Round 2 Pick 34; Christian Watson, WR, NDSU

Packerraymond

Catching up.

When I heard of the pick, I thought we gave up too much.

Then I saw who we picked and instantly loved it.

Because we gave up so much, we must have had him rated much higher than Pickens or Pierce or anyone else.

And I dig it.  We targetted a guy and went out and got him.  

This draft gets a whole lot easier once you draft that first WR.  And it did.

Now, the only question is this.  Will he be more like Calvin Johnson or Stephen Hill?  It is now on our coaches to get it done.  The athlete is there.  The worker is there.  

Remember those little stand up passes to Jordy?  Catch it, get 2 yards, then stiff arm for another 8-10 yards?  Imagine that but with someone who will run through that tackle attempt.  Jet sweep stuff.  Deep play action.  These are things that a young kid can come in and do right away.  Now, unlike MVS and his career in GB, I hope we teach this kid how to run an 8 yard stop.

Super excited over this.

• Like 1

Here's what I'm pretty sure about regarding Watson:

*He is much more than a HWS guy. He is intelligent and motivated which also amplifies the HWS significantly.

*Rodgers and our staff are going to do everything they can to get him looks. This team is invested in his success.

*Watson can contribute immediately in more than vertical routes. He's a skilled special teams player and has shown great field reading/manipulation. He's a prime candidate for bubble screens and is going to get his share of them. He's also a willing blocker. I believe his intelligence is going to allow him to use that to his advantage by lulling defenders. He only needs a tiny bit of hesitation or misstep and he's behind the defense.

*He is not like any other recent WR we've had. He will be utilized differently. Anyone trying to pigeonhole him into past WR roles either with MLF or Rodgers are seemingly ignoring that these are intelligent people who are going to design things much differently for a guy like Watson.

*There will be a learning curve. In the meantime, he will contribute in the areas he can immediately. Which are not insignificant.

Edited by incognito_man
  • Like 6

6 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Here's what I'm pretty sure about regarding Watson:  Ditto.

*He is much more than a HWS guy. He is intelligent and motivated which amlifies the HWS significantly.  I don't know if he is intelligent, or even football smart.  But, I heard a story about his college coach.  Said it started raining at practice, everyone else went inside.  Watson stayed on the field and worked with coaches on WR drills in the rain.  It was his idea.  So I'm unsure about overall intelligence, but I am very sure on attitude and coachability.

*Rodgers and our staff are going to do everything they can to get him looks. This team is invested in his success.  No doubt.  We will scheme him open and he will get those bubble touches.  Also...we how we try to mirror run and pass, he's a big dude that will sell that nicely.  I see a lot of stuff coming off of plays that look like runs and not just go routes like MVS ran.

*Watson can contribute immediately in more than vertical routes. He's a skilled special teams player and has shown great field reading/manipulation. He's a prime candidate for bubble screens and is going to get his share of them. He's also a willing blocker. I believe his intelligence is going to allow him to use that to his advantage by lulling defenders. He only needs a tiny bit of hesitation or misstep and he's behind the defense.  Swiss army knife.  We will scheme him open, but he's gonna win on this own, too.  To be fair, I'm keeping him off of specials.  Too valuable.

*He is not like any other recent WR we've had. He will be utilized differently. Anyone trying to pigeonhole him into past WR roles either with MLF or Rodgers are seemingly ignoring that these are intelligent people who are going to design things much differently for a guy like Watson.  We haven't had a guy like him with MLF.  This is Lazard with more athletic ability.  It is the next evolution to the offense.

*There will be a learning curve. In the meantime, he will contribute in the areas he can immediately. Which are not insignificant.  Stand up passes.  Bubble screens.  Obviously some deep play action stuff.  I hope we see him in the jet role a little bit.  I hope we move him around the formation, isolate him and work to his strengths.  Also.... I fear giving him too much too early.  And for the love of God, I hope we teach him how to run the 8 yard stop or comeback.  He should catch one of those a game easily.  

I’m not sure about football intelligence, but he did score 38 on the wunderlic. Every report says he’s a hard worker and a good kid. He just got engaged too, so hopefully there won’t be any off the field distractions.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Catching up.

When I heard of the pick, I thought we gave up too much.

Then I saw who we picked and instantly loved it.

Because we gave up so much, we must have had him rated much higher than Pickens or Pierce or anyone else.

And I dig it.  We targetted a guy and went out and got him.  

This draft gets a whole lot easier once you draft that first WR.  And it did.

Now, the only question is this.  Will he be more like Calvin Johnson or Stephen Hill?  It is now on our coaches to get it done.  The athlete is there.  The worker is there.  

Remember those little stand up passes to Jordy?  Catch it, get 2 yards, then stiff arm for another 8-10 yards?  Imagine that but with someone who will run through that tackle attempt.  Jet sweep stuff.  Deep play action.  These are things that a young kid can come in and do right away.  Now, unlike MVS and his career in GB, I hope we teach this kid how to run an 8 yard stop.

Super excited over this.

I see Javon Walker as his comp which is not bad at all.  Smooth accelerator. Great on deep balls.  If we can get him to perform like Walker I will be very happy.

Watson's father also played in the NFL, something that is always a good thing. Also worked as a motivational speaker, lifestyle coach, and in finance.  All things that add up to ensure Christian is very unlikely to pull a Pickens, or a Ruggs. Pretty safe to say he has his head on straight and has the rock solid foundation needed for the challenges ahead

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheEagle said:

I’m not sure about football intelligence, but he did score 38 on the wunderlic. Every report says he’s a hard worker and a good kid. He just got engaged too, so hopefully there won’t be any off the field distractions.

Those are all huge positives.  No wonder the Packers were so high on him.  Intelligence and dedication.  Guess this had a lot to do with why they took him over Pickens.  Think Rodgers is really going to take a shine to this kid. 

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Good breakdown on Watson.

Really highlights the suddeness of the player and outlines his perceived flaws.

I like the whole segment of  "Can't do this" vs "Didn't do this" really encapsulates the whole conversation around him here, just because he wasn't asked to do something in college doesn't mean he is incapable of doing it.

• Like 1