DC Movie Universe

devils1854

I just finished the last hour of the Snyder Cut I nefariously put off watching until today... holy cow. I'm here to tell you, this movie was worth all the hype and WB bending over backwards to let Snyder show HIS vision, it was f*cking amazing, FAR better than the Frankensteined Josstice League. The reshot scenes from Josstice League (meaning Snyder's original footage) have much more context and meaning, Stepphenwolf actually comes across as a menacing villain to give a sh!t about with motivations that are actually developed this time around, the JL members come together much better and are much more fleshed-out and even the leftover action scenes are better in this like the hostage scene with WW (it's almost like reshooting and adding/cutting content matters). The added bits with Darkseid (a live-action iteration of him was long overdue) were a nice bonus as well, it's too bad we'll probably never get to see a sequel.

I'll definitely be picking this up on 4K when it releases. Hopefully with the runaway success of this, WB will realize they done f*cked it up as WB typically does and give us the Ayer cut of Suicide Squad.

Edited by KManX89

I watched the first 4 parts last night and this would’ve been better suited as a season of episodes. No casual viewer of these kind of movies will sit thru 4 freaking hours in a row esp with the indulgent overuse of slow motion. But that being said, it’s clearly superior to the original.  

I can’t believe how much money WB has pumped into this thing tho. The original cost $300m and they’ve clearly injected another $200m into this version with so many reshoots and new CGI heavy sequences.  They could’ve funded another film altogether. 

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

I thought they would have done this and was really surprised when it wasn't. 

WB once again completely ignoring what the MCU is doing.  WandaVision was just the most talked about TV show in the world for two solid months, and the buzz around this is already starting to die.  They should have dragged this thing out until May.

1 hour ago, thrILL! said:

I can’t believe how much money WB has pumped into this thing tho. The original cost $300m and they’ve clearly injected another $200m into this version with so many reshoots and new CGI heavy sequences.  They could’ve funded another film altogether. 

I mean, they only did like 4 days of new filming.

There is absolutely no way they dropped another $200 million. The most that's been reported was $70 million.

Them making this the end of Synder’s trilogy is a smart decision.  They have one chance - ONE CHANCE - to get this right.

The Flash movie needs to address an acknowledge every single DC movie it can, even a Ryan Reynolds cameo, but essentially end everything and start over new.  New Flash, new Batman, new everything.

I NEED A DCEU.  A REAL ONE.  A GOOD ONE.

5 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Them making this the end of Synder’s trilogy is a smart decision.  They have one chance - ONE CHANCE - to get this right.

The Flash movie needs to address an acknowledge every single DC movie it can, even a Ryan Reynolds cameo, but essentially end everything and start over new.  New Flash, new Batman, new everything.

I NEED A DCEU.  A REAL ONE.  A GOOD ONE.

614de537ea516c274f9c95e722fbf9d5.gif

They should throw an insane amount of money at Christopher Nolan to bring the DCEU back to glory. I don't necessarily think they NEED to do a full reboot, but it almost makes more sense now that you're losing Batfleck and Superman, your two biggest stars. I actually like their casting choices for Wonder Woman and Aquaman and I'd hope they could keep those two around, but it almost cheapens this "universe" by having a new Batman, Superman, and Joker. And it doesn't help they they ruined their two strongest villains (Joker & Luthor). Neither one comes off as threatening in any sense of the word. General Zod was by far the best villain of this universe.

THEY JUST NEED TO STOP PUTTING MORE MOVIES INTO PRODUCTION!

Just stop.  Cancel what you can.  Finish what you can’t cancel.

Then take a year to find someone - anyone - with a love for the comics and a proven ability to make a superhero movie.  Whoever that is, let them start with Batman.  A young Batman who wants to do this for the next 30 years of their life.  

Let the first Batman introduce solely Batman.  Throw in Easter Eggs (newspaper clippings about Mars, strange event in whatever little town Superman is in, weird ocean wildlife behavior) all in the form of news blurbs and background conversation etc.

Let the same director go immediately to Batman 2.  In Batman 2 the world opens up a little bit more.  Five years later and people mention Superman and a couple others by name.  Introduce The Joker in this one, an you’re gonna have to get a Joker who is in it for the long haul, too.  Joker’s not the main villain, just (what Batman thinks) is a temporary nuisance.  Batman actually used detective skills to uncover the first Justice League threat.  Bad example, but the person bombing things is doing it for a reason through a shadow corporation that’s linked to _______.   Have someone cameo at the end in their alter ego (Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Flash, anyone).

Then you make Superman.  Do a proper, not pretentious 4th of July car commercial origin story on Superman that gets to present day.  No monster fight scenes, Superman is still trying to hide it.  At the end yeah, but no skyscraper wrecker fight.  Cant justify people hating Superman, gotta just justify their fear of what he’s capable of.

THEN, after you’ve introduced Batman, you’ve introduced Superman and you’ve had cameos of one, maybe two other Justice League characters, THEN you can do some Suicide Squad movie if you want to introduce some of your plethora of rogues gallery villains.

Then you make Aquaman, Wonder Woman, The Flash and you feature Batman heavily, but it leads directly to...

Justice League.

Like it’s not that ****ing hard.

1 hour ago, seminoles1 said:

I mean, they only did like 4 days of new filming.

There is absolutely no way they dropped another $200 million. The most that's been reported was $70 million.

4 days of new filming?  If they were 24 hr days maybe but they clearly shot more than that.  There is so much new content and I'm only halfway thru this behemoth.  WB easily breezed past that reported $70m in the first half.  They also redid or enhanced the majority of the CGI in the film (Steppenwolf looks soooooo much better) and that costs serious loot.  The battle scene from 5000 yrs ago alone cost a fortune to create.  So unless the 2nd half of this cut is heavy on Whedon's version (and I can't see Snyder doing that at all), I think $200m is a realistic number.

1 hour ago, LinebackerGod said:

They should throw an insane amount of money at Christopher Nolan to bring the DCEU back to glory. I don't necessarily think they NEED to do a full reboot, but it almost makes more sense now that you're losing Batfleck and Superman, your two biggest stars. I actually like their casting choices for Wonder Woman and Aquaman and I'd hope they could keep those two around, but it almost cheapens this "universe" by having a new Batman, Superman, and Joker. And it doesn't help they they ruined their two strongest villains (Joker & Luthor). Neither one comes off as threatening in any sense of the word. General Zod was by far the best villain of this universe.

It doesn't even have to be Nolan. You just gotta find someone that is willing to FULLY invest in its success. It might not even be a director. Find your Kevin Feige. 

• Like 1

Just now, thrILL! said:

4 days of new filming?  If they were 24 hr days maybe but they clearly shot more than that.  There is so much new content and I'm only halfway thru this behemoth.  WB easily breezed past that reported $70m in the first half.  They also redid or enhanced the majority of the CGI in the film (Steppenwolf looks soooooo much better) and that costs serious loot.  The battle scene from 5000 yrs ago alone cost a fortune to create.  So unless the 2nd half of this cut is heavy on Whedon's version (and I can't see Snyder doing that at all), I think $200m is a realistic number.

A lot of the "new" is what Snyder already filmed ages ago that was done over is my understanding. Stuff on the cutting room floor. None of Whedon's footage is in this I thought?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

Literally the only reported new scene was the new Knightmare scene. Everything else, filming wise, was from when Snyder was in charge of principal photography. The $70 million was to finish SFX from that and the minimal new shooting.

The differences you're talking about are from the 6 weeks of reshoots that Whedon shot for the theatrical cut. Snyder/WB already had all this footage and simply threw money at it to finish CGI and make a couple changes. It was a relatively cheap way to put out a new movie during the pandemic.

The history lesson battle scene was in the theatrical cut as well...but I guess that does show how memorable the Whedon cut is.

Edited by seminoles1
  • Like 1