Grade the Packers Draft

Old Guy

Grade the Packers draft  

109 members have voted

1. 1. OK the pickin' is done! How'd we do in your opinion?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

2 hours ago, ChaRisMa said:

I thought everyone wanted either a WR1 or someone who would develop into one. Was that only me?

No. I had the same thoughts - but - had no desire or thought GB could trade up to snag one of the reputed "top guys" - So, banking on depth of the class....I'd "compromised" and targeted the WR position at the 28.

In comparison to some others coming out - Watson is raw - but he's a talented dude.

I'm kinda excited to see how we can change the offense a bit to get him the ball - outside the methods used for MVS.
Watson's the first guy we've had in some time that could actually take a bubble screen (or end around) to the house - and completing bubble screens is easy as pie.

I honestly cant speak to what contributions Doubs / Toure will provide - I've got to see them first - but Watkins and Watson on the field together pose some interesting challenges as well as offensive scheme opportunities. (If Watkins still has wheels that is......).

25 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

Problem is he hasn’t shown a desire to use his size and frame in contested catches. So it’s another trait he’s capable of but isn’t developed. Why I liked Pickens over him. Can it be taught? Yeah. Before Rodgers is gone? On the staff now.

I don't know.  I saw a couple contested catches on his film.  It isn't like he can't do it.

The issue is that  he was flat out running by corners and safeties and didn't have to make contested catches.  It is like knocking him for something he didn't have to do much of.

The more I watch of him, the more impressed I am.

Dude is quick.  Lightning fast start and stops.  I've seen him backshoulder throws at the Senior Bowl.

I don't really care about Rodgers and how long he will be here.  A guy like Watson is why old Qb's like Rodgers play for an extra 2 or 3 years.  The dude is simply special.

I know it was a level down in competition.  But....I see guys with angles on him in his videos, and he flat out leaves them in the dust.  Double covered?  No issue running sudden double moves and splitting the corner/safety double coverage.

He's like a quicker and better running version of Javon Walker.  

16 minutes ago, R T said:

I doubt that the Packers had much interest in Olave at all,

The Packers scouting can be considered continuous from the people who ran the 2005 draft.  I doubt the people who were in the room when they drafted Cobb (5102, 191), Jennings (5111, 197), Jones (6002, 207), Adams (6007, 212), and Rodgers (5094, 212) were just completely out on 6004, 185 Chris Olave.

The whole thing about "the Packers only draft very large guys to play WR" is basically based on "Jordy was bigger, and really good" and "they wanted people to block for all the smoke screens they ran to Adams."

After looking at some more of his stuff, they didn't scheme him open either.  He was lined up outside.  Rarely in the slot with manufactured touches.  They ran the ball so much that there was little need to run 5 yard curls or stuff like that.  They used him to take shots.  

But there is a lot of evidence that he is capable of it.  He has amazing body control.  Unreal acceleration and balance.

I had forgotten that he played with Lance.  Boy, when he had a QB, he was something else.  Thankfully we have said QB and may even have another one waiting in the wings.

I have much love for Pickens, but this is flat out a better athlete and that's saying something.  

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

No. I had the same thoughts - but - had no desire or thought GB could trade up to snag one of the reputed "top guys" - So, banking on depth of the class....I'd "compromised" and targeted the WR position at the 28.

In comparison to some others coming out - Watson is raw - but he's a talented dude.

I'm kinda excited to see how we can change the offense a bit to get him the ball - outside the methods used for MVS.
Watson's the first guy we've had in some time that could actually take a bubble screen (or end around) to the house - and completing bubble screens is easy as pie.

I honestly cant speak to what contributions Doubs / Toure will provide - I've got to see them first - but Watkins and Watson on the field together pose some interesting challenges as well as offensive scheme opportunities. (If Watkins still has wheels that is......).

We'll see if Watkins makes it out of TC.  Yah felt the same way.  Wasn't too enamored with the top WR anyway.  Really curious to follow London's career as he would have been one guy that fit.  Will he even be able to separate in the NFL?  Big question I have with him.  

Was with you figured we would have no shot at any of those guys.  Think they opted for Watson as he was a cleaner prospect.  Intelligence and character.  No injury concerns either.  So I get it. 

Doubs who knows watched some film on the guy and he's pretty damn quick.  Got some shiftiness too.  Really hard to predict these guys.  Man I loved Moore too thought he looked a lot like Adams.  Bust.  Shocked me really. 

You just never know which guys are going to hit.  Want to see if Doubs can win the PR job initially.  Good start then work him in gradually.  Gotta get the guy up to speed before Watkins gets hurt.  Toure is a lotto.  Watch him become a preseason darling. 

4 minutes ago, Leader said:

Easy now with the dissing of Pickens. I'm still in "Draft Crush" withdrawal  :)

Nah man that went out the window once he was drafted by Pitt.  Now he's an injury riddled headcase.  Had he been drafted by the Packers we'd be putting him in the HOF.  That's how it works Leader...

8 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

The Packers scouting can be considered continuous from the people who ran the 2005 draft.  I doubt the people who were in the room when they drafted Cobb (5102, 191), Jennings (5111, 197), Jones (6002, 207), Adams (6007, 212), and Rodgers (5094, 212) were just completely out on 6004, 185 Chris Olave.

The whole thing about "the Packers only draft very large guys to play WR" is basically based on "Jordy was bigger, and really good" and "they wanted people to block for all the smoke screens they ran to Adams."

That's not true at all. We switched to larger WR because of Gute's preference for them. He may have come from the Wolf/TT tree but he is allowed to have a different opinion. Not because "Jordy was bigger and really good".

Why Gute's prefers them? I don't know but he switched from 5'10" to 6'0" WRs to 6'1" and above.

He brought in MVS, EQ and Lazard in his very first draft when McCarthy was here and they were all over 6'4". He then hired LaFleur who's offensive philosophies dovetailed with his and so he continued to bring in bigger WRs such as Funchess, Winfree, Taylor, Blair and a whole host of undrafted tall WRs that came and went such as Fulgham. Yes he did continue to bring in the odd TT type WR such as Rodgers but it was the exception rather than the norm. This year's draft was going to be the first real confirmation of what type WR he would be targeting. Not surprisingly as most of us predicted, 6'4" Watson, 6'2" Doubs and 6'1" Toure.

So yeah,  Gute likes his tall WRs. I'm sure he liked Chris Olave but I bet he liked Jameson Williams more.

30 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I don't know.  I saw a couple contested catches on his film.  It isn't like he can't do it.

Yeah plenty of times I saw him making catches in traffic and contested. He skied over corners many times to make the catch. A bunch of them were also working the sidelines as well where Rodgers likes to throw to.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2022 at 8:06 PM, R T said:

If Watson has 35-40 catches and 600 yards, it will be a very successful season for him. Thinking more than that probably isn't very realistic.  

This is a good reality check. Between him, Doubs and Toure (if he even gets on the 53) we should probably be looking for 60-70 catches and around 1,000 yards from them. This number would include any other fringe UDFA/PS guys who might impress. 

Another 100-120 catches and 1,200-1,500 yards from Lazard/Watkins/Cobb.

Another 60-80 for 700-1,000 from the TEs. And another 60-80 and maybe 800-900 yards from the RBs. 

If Amari Rodgers can improve, its hard to tell if he'd be taking catches off the rookies or Cobb/Watkins. 

One might blow up and you can never tell with thsi stuff, but that's my guesstimate. Comes in at 3,600-4,300 yards for Rodgers as I think we'll be running it more this year, perhaps early on in particular with all the young linemen and pass catchers. Not really a cause for complaint when you've got one of the very, very best RB duos in the league (and I liked what I saw from Taylor last year for the occasional late carry). 

Edited by Billy86
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

The issue is that  he was flat out running by corners and safeties and didn't have to make contested catches.  It is like knocking him for something he didn't have to do much of.

The more I watch of him, the more impressed I am.

Dude is quick.  Lightning fast start and stops.  I've seen him backshoulder throws at the Senior Bowl.

I don't really care about Rodgers and how long he will be here.  A guy like Watson is why old Qb's like Rodgers play for an extra 2 or 3 years.  The dude is simply special.

I know it was a level down in competition.  But....I see guys with angles on him in his videos, and he flat out leaves them in the dust.  Double covered?  No issue running sudden double moves and splitting the corner/safety double coverage.

He's like a quicker and better running version of Javon Walker.  

I haven't watched a ton of film on the guy but trust your analysis. If he's what you say, he's going to be fun to watch. If he tears it up as a rookie, we are Super Bowl favorites. 

2 hours ago, Leader said:

I've always appreciated your insights.....thinking outside life prevented you from providing more. If not...dont be dissuaded from posting more often.

Indeed. Been a single father of 3 for the last 7 months while my wife’s been in Massachusetts receiving medical treatment. Flew out on draft day to drive her back to Wisconsin. Watched round 1 with the M*******s. It was SO sweet to see the Pats reach to Chattanooga with their first round pick. Pats fans were crushed. Some guy called for BB to get demoted.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

Indeed. Been a single father of 3 for the last 7 months while my wife’s been in Massachusetts receiving medical treatment. Flew out on draft day to drive her back to Wisconsin. Watched round 1 with the M*******s. It was SO sweet to see the Pats reach to Chattanooga with their first round pick. Pats fans were crushed. Some guy called for BB to get demoted.

They've kind of always hated his drafting and honestly they kind of have a point

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

I thought Lazard came off somebody's practice squad.....JAX?

Holy crap I would have bet my house we signed him as a UDFA right after the draft.

I swear I remember talking him up when we got him after the draft. Crazy. 

But yes JAX PS then us.