DC Movie Universe

devils1854

14 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Good for James, probably means his time at Marvel is wrapping up?

Yeah, I always thought he would take some time off after GOTG3. It’s a 4 year deal at DC, so he could always come back. That’s not a long time for movie universes

45 minutes ago, Acgott said:

Yeah, I always thought he would take some time off after GOTG3. It’s a 4 year deal at DC, so he could always come back. That’s not a long time for movie universes

Really, that short? Can’t do too much yeah.

Basically gets them til WB/D can be sold and that be finalized, makes sense. Everything they are doing now is supposedly to get it all ready to be bought.

Not sure how to feel about this.    Really depends on his vision for DC.    Suicide Squad was pretty good, but Patty Jenkins did well with the original Wonder Woman, and subsequently exposed when given more creative control.   Hoping that doesnt happen here.  

I could easily see this going either way.

56 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

TBF, short of Fiege, is there anyone you'd NOT say this about?

Probably not....but people praise Gunn so much, and I dont think its as much of a slam dunk as others think it is.

Im very cautiously optimistic.

1 minute ago, 43M said:

Probably not....but people praise Gunn so much, and I dont think its as much of a slam dunk as others think it is.

Im very cautiously optimistic.

Like you, I don't think anyone would be a slam dunk. Hell I don't think Fiege could recreate the wheel twice. Some people would arguing he is already failing the second time round. Not me, but some people. 

Truth be told, DC is gonna have to get lucky to see similar success. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

Some people would arguing he is already failing the second time round. Not me, but some people. 

Even if you like current direction of Marvel (I dont), I dont think most would argue that the current MCU us anything close to the pre Endgame MCU.....and thats not even necessarily a knock as much as its just the reality of the situation.   

As you alluded to, the pre Endgame MCU was lightning in a bottle.   The chances of doing anything close to that again were and are very slim.

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

Truth be told, DC is gonna have to get lucky to see similar success. 

I dont think it will come close.  

I think the DC brand is too tarnished.  Not to say it cant have more success and consistency than it did previously, but I dont think it will ever sniff the MCU.   Maybe if they completely rebooted and started fresh in 5 years, but that clearly isnt the plan.  

Gunn has to figure out how to course correct and retcon the current DCEU...which will be tough since they still have a couple controversial $200m+ movies hanging in the balance that could seriously hurt WBD if they fail.

Wasn’t sure exactly how to take this, love a lot of what Gunn has done in the space. But there have been some misses that be not landed the best with me.

But then when I think about it he’s a guy who loved the idea of making Polka Dot man a character you root for and love. Like all those characters in suicide squad. Same with Marvel.

DC has been led by people who don’t care at all about the comics or are inept at making films. Gunn is neither and that’s exciting.

If they cancel the Reevesverse I’ll be pissed, but have at the rest of it.

2 hours ago, 43M said:

Even if you like current direction of Marvel (I dont), I dont think most would argue that the current MCU us anything close to the pre Endgame MCU.....and thats not even necessarily a knock as much as its just the reality of the situation.   

As you alluded to, the pre Endgame MCU was lightning in a bottle.   The chances of doing anything close to that again were and are very slim.

personally think its unfair to compare it to the entirety of a saga when its barely even a phase yet. That being said, their using Disney+ to give people new and different offerings than just "this is a comic movie". Wasn't the case during the Infinity Saga. Obviously that is not for everyone. Loki is Doctor Who esque scifi thriller, Wandavision is a genre bending trauma exploration, Ms Marvel is a coming of age minority story, She-Hulk was a lawyer sitcom, FWS was a military action thriller. Honestly I think you remove the Disney+ stuff from the equation. I also think you are gonna compare the start of a saga with anything, its the start of the saga. So for me, the question is do these movies:

Black Widow
Shang-Chi
Multiverse of Madness
Love and Thunder
Eternals
No Way Home

Stack up to:

Iron Man
The Incredible Hulk
Thor
Captain America: The First Avenger

to me that answer is yes. Both sets have strong examples (Iron Man, No Way Home, Shang-Chi). Both sets have mid examples (First Avenger, Black Widow). Both sets have not so good examples (Hulk, Thor, Eternals). 

3 hours ago, 43M said:

I dont think it will come close.  

I think the DC brand is too tarnished.  Not to say it cant have more success and consistency than it did previously, but I dont think it will ever sniff the MCU.   Maybe if they completely rebooted and started fresh in 5 years, but that clearly isnt the plan.  

Gunn has to figure out how to course correct and retcon the current DCEU...which will be tough since they still have a couple controversial $200m+ movies hanging in the balance that could seriously hurt WBD if they fail.

On the one hand I agree that they arent likely to come close. On the other, I don't think a 5 year hiatus is needed. If they can string releases together a few quality/decent flicks with at least one banger, people will flock and the box office will rejoice. 

1 hour ago, Kiltman said:

If they cancel the Reevesverse I’ll be pissed, but have at the rest of it.

I could go either way on that.    Pattinson doesn't seem overly committed to the role, and that worries me.    I really enjoyed it, but I wouldn't be exactly sad if they moved away from it IF they had a better direction in mind.

I wouldnt mind theM doing a soft reboot where the only movies that are part of the new DCEU would be...

Man of Steel

Aquaman

Shazam

Gunn Squad 

Black Adam

Then, release Shazam 2 and Aquaman 2.

Either dump the Flash or release it to HBO Max.

Pretend none of the other movies exist.

Recast Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash and Lex Luthor.