Grade the Packers Draft

Old Guy

Grade the Packers draft  

109 members have voted

1. 1. OK the pickin' is done! How'd we do in your opinion?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I say A- and only the minus because I kind of wanted a true safety type to be able to play the dime role and provide some injury insurance.

I LOVE:  Wyatt, Watson, Tom, and Doubs.  I like everyone else.  I am excited for this draft class.  I wish TC started tomorrow. 

3 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

"bust" for him is like MVS level, where he doesn't develop into much more than a speed threat.  This kid is going to be good!

Most physically gifted since Javon Walker.

Just to play Devil's advocate, watching J'mon Moore's college highlights and he looks like a superstar. If their jerseys were the same you might think you're looking at the same player.

I think the bust risk for Watson is a very legitimate argument and I'm extremely happy we hedged our best with Doubs. He's the definition of a boom/bust prospect.

3 minutes ago, Sandy said:

Just to play Devil's advocate, watching J'mon Moore's college highlights and he looks like a superstar. If their jerseys were the same you might think you're looking at the same player.

I think the bust risk for Watson is a very legitimate argument and I'm extremely happy we hedged our best with Doubs. He's the definition of a boom/bust prospect.

Just now, Sandy said:

He has wheels that J'Mon never had.  He also is 50 times more intelligent.  Like I said, Watson's "bust" is MVS level.  He will be a big field stretcher, who can block the hell out of defensive backs.  That won't change if he doesn't develop a full route tree, or the hands don't improve.  

• Like 2

I'd give it a B+.  I at least 'like' all their picks. Loved the value getting Rhyan in round 3, Enagbare in round 5, and Rasheed Walker in round 7. Trading up for Watson was costly, but worth it. What keeps it from being an A for me is not Quay Walker himself, but just picking him so high at #22 when you had Daxton Hill, Tyler Smith, and Jermaine Johnson still on the board. Knock on Walker was between the ears, lack of instincts, etc. But the Packers think they can coach him up, so we will see.

12 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

He has wheels that J'Mon never had.  He also is 50 times more intelligent.  Like I said, Watson's "bust" is MVS level.  He will be a big field stretcher, who can block the hell out of defensive backs.  That won't change if he doesn't develop a full route tree, or the hands don't improve.  

You may be right, maybe Watsons speed is more evident against NFL DBs. Watching both their college highlights back to back, then back to back again, I'm seeing two guys of similar size and explosiveness. The speed difference isn't super noticable but both are violently explosive. 

Moore's superior agility was apparent. Saw him take some college defenders out of their shoes with his cuts. Physical, broke tackles. Confident. Still crazy to me that he was a bust.

Watson had to rely on gaining a step on defenders. Actually did better with contested catches than I'd been giving him credit for. You can see why he's an exciting prospect to pin some hopes on.

I just prefer using that type of capital on someone who already has the soft skills. Route running, hands, ball tracking. Not a huge RAS guy for WRs.  The best ones in the NFL don't have much higher ras scores than the average receiver. 

So I'll stand by it. He could be DK Metcalf. He could be J'mon Moore.

Edit: but the smarts and the attitude are things I like so far. Saying all the right things. I'm rooting for him but I'm not all that confident it'll work out.

Edited by Sandy

I think people don't realize that FCS football isn't THAT bad. It's not like these guys facing Watson all run 4.8 40s. Hell, NDSU's conference (MVFC--which is like the SEC of FCS) had more players drafted than 4 of the 5 Group of 5 conferences. I just rewatched the Senior Bowl tape, and here's the list of guys that Watson beat:

Coby Bryant 4.54, Greg Junior 4.46, Damarri Mathis 4.39, Zyon McCollum 4.33, Alontae Taylor 4.36

They aren't world beaters, but all of them got drafted. I think his speed will translate. This dude is 6'4", but he's twitched up.

• Like 1

Re the trade value, what do the two seconds equate to ?

We tried to trade up to 32 (which I'm guessing would be about even on the trade chart for the two seconds) so if it makes you feel better about the trade just think of it as we took him at 32 as that was the plan.

I didn't grade the draft because my guess would be worthless, but I will say that there are some real fan favourites taken this year, like Watson, Tom and Doubs.

I did like the order in which the needs were addressed - the first five picks at ILB, DL, WR, G, WR. The one thing missing from the day 1&2 picks was an edge . That position was so deep this year, I thought they would get one in the first two rounds (though they did pick up Enagbare later).

Biggest three takeaways (for me), were:
1)  moving up to guarantee getting Watson at #34 (expensive, but a gamble on greatness).
2)  actually getting a quality D lineman in round one, to pair with KC.
3)   satisfying the need for speed at WR (Watson, Doubs, Toure). Definitely 'Fast and Furious'.

Biggest surprises:
Quay Walker at #22. Half expected a Safety there,  but never saw an ILB coming. One thing I did notice was that in the week or so before the draft, this guy was a late riser on some of the boards out there. Additionally I never expected DL Devonte Wyatt to be there at #28. That makes day one the most surprising of the draft. I half expected a trade up high in round two, after day one had not produced a trade down into that area, but I never expected the Packers to give up both 2nd rounders to get so high - not complaining mind you, it was just like "WHOA ! - they traded way up".

Most unsurprising:
Three O linemen taken in rounds 3, 4, 7.

Darn it, we missed out on him
Some guys I wanted them to get this year, that they didn't get, OT/G Tyler Smith (went at #24, thought he'd be early round 2), WR Alec Pierce (went at #53), CB Marcus Jones (#85), ILB Channing Tindall (#102), TEs Cade Otton (#106) and Chigi Okonkwo (#143).

Other likes included DL Logan Hall (#33) and Travis Jones (#76), and Edge guys Josh Paschal (#46) and Cameron Thomas (87). Most of the picks I mentioned did not fall nicely for the Packers board. I guess the Packers could have had Hall at 28 - but to take Hall when Wyatt was there - maybe not. 

I kind of liked WR Pickens, though the immaturity stuff bothered me. CB/RS Marcus Jones I wanted as a return guy, but he went went too early at #85 (imo) considering he is about 5'8" and is recovering from ops on both his shoulders. TE Otton in the 4th would have been nice, but he went 24 picks before the Packers first 4th rounder at 132, which is where I would have liked him. Chigi Okonkwo (who I saw as a big, burly receiver, more than a TE) could have been had with a 4th round pick, but I cannot really complain at the picks taken there (WR Doubs and OL Zach Tom). Edge/DE Dominique Robinson could have been had with pick 171, but the Packers traded down to 179, by which time he had been taken.

TL:DR
I was much happier with this draft than immediately after the draft last year. Part of that was having 2x 1sts and 2x 2nds going in, but on the whole, I liked the picks this year.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 1

I haven’t been this excited about a draft in a long time.

I have wanted fast LBers that can get anywhere on the field and make plays for years. The best defenses seem to have linebackers that are all over the place. 

Having 2 good DL should help with pressure and freeing up the LB.

I am very excited about Watson. He is a freak that we haven’t had at WR in years. I also don’t understand the logic that we gave up two 2nd rounders to get him. We gave up one 2nd to get him considering picking him is the other pick. Had we not moved up high into the 2nd we would’ve been left with essentially nothing at WR. 

• Like 1