Grade the Packers Draft

Old Guy

Grade the Packers draft  

109 members have voted

1. 1. OK the pickin' is done! How'd we do in your opinion?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

12 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Leave it to Booger McFarland to nail a prospect. The kid couldn't get open in college but he's supposedly going to do so against even better corners? Yeah, okay. The only WR in this draft that can compete with Watson IRT tools is Jameson Williams. 

Mark my words, Christian Watson is going to be better than everyone drafted before him.

My top 2 WR’s are Jameson Williams followed by Christian Watson.

Glad we got Watson.

At the end Christian Watson might look better because of the guy throwing to him, but Jameson Williams has the smoothness to his route commute that no other WR possess in this draft. 

Edited by Jaire_Island
  • Like 1

Picks I loved: I had Wyatt at 22 for us. I had Enagbare at 59. I had Tom at 132. Rasheed Walker at 249 was awesome value.

Pick I hated: Christian Watson at 34 made me turn the draft off. I know you all have the green and gold blinders on. But prepare for disappointment. Watson is good for routes 5-7 like MVS and not much else. Anytime he has to cut a 90, quality DBs will immediately be on his hip. He doesn’t use his size. Still apparently hasn’t been taught to stop for the curl route. Wastes too many steps. He’s way more raw that people realize. Gigantic doubts for me whether he can play in the NFL. There were 4-5 guys with the same ability to be tall and fast available. Horrible trade and selection. Not a future WR1. A long term WR3 in MLF’s scheme.

• Like 1

Just looking over the division rivals, without looking at their fan's opinions, and with the caveat that I don't know their roster as well as they do:

Bears:  I like what they did.  They added three defensive backs to their secondary, three swings to improve their OL, and Velus Jones is a speedster for offense and their seemingly always amazing return game.  Their OL has been a problem for years, and they are at least working on it.  Aside from Eddie Jackson, I don't really like their secondary, and they added two second round picks to the group.  I think this is a good step in the right direction, on their part.

Lions:  I also like what they did. Adding two pass rushers to a group that should already get after the QB is great.  They should be able to platoon these guys.  They also added Jameson Williams to the WR room that should also be pretty good.  I think they should have taken a couple more swings at a defensive back.

Vikings:  I ALSO like what they did. Their secondary was not good, and they spent a 1, 2, and early 4 to try to fix that.  They helped their offensive line, which also has been a problem for a while.  They also add an inside backer to pair with Kendricks.  I think I would have wanted more pass rushers if I were them.

All teams in the division have players from this class they can get excited about, IMO.  

I'm terrible at grading things but I did like this draft. After the first four licks they could have taken punters the rest of the way and I would still have been happy. Wyatt and Watson were two of my favorites coming in. Quay was out of left field and I didn't know much about him since I assumed ILB wasn't an option for that spot. But I like what I see. Getting Doubs, Tom, Kingsley, and Rasheed late was a nice icing to the cake. They should provide good depth. As I have stated I'm a fan of loading up on Oline in the mid rounds. 

10 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

Picks I loved: I had Wyatt at 22 for us. I had Enagbare at 59. I had Tom at 132. Rasheed Walker at 249 was awesome value.

Pick I hated: Christian Watson at 34 made me turn the draft off. I know you all have the green and gold blinders on. But prepare for disappointment. Watson is good for routes 5-7 like MVS and not much else. Anytime he has to cut a 90, quality DBs will immediately be on his hip. He doesn’t use his size. Still apparently hasn’t been taught to stop for the curl route. Wastes too many steps. He’s way more raw that people realize. Gigantic doubts for me whether he can play in the NFL. There were 4-5 guys with the same ability to be tall and fast available. Horrible trade and selection. Not a future WR1. A long term WR3 in MLF’s scheme.

This is not at all what he showed during Senior Bowl week. I get people questioning him due to competition level and due to the fact that NDSU doesn't run a very pass friendly offense. I guess I will have to disagree on most of your assessment. He isn't polished but not as raw as you are implying. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, CrazyJoeDavola said:

This is not at all what he showed during Senior Bowl week. I get people questioning him due to competition level and due to the fact that NDSU doesn't run a very pass friendly offense. I guess I will have to disagree on most of your assessment. He isn't polished but not as raw as you are implying. 

Don't expect miracles from this kid.  He's got a lot of ability and a long way to go.  I like that he's hungry, and believe he'll do good things for the Packers.  It's going to take time for him to learn the NFL and work on his craft.  I have full confidence that MLF and Rodgers will develop him the right way. Baby steps and patience.

Edited by NFLGURU

5 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Don't expect miracles from this kid.  He's got a lot of ability and a long way to go.  I like that he's hungry, and believe he'll do good things for the Packers.  It's going to take time for him to learn the NFL and work on his craft.  I have full confidence thatpatience. Rodgers will develop him the right way. Baby steps and patience.

I agree he has room to grow. But I don't think he is starting at bottom of the barrel as the previous poster had implied. I don't expect miracles but I expect an MVS type role in year one. 

52 minutes ago, gopackgo972 said:

So far 2 F grades. So there’s at least 2 Bears/Lions or Viking fans lurking. Most likely Viking fans. 

In all fairness if someone posted a mock 3 months ago that went exactly like the draft did there is absolutely ZERO chance it would have been well received and you can't convince me otherwise.

Arguably the best WR in the league and a second for an ILB and an FCS wide receiver is a trade 99% of this board would crap all over if it was any other team.

I gave it the C. I hate it other than the OL picks.

2 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

Idk how someone can watch Jameson and Watson play and think he easily has the highest upside of any WR. Watson will clearly get the advantage of playing with Rodgers but there were some really talented WRs that went ahead of him for a reason too. 

Perhaps the thinking is you can't make the club from the tub. Jameson is a relatively skinny guy (6'2" and a biscuit toss under 190lb). He's re-habbing an ACL too.
Watson is 6'4", 208, a hair faster and a significantly more solid build. Most people think Jameson is the more skilled right now, while Watson has the higher upside potential.

The Lions took Williams at 12, Packers took Watson at 34 - the price paid is a part of my evaluation too - the higher the pick, the greater the expectation. If you like, you can look at the comparison between the two as a pure head-to-head competition, irrespective of where they were taken, but I tend to factor it in.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

5 minutes ago, CrazyJoeDavola said:

I agree he has room to grow. But I don't think he is starting at bottom of the barrel as the previous poster had implied. I don't expect miracles but I expect an MVS type role in year one. 

He's got tools that will contribute this year.  I just don't think he'll get the targets many are thinking he'll get.   Definite weapon though.  

I mean, I would have felt a lot worse about the Wyatt pick in a mock.  The downsides are obvious- he's older and there are off-field red flags.  But if the Packers organization (who have even more reason to scrutinize this stuff than I do) have gotten to a place where they're okay with it, then I kind of have to give them the benefit of the doubt.

You can't really look at it as "they traded Davante for what?" since there was no realistic option for the Packers to retain Davante Adams.  I'm not sure I would have taken Quay Walker at 22 (I might have gone Karlaftis at 22 and Logan Hall at 28 and George Pickens at 34 so I'm obviously okay with the positions they picked.)

Edited by PossibleCabbage

5 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

In all fairness if someone posted a mock 3 months ago that went exactly like the draft did there is absolutely ZERO chance it would have been well received and you can't convince me otherwise.

Arguably the best WR in the league and a second for an ILB and an FCS wide receiver is a trade 99% of this board would crap all over if it was any other team.

I gave it the C. I hate it other than the OL picks.

AND Devondre Campbell AND Rasul Douglass AND $10m in cap space

• Like 5