DC Movie Universe

devils1854

4 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

I agree with most of this. But you're going to lose the larger general audience. I know several people who went to see Joker thinking it was a Batman movie. They were utterly disappointed, especially the ones who took kids, and refuse to go back to see DC. Yes, they're dumb for not looking into it before taking kids. But for those who went kid free, they tend to try and avoid spoilers and do no research prior.

As much as I think that we could skip the origins, most can't. It's crazy how much I've had to explain to some people when watching past DC stuff. "Why is Robins suit on display and why are there bullet holes?" "Why is Batman so angry and killing people?" "Who is the machine guy with the red eye?"... etc.

Primary characters like Batman have had their origin story told enough times in the last 10-15 years that I think we can skip them. But the last time characters like Grayson, Barbara, etc were on screen has been somewhere around 25-30 years ago. And you even said Grayson is Robin. Do you really think that enough people will know about Todd, Drake, etc? Their story should be told on screen imo. Just need to find actors willing to sign on for the long haul.

I agree, they’ll need to find the right in point for each portion of the universe.

And if they are starting in DC year 2025, doesn’t mean they can’t play with going back in the individual characters stories.

Like instead of Batman’s origin opening the film, what if you slow play the reveal that it’s the night the Grayson’s died. Bruce sees himself orphaned and takes D¡ck in. You can keep it there -> back to modern day or just set the film mostly in the past. Really you could set a bunch of Batman films in the past in universe to get around being robbed of the insular Gotham storytelling once you inject the rest of DC into it. 

Batman: Skip
   Robin or Batgirl: Keep
   Harley, Joker, Penguin: Skip
   Two-face, Mister Freeze: Keep

Superman: Skip it being the focus, but show some Smallville stuff.
   Lex: Show, bring us in for his downward spiral
    Lois: show, need to be on board for the love of that relationship.

Wonderman: Skip, but can do a period piece.

Aquaman: Skip, just have him be king of Atlantis . Hell if you wanted to the follow up to both films could be Atlanteans v Amazonians, egged on by whomever you choose.

Green Lantern: Keep, they could be a huge part of the story. Do it right.

Flash: sorta Keep, need to endear the new Flash somehow. If they are making it more humorous I could see O’Brian or whoever they get to be Barry go back and recap his life in this new reality. 

Shazam: Skip

Constantine: Skip, he works fine as not knowing the start. Others need more setup.

Martian Manhunter, Cyborg, everyone else: 

Titans, Booster Gold, Blue Beetle: Show, GA have no idea who they are.

Can skip the prologues, not giant chapters

We've got some clarification and new inofrmation from a new report and James Gunn.

-Wonder Woman 3 is not dead, but Patty Jenkins left the project after the notes she received from Michael De Luca and Pam Abdy, co-heads of WB Pictures, about her treatment she turned it.  Gunn and Safran were not part of that decision, but agreed it didn't work.  Jenkins was upset, lashed out, and refused to turn in another idea so she left the project

-Mamoa playing a different character in the DCU going forward is still just a rumor

-Henry Cavill announcing his return as Superman was not part of the plan going forward.  He did that on his own

-James Gunn tweets in response to the stories below:

10 hours ago, Kiltman said:

Batman: Skip
   Robin or Batgirl: Keep
   Harley, Joker, Penguin: Skip
   Two-face, Mister Freeze: Keep

Superman: Skip it being the focus, but show some Smallville stuff.
   Lex: Show, bring us in for his downward spiral
    Lois: show, need to be on board for the love of that relationship.

Wonderman: Skip, but can do a period piece.

Aquaman: Skip, just have him be king of Atlantis . Hell if you wanted to the follow up to both films could be Atlanteans v Amazonians, egged on by whomever you choose.

Green Lantern: Keep, they could be a huge part of the story. Do it right.

Flash: sorta Keep, need to endear the new Flash somehow. If they are making it more humorous I could see O’Brian or whoever they get to be Barry go back and recap his life in this new reality. 

Shazam: Skip

Constantine: Skip, he works fine as not knowing the start. Others need more setup.

Martian Manhunter, Cyborg, everyone else: 

Titans, Booster Gold, Blue Beetle: Show, GA have no idea who they are.

Can skip the prologues, not giant chapters

Agreed with a lot of this.  Buty let's also keep in mind that they could copy the Marvelk route and use mini series' to introduce the newer characters instead of a ton of origin movies.

We know Batman, Superman, and if they keep Gadot, then we have WW.  Personally, I would like to see them go the Defenders route with the Teen Titans (fully acknowledging that the show is running).  Have like a 6 episode mini series for each character and reintroduce them as a group in another movie, like Marvel did with Spiderman.  You can do something similar with Batman's rouge gallery, as I was thinking that was the point of the planned Arkham series, if that's still on the table.  

We know DC loves to try to catch up in a hurry, but using the HBO Max platform could help it be made in a way that satidfies even the most hard core fans who absolutely hated the DCEU.

• Like 1

Patty Jenkins should be thankful she was even beung considered for WW3 after the absolute laughable embarrassment that was WW84.    She was given complete creative control for that and exposed her limitations as a screenwriter and storyteller.   The first movie had its flaws but was at least watchable.   

And now she is acting entitled because she cant have complete control again?

Dump her.    

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, 43M said:

Patty Jenkins should be thankful she was even beung considered for WW3 after the absolute laughable embarrassment that was WW84.    She was given complete creative control for that and exposed her limitations as a screenwriter and storyteller.   The first movie had its flaws but was at least watchable.   

And now she is acting entitled because she cant have complete control again?

Dump her.    

Laughed at the headlines that put Patyy Jenkins mic drop as if she did anything close to that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, August4th said:

I hope they don't do a connected universe thing like the MCU

Thats absolutely what they are doing.  James Gunn already confirmed EVERYTHING will be connected once he takes over, including movies, TV shows and video games.   

Its all about money, and to do that they have to create long term interest.   The MCU wouldn't be nearly as successful without a connected universe, and neither will DC.   Sure, maybe certain characters and films will have success, but if they want to introduce and establish new characters and get audiences invested into them, a connected universe is the only way to do that.

That being said, I wish videogames weren't included in on that.

9 hours ago, 43M said:

Thats absolutely what they are doing.  James Gunn already confirmed EVERYTHING will be connected once he takes over, including movies, TV shows and video games.   

Its all about money, and to do that they have to create long term interest.   The MCU wouldn't be nearly as successful without a connected universe, and neither will DC.   Sure, maybe certain characters and films will have success, but if they want to introduce and establish new characters and get audiences invested into them, a connected universe is the only way to do that.

That being said, I wish videogames weren't included in on that.

Yeah I kinda hate the idea of Video Games being beholden to the films.

Unless the idea is like “we are starting Batman year 10, get to experience stuff in year 2-9”. And they are thinking so globally to actually set up the universe so much.

And even then it’s kinda limiting.

On 12/9/2022 at 5:43 PM, seminoles1 said:

Agreed. Hopefully those are just side stories with no impact on the overall universe. Like significantly smaller imprints than even She-Hulk.

I think theres a chance were overthinking the Video Game stuff. I could see it being less about the Stories being cannon, but they are going to use the Likeness from the films in those video games, to keep your emersion in their Universe.

Like the new actor for Superman in the movies (Cavil or not) will be used as the model/voice for the one used in the Video Game. If they are open-ish world, they could hide hints inside them for future movies or whatever.

In theory it sounds like something they could want (having the games be cannon) but once you actually get into practice, all the stories and side missions that go into it, not to mention timelines of video games, just dont make it realistic

3 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

I think theres a chance were overthinking the Video Game stuff. I could see it being less about the Stories being cannon, but they are going to use the Likeness from the films in those video games, to keep your emersion in their Universe.

Like the new actor for Superman in the movies (Cavil or not) will be used as the model/voice for the one used in the Video Game. If they are open-ish world, they could hide hints inside them for future movies or whatever.

In theory it sounds like something they could want (having the games be cannon) but once you actually get into practice, all the stories and side missions that go into it, not to mention timelines of video games, just dont make it realistic

Gunn just said everything would be connected.     To what extent remains to be seen, but I wish they would be completely disconnected so they could just do their own thing.

Best way they could potentially do their own thing while staying connected is the multiverse, but I am worried that wont be the case.