.

That said, I expect him to be better and get back in the 10-15 range for QB’s at least. The roster still have a ridiculous amount of talent for now, so if he can be good, the team will make a nice run.

I will always hate the trade. & it has nothing to do with his rapey demeanor. Add that in and it makes him an epic failure to this point. Hope I’m wrong. I would kept Baker, but that option would have been equally awful in retrospect. 

I do think we viewed him coming back as “warm-up” performances. We abandoned what we had been doing offensively and seemed to only care about getting Watson acclimated to the NFL again. We got away from Chubb running under center and decided we were gonna be more of a wide open spread team without the personnel to do it. I get the idea, but it was dumb. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Not very good and straight bad sometimes. But also had moments where he made some really nice plays. Think his struggles were a mix of being rusty and just not being comfortable within the offense yet. Also think Stefanski and the coaching staff had a hard time finding a nice balance between running plays that Watson was good at/comfortable with and what the rest of our offense excels at.

I would also add that the W-L record (3-3) should easily have been 4-2, if not 5-1.

Both of those losses I places squarely at the feet of our since departed incompetent DC. Those were both 1000% on coaching. Whether it was scheme or personnel, it never should have happened and was 1000% on coaching.

The New Orleans game. Air temperature no more than 12°. Wind chills even worse. And yet Watson played well enough to have won the game. But the Saints make an adjustment just before the half, targeting the TEs more. They score going into the half, and take the lead then coming out of the half. Game over. We let a DOME - WARM WEATHER team come in and steal our manhood in our own elements.....

Did we adjust to the now featured TEs? Are you kidding me? This is why numbnuts is no longer here.

Then the away PIT game to close the season. ONCE again, the communication issues that dogged this team in the back seven for 2 years reared their ugly head. ANOTHER blown coverage resulting in a walk in TD in what would become a 2 score PIT victory. 

As I said - easily 4-2 or even 5-1 down the stretch. Those would have fueled this fan base with so much more hope this offseason. Those failures won't happen on Schwartz's watch.

Edited by brooks1957
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, brooks1957 said:

I would also add that the W-L record (3-3) should easily have been 4-2, if not 5-1.

Both of those losses I places squarely at the feet of our since departed incompetent DC. Those were both 1000% on coaching. Whether it was scheme or personnel, it never should have happened and was 1000% on coaching.

The New Orleans game. Air temperature no more than 12°. Wind chills even worse. And yet Watson played well enough to have won the game. But the Saints make an adjustment just before the half, targeting the TEs more. They score going into the half, and take the lead then coming out of the half. Game over. We let a DOME - WARM WEATHER team come in and steal our manhood in our own elements.....

Did we adjust to the now featured TEs? Are you kidding me? This is why numbnuts is no longer here.

Then the away PIT game to close the season. ONCE again, the communication issues that dogged this team in the back seven for 2 years reared their ugly head. ANOTHER blown coverage resulting in a walk in TD in what would become a 2 score PIT victory. 

As I said - easily 4-2 or even 5-1 down the stretch. Those would have fueled this fan base with so much more hope this offseason. Those failures won't happen on Schwartz's watch.

The Texans win was all defense and special teams though, 24 of the 27 points had nothing to do with offense.

Scoring 10 against the Saints and blaming the defense is silly also.

• Like 2

Probably right about the NO game T. My frustration stemmed from the fact that in that moment in time we had an opportunity to counter adjust to their adjustment - and yet we did nothing. So, the end result was predictable.

More of an indictment of Joe Woods - who wouldn't know what a halftime adjustment was if it came up and bit him in the posterior.

I get it that a big part of our fan base will never be on board with the Watson trade, and will continue to point to the massive contract ad infinitum.

But my feeling is everything is cast in stone at this point and cannot be changed. The final 6 games last year were in effect an extended training camp for Deshaun. The inconsistency that we dealt with regarding his suspension was damaging, but it is now in the past.

With a full "normal" preseason and then a "normal" launch launch to the 2023 season - I am hoping for better results.

2 hours ago, brooks1957 said:

The final 6 games last year were in effect an extended training camp for Deshaun.

Yeah I think this is what makes me feel better about everything. When defenses were getting as locked in as they ever were going to be, Watson was metaphorically limping through games trying to gain footing. I think he progresses to be significantly closer to what he was in Houston as opposed to what he was for us last year.

With our roster as it stands right now, we can win a title with a good Deshaun Watson. With our roster in 2-3 years, probably not. With limited draft capital and no cap flexibility, the health of this roster overall will likely decline unless we hit on some unbelievable picks late. 

My biggest issue with his contract is that this current squad (and really, probably last year's squad) is the BEST version of this core team that we'll ever have.

16 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

People are using his contract as leverage and expect him to be perfect when in reality Stefanski is still learning how to properly utilize a talent he has never had. 

On 11/2/2022 at 11:49 PM, Thomas5737 said:

No way man. You aren't going to convince anyone in this forum that Watson will be or is supposed to be good. That is outlandish.

I guess we'll see though. If you are right you can say you told us so.

I just don't understand why you would only give up three 1sts and change and sign him for only 230 million guaranteed if you actually expected something out of him.

Nice.Friday Elmo GIF