QB Dwayne Haskins dead at 24

CBears019

25 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

So in the Steelers forum a tweet was just shared.

Apparently Haskins had a flat tire and was attempting to cross the West bound lane and was struck by a dump truck. 

Likely a situation where he wasn't intiially seen and it turned into a very tragic series of events. 

It happened on 595 just past 6:30 this morning. I was still awake and saw the first reports on local news here in Miami. They said a pedestrian was hit and traffic was being diverted to 95.

Now I wake up and find out the pedestrian was Dwayne Haskins. Gad. Very sad news. Apparently he had some type of minor car trouble, either a flat tire or running out of gas. 

Obviously it's never a good idea to cross lanes on foot. We may not have hills here but there are subtle elevation changes and blind spots on these freeways. He may have been lulled into complacency by the early hour and comparative lack of traffic on 595 in relation to 95, which is a madhouse in South Florida and one of  the most dangerous stretches in the country.

My practice is not only to pull off the freeway but beyond the shoulder. I'll go down the embankment onto the grass, if possible. I've done that many times. Otherwise if you remain on the shoulder it's almost like you become a target. Drivers become mesmerized and angle straight toward you. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

3. Third and finally, I thought "Adam Schefter is saying something accurate, he is just saying it at a horrific time. Haskins dying so young is tragic, but it doesnt change that his career trajectory was super suspect. You just dont say that when breaking this kind of news, its a D move."

Hey, and now you’re also making a D move. Funny how that works

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

This is a dumb question, but arent you supposed to call a tow company and 911 if your car breaks down in a dangerous spot? 

Definitely numbers to call, cops will come out if you are on the highway and put up flares, stuff like that.

My tire flew off one day like 5 years ago on the highway and had to veer off onto a half shoulder. I crawled into the passenger seat to minimize a direct hit, but also so I could safely get out when needed. Called the cops, then AAA from there. Cop came quick and put flares down for me.

He was super young still, people twice his age don’t always think of what to do in a situation like that… I wonder if he was trying to get off the road to a grassy area.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Perhaps you cant read full paragraphs where I said at least 3 times that this is "the wrong time". Or maybe you didnt comprehend that I was inferring "time" to "death announcement". 

I would suggest trying to read better either way. 

It was the wrong time, and yet you brought it up for some reason in the same post. So yes, you deserve to get grief for being as deaf tone as Schefter.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Xenos said:

It was the wrong time, and yet you brought it up for some reason in the same post. So yes, you deserve to get grief for being as deaf tone as Schefter.

For condemning Schefters timing? Ok