The Sidney Jones Thread

Phire

8 minutes ago, eagles18 said:

@808 If Jones comes back, he will definitely take over the #2 spot. Mills has exceeded expectations but shouldn't start over him.

I disagree, but we'll see what happens.

If he does get an active gameday spot, I would like him to play some to get experience. 

I don't think Mills has been that great, and would be disappointed if Jones couldn't win the role over him quickly prior to 2018, but if he were to come back week 12 then he's coming in with no OTAs, no preseason, no football in over a year... I really doubt he'd get the role over Mills. Would definitely be better to have him than not have him, but no reason to rush the injury either.

I hope he gets healthy and plays, because there is always a chance 1 or 2 of our starting CB's could get hurt. I don't want him playing if he's not truly 100%  or at least 95%  healthy though. I think he'll be better than Mills the second he steps on the field near full health/explosion.

2 hours ago, Jeezla said:

I think he'll be better than Mills the second he steps on the field near full health/explosion.

Which is almost certainly not gonna be this year.

2 hours ago, Jeezla said:

I hope he gets healthy and plays, because there is always a chance 1 or 2 of our starting CB's could get hurt.

Yeah, I'd like him to start practicing soon and be added to the 53 for depth reasons.

Maybe get him in there for reps, especially in games against weaker opponents where we get out to a decent lead.

Mills has been solid for the most part. I definitely feel he's improved from his rookie year, but I'm basing that just on the broadcasts and not all 22.

Honestly all of our corners have played better than I expected. Robinson has been great in the slot and Douglas has performed admirably for a rookie.

Credit to Cory Undlin for that.

If he's Healthy, you put him on the 53. Competition even at the end if the season is always a good thing.

As mentioned above you never know when a CB or two might go down. Better to get him in a game here or there giving P-Rob/Mills or Rasul a breather then IR with the thought , we're good, we have enough!

Now if he's not a 100% , not ready to go full tilt then IR him and redshirt his entire Rookie season.

However He's not an instant starter the minute he returns (this season) taking Mills spot. Get that out of your head now.

Mills, Robinson and Rasul have played way above...I'm glad he's getting the time he need.

If he's good to go I say yea, activate him and work him in here and there.
That experience will help him for next year.

Who would've thought we'd be pretty good as far as corner depth goes, with so many guys having an argument for a starting spot.

The Eagles have emphasized patience. They have made no promises to play him this season, and Undlin made repeated references to this season or next season. The training staff will make that determination.

Coach Doug Pederson said the Eagles must consider not only whether he’s medically cleared to return, but whether he’s in the physical condition needed to resume playing football. A league source told the Inquirer and Daily News last month that December might be a reasonable time to expect Jones to be fully functional. If that’s the case, the Eagles could decide whether they want to hold Jones until 2018 or activate him for a postseason run.

The Eagles’ cornerbacks are playing better than expected, which offers reason to be patient. They have held their own  with Jalen Mills, Patrick Robinson, and Rasul Douglas as the top three cornerbacks. Ronald Darby, who was expected to be the  No. 1 cornerback this season, should return from a dislocated ankle next week against Dallas.

The training staff is in charge of the physical part of Jones’ recovery, but it’s up to Undlin and the coaching staff to handle the mental part. That’s why the Eagles made it a priority to include Jones in all team activities. He can’t participate in drills, but he’s at every practice in his No. 22 jersey. He’s active in meetings. And he doesn’t miss the game experiences – home and road – because of the organizational decision. (Pederson said he leaves traveling up to the players, but usually the injured non-quarterbacks stay in Philadelphia for rehab. Players on injured reserve haven’t traveled this season.)

Archived