Grade the Packers Draft

Old Guy

Grade the Packers draft  

109 members have voted

1. 1. OK the pickin' is done! How'd we do in your opinion?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

In 5 years, it wouldn't shock me one bit if Watson is the #1 WR from this class. Watching him, someone explain to me why Drake London is a top 8 pick but trading up two seconds is too much for Watson? What does London do better?

• Like 1

My snap grades:

Walker: C+

I don't think of it as a premium position and felt the depth in the mid rounds would have been outstanding. Would have preferred Karlaftis or Hill. But if they have a plan for the type of player Walker is to be an impact player in their defense then I give the benefit of the doubt. Average selection.

Wyatt: A

Admittedly I wrote him off and didn't look his way for one second after hearing his age.  Now that he's been drafted I've actually taken a look and yes, he's the best d-lineman in the draft day 1, perfect for our win-now mentality.

Watson: D

Giving up two late second rounders in this draft for someone who was personally my 5th ranked WR on the board at the time (after Pickens, Pierce, Moore And Metchie).  The price was too steep. Really hope he proves me wrong, he certainly has the potential to do so, but I like more immediate soft skills at the position instead of a project.

Ryan: A-

Love the pick. Competes to start day one at LG. I liked some of the DBs on the board and felt confident I could get multiple o-linemen I liked later (and was proven right) but I have no doubt he'll quickly become one of my favorite Packers and a stud at LG. For the record, I think it will be LG and not RT because we don't want him changing positions mid-rookie year if he's starting. Jenkins returning closes the door on RT.

Doubs: A-

Big believer in Doubs. Again, liked some DBs on the board. Was also around the time that the last few decent EDGE dried up. But I am really excited to see him play this year.

Tom: A+

Probably not given huge opportunity to earn a starting job right away, but is immediately our C2 and will take over somewhere by next season. Super athletic. Frame has plenty of space to add bulk without compromising movement. I think he can be a long-term LT prospect.

Enagbare: B+

Initially was disappointed since I ruled him out for RAS early in the draft process...but looking at his numbers, this may be one of the areas where RAS doesn't fully line up with the actual skills Gute looks at for each position. Explosion score was huge, he plays a bit bigger than he measured at the combine, has 35 inch arms based on a source I read, study special teams skills as a true freshman...I like him to compete with Garvin for significant snaps. Terrible against the run though.

Carpenter: B

Finally a DB. More of a hybrid, wonder if he might get dime snaps but probably not. Remains to be seen how he fits fully in the defense but he's a prospect I had my eye on predraft.

Ford: B

Camp body that they want to make sure comes to their roster. Might not ever make the team, but he's a true nose tackle that should latch onto the PS as an emergency plan if Clark or Slayton get hurt.

Walker: A+

We lost 3 prominent olinemen from last season, and filled those roster spots nicely. I actually had a higher grade on him than Tom, thinking he'd be an option for us as early as the third. I think he absolutely makes the roster as one of our 9 olinemen on the 53. Probably starts as a reserve swing tackle. With the return of Bakh and the eventual return of Jenkins this unit is poised to be better than last year, even with the loss of one of my favorites in Turner.

Toure: A

Great fit. A lot more than just a camp body. I'm calling him to make the 53. Might make some noise late in the season. I did like a couple other WRs still available (Kevin Austin anyone?), and yes some DBs with special team skills were still there, but this is exactly the kind of player I had in mind around this area.

Overall: B

The draft from round 3 onwards was one of the best I've ever seen in my life. The trade down to pick up an extra 7th was excellent. I could see several players being starters within the next couple seasons. Some of the selections will make this the best Packers defense in at least a decade, and the best o-line since the Favre days (Clifton, Tauch, Wahle, Rivera, was the center Flannigan? Long time ago). I feel confident in the overall depth of the WR room.

Score gets dinged from an A for a few reasons.

I can deal with taking a player in a non-premium position early, but not when that position is riddled with depth. We could have gotten a LB later.

The trade up was excessive to me. Especially in a draft like this. To a division rival no less. This decision, for better or for worse, will be scrutinized heavily over the next few seasons. I understand that Watson was the top guy on Gute's board and he felt a need to move up. I get it. But I disagree with the player rankings and the value given to get him.

I would have liked to see us nab a TE, but they slipped away quicker than I thought. Same at RB, although I liked a few that ended up going undrafted (one we reportedly signed as a UDFA). I think the biggest failure was adding depth to DB, esp S.  

So yeah...the good vastly outweighs the bad. Even the parts I didn't like were at least high-potential players. And I think the last few rounds were masterful.

Just now, Sandy said:

My snap grades:

Walker: C+

I don't think of it as a premium position and felt the depth in the mid rounds would have been outstanding. Would have preferred Karlaftis or Hill. But if they have a plan for the type of player Walker is to be an impact player in their defense then I give the benefit of the doubt. Average selection.

Wyatt: A

Admittedly I wrote him off and didn't look his way for one second after hearing his age.  Now that he's been drafted I've actually taken a look and yes, he's the best d-lineman in the draft day 1, perfect for our win-now mentality.

Watson: D

Giving up two late second rounders in this draft for someone who was personally my 5th ranked WR on the board at the time (after Pickens, Pierce, Moore And Metchie).  The price was too steep. Really hope he proves me wrong, he certainly has the potential to do so, but I like more immediate soft skills at the position instead of a project.

Ryan: A-

Love the pick. Competes to start day one at LG. I liked some of the DBs on the board and felt confident I could get multiple o-linemen I liked later (and was proven right) but I have no doubt he'll quickly become one of my favorite Packers and a stud at LG. For the record, I think it will be LG and not RT because we don't want him changing positions mid-rookie year if he's starting. Jenkins returning closes the door on RT.

Doubs: A-

Big believer in Doubs. Again, liked some DBs on the board. Was also around the time that the last few decent EDGE dried up. But I am really excited to see him play this year.

Tom: A+

Probably not given huge opportunity to earn a starting job right away, but is immediately our C2 and will take over somewhere by next season. Super athletic. Frame has plenty of space to add bulk without compromising movement. I think he can be a long-term LT prospect.

Enagbare: B+

Initially was disappointed since I ruled him out for RAS early in the draft process...but looking at his numbers, this may be one of the areas where RAS doesn't fully line up with the actual skills Gute looks at for each position. Explosion score was huge, he plays a bit bigger than he measured at the combine, has 35 inch arms based on a source I read, study special teams skills as a true freshman...I like him to compete with Garvin for significant snaps. Terrible against the run though.

Carpenter: B

Finally a DB. More of a hybrid, wonder if he might get dime snaps but probably not. Remains to be seen how he fits fully in the defense but he's a prospect I had my eye on predraft.

Ford: B

Camp body that they want to make sure comes to their roster. Might not ever make the team, but he's a true nose tackle that should latch onto the PS as an emergency plan if Clark or Slayton get hurt.

Walker: A+

We lost 3 prominent olinemen from last season, and filled those roster spots nicely. I actually had a higher grade on him than Tom, thinking he'd be an option for us as early as the third. I think he absolutely makes the roster as one of our 9 olinemen on the 53. Probably starts as a reserve swing tackle. With the return of Bakh and the eventual return of Jenkins this unit is poised to be better than last year, even with the loss of one of my favorites in Turner.

Toure: A

Great fit. A lot more than just a camp body. I'm calling him to make the 53. Might make some noise late in the season. I did like a couple other WRs still available (Kevin Austin anyone?), and yes some DBs with special team skills were still there, but this is exactly the kind of player I had in mind around this area.

Overall: B

The draft from round 3 onwards was one of the best I've ever seen in my life. The trade down to pick up an extra 7th was excellent. I could see several players being starters within the next couple seasons. Some of the selections will make this the best Packers defense in at least a decade, and the best o-line since the Favre days (Clifton, Tauch, Wahle, Rivera, was the center Flannigan? Long time ago). I feel confident in the overall depth of the WR room.

Score gets dinged from an A for a few reasons.

I can deal with taking a player in a non-premium position early, but not when that position is riddled with depth. We could have gotten a LB later.

The trade up was excessive to me. Especially in a draft like this. To a division rival no less. This decision, for better or for worse, will be scrutinized heavily over the next few seasons. I understand that Watson was the top guy on Gute's board and he felt a need to move up. I get it. But I disagree with the player rankings and the value given to get him.

I would have liked to see us nab a TE, but they slipped away quicker than I thought. Same at RB, although I liked a few that ended up going undrafted (one we reportedly signed as a UDFA). I think the biggest failure was adding depth to DB, esp S.  

So yeah...the good vastly outweighs the bad. Even the parts I didn't like were at least high-potential players. And I think the last few rounds were masterful.

If we stayed at 53 to get Pierce, who was available at 59 or later that would have made an immediate contribution to the team? I think that Watson will be more valuable at 34 than Pierce and anyone else we may have taken at 59. Time will tell though.

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

In 5 years, it wouldn't shock me one bit if Watson is the #1 WR from this class. Watching him, someone explain to me why Drake London is a top 8 pick but trading up two seconds is too much for Watson? What does London do better?

USC vs NDSU

Had him at 28 in this mock mid march

Just now, beekay414 said:

I don't fight your opinion's. It's others that are caught up on the price to move up. They'll forget that relatively quickly.

It's all good.  I'm with you that Watson has the tools.  Has to put it together.

Just now, squire12 said:

It's all good.  I'm with you that Watson has the tools.  Has to put it together.

I agree somewhat. I think the system he comes from hindered him more than helped him. I think he'll be a quick learn and MLF will be eager to get him the ball. Would not shock me one bit if he's an immediate impact. I think the curve that he needs to hit isn't as big as others seem to think. 

4 minutes ago, Tperk said:

If we stayed at 53 to get Pierce, who was available at 59 or later that would have made an immediate contribution to the team? I think that Watson will be more valuable at 34 than Pierce and anyone else we may have taken at 59. Time will tell though.

100% Drake Jackson. I thought he was the guy we traded up to 34 for.

So, for me shadow drafting with a snap judgement the day after the selections, Pierce/Jackson is way better than Watson, since I had higher grades on both of them than Watson. I'll root for Watson of course, but I can help feeling Gute had a bag over his head on this one.

Really made up for it with every pick after though.

34 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I don't think there's bust potential with Watson. He has the physical tools to where if you scheme him right, he's impactful. Everything I've seen says he's highly intelligent and is a plus player. He's going to be ridiculously good. He's arguably the most physically gifted WR we've had since Sharpe.

"bust" for him is like MVS level, where he doesn't develop into much more than a speed threat.  This kid is going to be good!

Most physically gifted since Javon Walker.

1 minute ago, ThatJerkDave said:

"bust" for him is like MVS level, where he doesn't develop into much more than a speed threat.  This kid is going to be good!

Most physically gifted since Javon Walker.

He's more gifted than Walker, my son.

Just now, ThatJerkDave said:

Go to USC.  That is literally it.  And I still stand by that he is only better than Lazard because he went to USC also.  

Leave it to Booger McFarland to nail a prospect. The kid couldn't get open in college but he's supposedly going to do so against even better corners? Yeah, okay. The only WR in this draft that can compete with Watson IRT tools is Jameson Williams. 

Mark my words, Christian Watson is going to be better than everyone drafted before him.

• Like 3

Just now, beekay414 said:

He's more gifted than Walker, my son.

All I know is that when I saw that a few scouts said something along the lines of "this kid in on par with what I seen with Randy Moss", I was alright with the trade up. I'm all in on Watson. 

Just now, Tperk said:

All I know is that when I saw that a few scouts said something along the lines of "this kid in on par with what I seen with Randy Moss", I was alright with the trade up. I'm all in on Watson. 

The physical profile is special. People are equating his lack of numbers as lack of impact but he was the NDSU passing attack. There's nothing on the football field that this kid can't do. Aaron's going to love this kid.