Around the NFL - 2022 edition

Forge

Why do they never punish the players for this? They are also under contract…

Edit - I guess maybe Brady was ‘retired’ at the time, but my point stands that they should share some of the punishment.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Damn, so the Brady reports were true. We were really possibly about to see a Brady/Payton combo in Miami. Wow. 

Is it about the Brady stuff? I assumed it was about the asking Flores to lose games on purpose.

Either way, their penalty should include returning any first rounder they have in 2023 to their original team.

• Like 4

As much **** as I've given Jed York over the years, I'm glad he, Shanahan, and Lynch have built an operation that at the outset doesn't seem slimy or scummy with random BS that causes distractions. It's all about on-the-field. The W/L results have been a mixed bag, but there hasn't been an incident akin to the fallout of Cleveland or Miami. The moment Lynch and Shanahan were hired all of the "leaks" that used to plague the franchise ad-nauseum ceased, and really haven't been a problem since. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

As much **** as I've given Jed York over the years, I'm glad he, Shanahan, and Lynch have built an operation that at the outset doesn't seem slimy or scummy with random BS that causes distractions. It's all about on-the-field. The W/L results have been a mixed bag, but there hasn't been an incident akin to the fallout of Cleveland or Miami. The moment Lynch and Shanahan were hired all of the "leaks" that used to plague the franchise ad-nauseum ceased, and really haven't been a problem since. 

It feels like an organization of grown ups. Very refreshing

• Like 4

12 hours ago, GW21 said:

Why do they never punish the players for this? They are also under contract…

Edit - I guess maybe Brady was ‘retired’ at the time, but my point stands that they should share some of the punishment.

No, they were tampering with Brady back to 2019 when Brady was still in NE. 

Don yee was breaking the rules. He is also Garoppolos agent. I would love to know what he has been telling teams through "back channels" this off-season about Jimmy. 

I think agents need to get punished for this stuff too, depending on their involvement. I get that they have a job to do for their clients and I'm typically very pro players but there is a line that was crossed here by Don and he is going to get off scott free. 

I am still pissed off that Washington gave up what they did for Wentz rather than Garoppolo. I will always believe Jimmy and Don Sleez nuked that deal. So yeah, I'm pretty ticked about it and it's why I have no problem cutting Jimmy with the final cut downs.

People will spin it as not fair to the player, but when a guy is actively making it harder for you to trade him because he wants to get cut, he kinda has it coming. One of those, be careful what you wish for situations 

Edited by N4L
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, N4L said:

Don yee was breaking the rules. He is also Garoppolos agent. I would love to know what he has been telling teams through "back channels" this off-season about Jimmy. 

I think agents need to get punished for this stuff too, depending on their involvement. I get that they have a job to do for their clients and I'm typically very pro players but there is a line that was crossed here by Don and he is going to get off scott free. 

I am still pissed off that Washington gave up what they did for Wentz rather than Garoppolo. I will always believe Jimmy and Don Sleez nuked that deal. So yeah, I'm pretty ticked about it and it's why I have no problem cutting Jimmy with the final cut downs.

People will spin it as not fair to the player, but when a guy is actively making it harder for you to trade him because he wants to get cut, he kinda has it coming. One of those, be careful what you wish for situations 

Really? Teams are cut-throat to players when their value is trivial at a certain point, and don't always do right for the player's future elsewhere, but for the team's future. I have no qualms about any player looking out for themselves, and gaming the system as best they can. "It's a business" goes both ways. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, N4L said:

FWIW, there is regulations that govern NFLPA sanctioned agents... now, I'm not sure what that entails and I doubt it covers looking out for interests of clubs over players but there could be something. 

11 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Really? Teams are cut-throat to players when their value is trivial at a certain point, and don't always do right for the player's future elsewhere, but for the team's future. I have no qualms about any player looking out for themselves, and gaming the system as best they can. "It's a business" goes both ways. 

I am typically very pro-player. These guys are humans, and it is really unfortunate how the NFL and other sporting leagues in general use and abuse these guys. It is one reason I like how our team has operated for the most part, this is a very pro player organization relative to the rest of the league. 

With that being said, Jimmy's agent has been proven to operate outside of the rules of the league. I am simply saying that I believe this Brady to MIA incident to be indicative of how Jimmy's representatives have handled this whole ordeal this offseason. 

I am not going to feel bad for Garoppolo for how this offseason has gone because I believe he and his representatives share a portion of the blame for the fact he has not been traded. 

Kyle has said repeatedly that if Jimmy didnt have surgery, he would have been traded by now. That is just a part of the equation as I believe it's very likely there was more that has happened behind the scenes that we do not know about, given what we now know about Don Yee's communication with the Dolphins during the 2019 season.  

The sad part is that if Garoppolo had just accepted a trade to washington, he would be a QB1 making 25m this season. As it stands, he is going to get cut the week before week 1 and will be lucky to make 5 million. It is hard for me to feel bad about this whole thing when that was a choice that Jimmy made.

To be fair, we dont know that for certain and there are a lot of assumptions I am making here. Washington may not have wanted Garoppolo over Wentz. I can say for certain that Garoppolo's surgery was announced and then Wentz was traded to Washington a few hours later. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, N4L said:

To be fair, we dont know that for certain and there are a lot of assumptions I am making here. Washington may not have wanted Garoppolo over Wentz. I can say for certain that Garoppolo's surgery was announced and then Wentz was traded to Washington a few hours later. 

I think the biggest assumption you are making is that someone with a shoulder injury bad enough to get surgery on it was going to pass the standard physical requirements of a trade. And that the trade wouldn't have been nullified leaving us right where we are now. 

31 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

I think the biggest assumption you are making is that someone with a shoulder injury bad enough to get surgery on it was going to pass the standard physical requirements of a trade. And that the trade wouldn't have been nullified leaving us right where we are now. 

That and I believe John and Kyle have acknowledged that the surgery was needed. Though that could be trying to deflect.

37 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

Von Miller was traded last year with a bum ankle. He didn't play for a week or two after he was on the Rams. 

I think it can be done when all parties want it to be done. It doesn't appear washington would have wanted to trade for an injured QB though because there was talk that they wanted their new QB to be able to partake in the offseason program. So, the fact he was injured may have nuked that deal, rather than Jimmy himself. It's certainly a possibility. 

I guess my whole point is that I dont believe Jimmy and Don Yee were operating in good faith. This is how I have felt for a few months now, but the fact we now know that Don Yee has colored outside of the lines has made me more confident in that opinion (aka a moderately unverified extrapolation of incomplete data, lol)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, N4L said:

Von Miller was traded last year with a bum ankle. He didn't play for a week or two after he was on the Rams. 

I think it can be done when all parties want it to be done. It doesn't appear washington would have wanted to trade for an injured QB though because there was talk that they wanted their new QB to be able to partake in the offseason program. So, the fact he was injured may have nuked that deal, rather than Jimmy himself. It's certainly a possibility. 

I guess my whole point is that I dont believe Jimmy and Don Yee were operating in good faith. This is how I have felt for a few months now, but the fact we now know that Don Yee has colored outside of the lines has made me more confident in that opinion (aka a moderately unverified extrapolation of incomplete data, lol)

Sure it can be done if all parties want it to be done. The fact that he's still with us is pretty indicative that the other parties didn't want it to be done, though. So a shoulder bad enough to require surgery would result in a team voiding the trade at the physical stage. I know this, because if a team didn't care about the shoulder injury, Jimmy would already be with that team.

I won't speak for the agent, but I'm not sure what leverage Jimmy expected this to give him I guess is my point. If truly bad faith, everyone should have expected to end up where they are now. So if this was bad faith, who had what to gain? Everybody involved has pretty predictably lost so far.