Around the NFL - 2022 edition

Forge

8 hours ago, JIllg said:

I do think that it’s funny that the Shanahan offense proliferation happened at the same time that everyone wanted the next Josh Allen or Patty Mahomes or Lamar Jackson. And for good reason - those guys are awesome and can stretch defenses past their breaking points on their own. You can build whole offenses out of their abilities. But the point of these Shanahan offenses is to do more with less physically. They allow you to take guys that point and click (especially over the middle of the field) and make them super efficient. So there’s a bunch of teams now with Last Action Hero quarterbacks that don’t really do the point and click as well (including our own young quarterback) who really haven’t jived with the systems that they’ve ended up in. Now, some teams figured it out. The Bears finally understood that Justin Fields is more Lamar Jackson than Matt Ryan and restructured their offense around him. 

I also think that right as the desire for those big armed extra physically gifted guys got to their highest after those guys shredded existing schemes with off schedule plays and deep shots, defenses adjusted to clamp down super hard on downfield passing with all of the Fangio classics - Palms, quarters, cover 6. Even a lot of old school Tampa 2. You can still get a couple shots downfield, but it requires more patience than Mahomes shredding all of the Seattle cover three clones in 2018. And now all of these physically gifted deep ball guys are having to operate a lot like Jimmy G most of the time. The rookies and sophomores have had a miserable time of it. A lot like they did in the past when there was a lot of 2 high safety stuff in the NFL. Patience takes some time and experience. 

Well said...

31 minutes ago, adamq said:

Can't believe I'm saying it, but I kinda like Goff 

He's done a lot of good stuff this year.. some boneheadedness in there, for sure, but that's gonna just happen

He and Jimmy are basically the same dude. 

Jimmy is just better looking with superior fashion sense

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Giants upcoming schedule - Commanders, Eagles, Commanders, Vikings, Colts, Eagles

Currently 7-4, they could possibly get caught by the surging Commanders and miss the playoffs entirely

I honestly don't think there's much doubt they miss the playoffs. The injuries have sapped a lot of what talent they had

12 hours ago, Forge said:

I honestly don't think there's much doubt they miss the playoffs. The injuries have sapped a lot of what talent they had

9 wins probably gets you in the playoffs this year in the NFC so I wouldn't be too sure about that. The Eagles may not have anything to play for in week 18 and they can split with the Commanders and may be able to beat the Colts.

I think they still have a very good shot at making the playoffs.

Wish the Pats could have beaten the Vikings last night as that would have put us in decent position to get the #2 seed. The #2 seed as presently constructed has a better route to the NFCCG than the #1 seed does, believe it or not lol.

13 hours ago, Forge said:

53 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

9 wins probably gets you in the playoffs this year in the NFC so I wouldn't be too sure about that. The Eagles may not have anything to play for in week 18 and they can split with the Commanders and may be able to beat the Colts.

Wish the Pats could have beaten the Vikings last night as that would have put us in decent position to get the #2 seed. The #2 seed as presently constructed has a better route to the NFCCG than the #1 seed does, believe it or not lol.

I got Eagles, Vikings, 49ers, Bucs, Cowboys, Seahawks, Giants as my 7 seeds with Commanders/Falcons just missing

Seahawks at 10-7, beating the Raiders, Rams once, Panthers & 49ers (ugh)

Giants at 9-8, beating Commanders & Eagles once each

Commanders at 8-9, beating the Giants & Cowboys

Falcons at 8-9, beating the Commanders, Saints, Cardinals

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

RIght now, the 7th seed is sitting at 6-4 with seven games to go.  The NFC is better than people thought it was going to be going into the year. 

AFC 80-81

NFC 86-85

I think I mathed right, but the two conferences are pretty equal by most metrics.  The 7th cede in the AFC is also 6-4. 

Edited by Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I don't know that they win more than one game the rest of the year. A lot could depend on week 18 though. They may get backups