Grade the Packers Draft

Old Guy

Grade the Packers draft  

109 members have voted

1. 1. OK the pickin' is done! How'd we do in your opinion?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

The Adams trade, Walker pick and trade up for Watson are all moves with plenty of room for fans to question them.  Those are the kinds of moves that make or break a GM's legacy.  The way these moves work out will play a large role in how Gute's term as Packers GM will be remembered.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Chili said:

......For the 2nd round I was happy with any one of Pickens, Watson, Pierce and Thornton. We all knew there was a possibility of a trade up but none of us was sure who it would be for. I'm delighted with Watson despite losing that extra 2nd round pick. The 2nd round represented our very last chance to land a starting WR and with a bare WR room Gute could not afford to let the board fall to him as he has done in the past, he had to be proactive. This was the moment we HAD to make sure we nabbed the best WR on the board. Thankfully Gute did just that. It was a necessary move by Gute and he hand picked his guy rather than picking whoever was left.....

This ^

2 hours ago, R T said:

If Watson has 35-40 catches and 600 yards, it will be a very successful season for him. Thinking more than that probably isn't very realistic.  

As a rookie, MVS had 73 targets, 38 receptions and 581 yards.  That is probably what we are looking for out of Watson in his rookie season.  Cobb and Lazard are going to see a big uptick in their targets this season.  

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/V/ValdMa00.htm

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

As a rookie, MVS had 73 targets, 38 receptions and 581 yards.  That is probably what we are looking for out of Watson in his rookie season.  Cobb and Lazard are going to see a big uptick in their targets this season.  

How many bubble screens got tossed MVS's way (?) - how many end arounds did MVS run (?) - plus I think Watson could do far more damage with drag routes / slants over the middle than MVS did - certainly his rookie season.

I dont know. I'm not predicting some grand rookie accomplishments......but I really dont think it's gonna be hard to get Watson the ball - and thats really the goal: put the ball in his hands and let his speed cause problems.......

We'll see....but I'm optimistic MLF will scheme the ball Watson's way.

1 minute ago, Leader said:

How many bubble screens got tossed MVS's way (?) - how many end arounds did MVS run (?) - plus I think Watson could do far more damage with drag routes / slants over the middle than MVS did - certainly his rookie season.

I dont know. I'm not predicting some grand rookie accomplishments......but I really dont think it's gonna be hard to get Watson the ball - and thats really the goal: put the ball in his hands and let his speed cause problems.......

We'll see....but I'm optimistic MLF will scheme the ball Watson's way.

I don't know.  I am just saying that is probably how many targets we can expect Watson to get as a rookie.  I am not even comparing them as players.  Just the opportunity that I think he will have as rookies.  MVS was the second WR for a good portion of that season because Cobb, Ty Montgomery, and EQ were hurt for portions of the season (go figure).  Watson will probably be "WR 4" to start the season.  But do you believe that either Cobb or Watkins won't miss time during the season? There will be games where Watson is a primary target.  There will probably be some other games where all he does is run deep a couple of times to draw a safety.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/V/ValdMa00.htm

Maybe a similar amount of targets, but I'd expect more efficiency (he has much better ball tracking ability than MVS). Watson had 58 targets last year (or 62, I've seen both numbers) and had 43 receptions, and his average depth of target was deep.

8 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I don't know.  I am just saying that is probably how many targets we can expect Watson to get as a rookie.  I am not even comparing them as players.  Just the opportunity that I think he will have as rookies.  MVS was the second WR for a good portion of that season because Cobb, Ty Montgomery, and EQ were hurt for portions of the season (go figure).  Watson will probably be "WR 4" to start the season.  But do you believe that either Cobb or Watkins won't miss time during the season? There will be games where Watson is a primary target.  There will probably be some other games where all he does is run deep a couple of times to draw a safety.

I dont know either...all I'm saying is if we're gonna be playing a version of small ball with quick distributive passing - getting this kid the ball shouldnt be all that tough. Will they do it? Anybody's guess - but I'd give it a try.

I wont say he's "Williams-like" with his ability to find a seam and go - primarily because all his tape is against who knows who defenders.....but lets explore those qualities :)

8 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I'm not really sure what fans can question about it.  Adams was not going to play on the tag, and didn't want to sign an extension with the Packers.  So what are they supposed to do?  Trade him for more somehow?

Not sign a running back last year to big money and use that money to extend to extend Davante while he was still open to it?

4 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

He's 24. Like the player. Like the fit. Dislike drafting 24 year olds. 

But if he's one of the best in his position and one of the most athletic and pro-ready DL then his age becomes less of an issue.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

Not sign a running back last year to big money and use that money to extend to extend Davante while he was still open to it?

Was he open to it though?  Like they tried to extend Davante for something like 20 straight months and could not get it done.

• Like 1

Far too much emphasis on what Watson will do in his rookie year. I expect to see something, but his entire career in Green Bay counts for way more than what he does in 2022.

Do we wish to get more from him in his rookie year, well yes, we want another good target for Rodgers while he (Rodgers) is still playing for us, but if wishes were fishes we'd have an awful  lot of fish.

He might take a year to get going - many good WRs do. I'm good with that, but a lot of others don't seem to be.