Around the NFL - 2022 edition

Forge

32 minutes ago, Forge said:

Looks like Tampa has Ryan Jensen back tonight

IF we play Tampa next week...They will have this time Jensen, Wirfs, Winfield, Vea and Edwards. Not even close to being the same game compared to the regular season meeting. Will be a DOG fight. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

IF we play Tampa next week...They will have this time Jensen, Wirfs, Winfield, Vea and Edwards. Not even close to being the same game compared to the regular season meeting. Will be a DOG fight. 

Yes but I'll take the Tampa over Dallas any day as both sides of the ball the Niners match up better against Tampa as opposed to the Cowboys. The only scenario I'd prefer the Cowboys is if the bad Dak shows up. 

Against Dallas the Niners offense will have trouble protecting Brock from the pass rush provided by Mica Parson, Dolance Grant & DeMarcus Larwerence. And defending the Cowboys will be way more difficult than defending the one dimensional Bucs pass only offense. The Cowboys are the team that cause Brock to finally play like a rookie and thus hoping for the Bucs badly since I don't fear them at all.

On 1/14/2023 at 8:22 PM, Forge said:

Not how Jax drew up their start. 

Chargers are this year's 49ers. The WC team that could win two playoff games. 

I could see the Giants upsetting the Eagles and doing this. But I also see them running out of steam in the NFCCG if they face us or the Bucs. 

I could see them beating the Cowboys though

Just gut feeling and the fact that they seem to have fully unleased Jones as a runner which will be difficult to defend

I actually wanted the Giants in a matchup...but they're well coached too and we suck defending mobile QB's. It would be a very tight matchup although I'd predict us to prevail

Edited by 49ersfan
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, 49erscap said:

Can't trade him pre June 1, they'd lose over $1M, which isn't much, but no way will the team waste cap room IMO.

Told myself I wouldnt engadge in these convos until the offseason, buuuut this has been my argument against trading Lance recently. Costs more to trade him than to keep him. I would need a top 10 pick to trade him (at least), and at that point you do have to pay for that player's contract as well. I would also like to take this opportunity to say how Lance not starting as a rookie led us to this point. We would have saved ~25m in cap space if we would have moved on from Jimmy that year (although to be fair, things would be different this year had we done that, and this year's iteration still has a fantastic shot to win the SB). 

I wonder how 2017 Jimmy vs every other version of Jimmy we saw has changed how this regime will operate with QBs. Because he was clearly never the same after that short run he had at the end of that season. Purdy wont need to be paid, so thats great, but there is still a chance Purdy comes down to earth next year and then where would that leave us? You just cant take that risk with this window imo. 

QB is just such an important position and Kyle has had a TON of injuries to his QBs, going back to his first days as a coordinator. I do not want to make us dependent on one guy's health. If we trade Lance, we need to bring in a legitimate vet to be backup QB, or draft one in a mid-round that can play right away. 

Lance is still 22 and unless Kyle is less confident in his abilities today than the day he drafted him, I see no real reason to trade him. Stay the course imo. 

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, N4L said:

Told myself I wouldnt engadge in these convos until the offseason, buuuut this has been my argument against trading Lance recently. Costs more to trade him than to keep him. I would need a top 10 pick to trade him (at least), and at that point you do have to pay for that player's contract as well. I would also like to take this opportunity to say how Lance not starting as a rookie led us to this point. We would have saved ~25m in cap space if we would have moved on from Jimmy that year (although to be fair, things would be different this year had we done that, and this year's iteration still has a fantastic shot to win the SB). 

I wonder how 2017 Jimmy vs every other version of Jimmy we saw has changed how this regime will operate with QBs. Because he was clearly never the same after that short run he had at the end of that season. Purdy wont need to be paid, so thats great, but there is still a chance Purdy comes down to earth next year and then where would that leave us? You just cant take that risk with this window imo. 

QB is just such an important position and Kyle has had a TON of injuries to his QBs, going back to his first days as a coordinator. I do not want to make us dependent on one guy's health. If we trade Lance, we need to bring in a legitimate vet to be backup QB, or draft one in a mid-round that can play right away. 

Lance is still 22 and unless Kyle is less confident in his abilities today than the day he drafted him, I see no real reason to trade him. Stay the course imo. 

It really won't matter because nobody is going to offer what it takes to get him even if we're okay with moving him. We can talk about it, but at this point to teams looking at him, Lance is an injury prone bust who lost his job to a 7th round rookie,  so he has a trade value driven entirely by draft pedigree and scouting. 

On 1/15/2023 at 1:46 PM, straighthate said:

McDaniel, how in God’s name do you not have a play ready for 4th and inches 

He did not realize it was not first down. He called a play for first down, then realized it was 4th down. Tried to swap personnel and ran out of time. 

That was some inexperience on his part, but let's not gloss over the fact they almost beat the bills on the road with a 7th string QB. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yeah, I am officially rooting for Dallas tonight. Vita vea would give us some major problems. 

The thing about the Tampa offense that doesn't work well for them against us is that they can't run and nearly everything is underneath. So long as you don't have a coverage break down, the defense gets to play downhill, which really plays to the niners strengths 

24 minutes ago, Forge said:

Definitely looks like Dallas. Back breaking interception by Brady. 

Dallas offense shredding this defense

I have a bad feeling 3 of 4 home teams advance next weekend with the exception of the Niners losing to the Cowboys. This is the defense that can end the Purdy magic and I think if the Niners want to move on they'll need a defensive performance like the 2nd half against Seattle to win.

15 minutes ago, NFL Network said:

I have a bad feeling 3 of 4 home teams advance next weekend with the exception of the Niners losing to the Cowboys. This is the defense that can end the Purdy magic and I think if the Niners want to move on they'll need a defensive performance like the 2nd half against Seattle to win.

It's definitely the toughest matchup out of the three we could have had. The only team we played as good / better than them was the chiefs and that didn't go well. 

But I think we match up well against them. It's just much more of a toss up

• Like 1