DC Movie Universe

devils1854

47 minutes ago, RaiderX said:

Would prefer they put someone who is familiar with universe as a whole to oversee, much like Feige. 

do you know he's not? Based on his projects and the way he dressed when attending SDCC, he seems like a massive nerd to me. 

Honestly this is the exact move I championed a few pages back:

3 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

do you know he's not? Based on his projects and the way he dressed when attending SDCC, he seems like a massive nerd to me. 

I know nothing of his work, so I cant really comment on him one way or the other.   

However, its more than just KNOWING the source material.   

Zach Snyder knew the source material.   
Greg Berlanti knows the source material.   
Geoff Johns knows the source material.   

Each have massively failed doing DC related projects because none of them really RESPECTED the source material.   Maybe to a point, but not entirely.

If WBD doesnt find someone that KNOWS, LOVES and RESPECTS the material, they are going to continue struggling in the same way.

Is this guy the answer?   Maybe....maybe not.   I hope so....but probably not.   

Time will tell.

Big franchises he was a part of 

IT, Lego Movie, Godzilla / King Kong, Sherlock Holmes (Downey)

With a lot of reboots and genre tv tossed in.

I can see the fit for this type of role. I think all of those tried to do something a little different and make fun choices than the paint by numbers they could have been.

Which who knows if he has anything to do with that, but here’s to hoping.

Way WB/Discovery has been going it doesn’t make me think they are aiming for comic accuracy with this next attempt. They need franchises to help dig them out of debt. So they can get both done, but there is one way they’ll go if they have to choose. I hope he can build up the rep to get smaller stuff made like Feige does.

2 hours ago, Kiltman said:

a little different and make fun choices than the paint by numbers they could have been.

Way WB/Discovery has been going it doesn’t make me think they are aiming for comic accuracy with this next attempt. 

I hope he can build up the rep to get smaller stuff made like Feige does.

Thing is, Feige built his reputation largely with comic accuracy and a paint by numbers approach.   Not to say he took zero artistic liberties, but he didnt deviate too far from what the characters were, especially the more popular ones.

And a big issue many have with the DCEU is how poorly it actually represents beloved DC characters.

Deviating from comic accuracy is not the way they should be approaching it, especially if they want franchises.

Thus far, nothing Zaslov and WBD has done or are reportedly doing tells me they will handle the DCEU any better that it has been the last decade.   A change in direction is good, but that doesnt necessarily mean its the right direction.

I suppose we'll eventually find out.    

3 hours ago, 43M said:

Thing is, Feige built his reputation largely with comic accuracy and a paint by numbers approach.   Not to say he took zero artistic liberties, but he didnt deviate too far from what the characters were, especially the more popular ones.

And a big issue many have with the DCEU is how poorly it actually represents beloved DC characters.

Deviating from comic accuracy is not the way they should be approaching it, especially if they want franchises.

Thus far, nothing Zaslov and WBD has done or are reportedly doing tells me they will handle the DCEU any better that it has been the last decade.   A change in direction is good, but that doesnt necessarily mean its the right direction.

I suppose we'll eventually find out.    

I agree, I’m being pessimistic on them figuring it out. Zero confidence in Zaslov and what’s going on over there.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2022 at 5:38 PM, Deadpulse said:

Ideally Johns was the guy and he's buddies with Feige. But given how poorly received WW84 was, most people (including myself) are ok he's not running it anymore.

On 8/25/2022 at 9:35 PM, 43M said:

I know nothing of his work, so I cant really comment on him one way or the other.   

However, its more than just KNOWING the source material.   

Zach Snyder knew the source material.   
Greg Berlanti knows the source material.   
Geoff Johns knows the source material.   

Each have massively failed doing DC related projects because none of them really RESPECTED the source material.   Maybe to a point, but not entirely.

If WBD doesnt find someone that KNOWS, LOVES and RESPECTS the material, they are going to continue struggling in the same way.

Is this guy the answer?   Maybe....maybe not.   I hope so....but probably not.   

Time will tell.

Seemed like Snyder only ever wanted to do Frank Miller type stuff.  RESPECTING the source material is the key thing as you said. Otherwise you get people with Big ideas but have no idea how to execute them ala Snyder.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RaiderX said:

Seemed like Snyder only ever wanted to do Frank Miller type stuff.  RESPECTING the source material is the key thing as you said. Otherwise you get people with Big ideas but have no idea how to execute them ala Snyder.

Snyder also wanted to make dark, twisted versions of DC characters, and we kind of saw hints of that.

Didnt he say something like "Batman could be raped in my universe"?    He said something along those lines before BvS came out, but that may not have been exactly what he said.  

On 8/27/2022 at 5:07 PM, 43M said:

Snyder also wanted to make dark, twisted versions of DC characters, and we kind of saw hints of that.

Didnt he say something like "Batman could be raped in my universe"?    He said something along those lines before BvS came out, but that may not have been exactly what he said.  

He talked about Bruce Wayne being raped in prison. His lil 3 movie JL plan was ridiculous. Superman was basically a cuck and raised Lois and Bruce's kid.

• Like 1