Grade the Packers Draft

Old Guy

Grade the Packers draft  

109 members have voted

1. 1. OK the pickin' is done! How'd we do in your opinion?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

B for me.

Day 1 surprised me but I liked it. 

Day 2 is the day that will define this draft, specifically the Watson pick. Not only did we draft him, we gave up another top 60 player for him. He needs to live up to that. Loved the Rhyan pick in the 3rd.

Day 3 was a home run. 

Edited by packfanfb

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

I whiffed round 1, didn't think we'd take an ILB, thought Wyatt would be an age red for us. 

I think the Wyatt thing threw a bunch of people off because of age. Is this Gute in the 'win now mode?' Wyatt was the best D-lineman in the draft but at his age how much upside? 

Although I hated giving up 53 and 59, looking back now I would rather have Watson and no other SRP than have stayed and got Pierce at 53 and maybe Drake Jackson/Bonitto or anyone else drafted 59 or later.

Bummed we weren't able to get a top 3-4 TE though. Can't always get what you want I guess.

24 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I think the Wyatt thing threw a bunch of people off because of age. Is this Gute in the 'win now mode?' Wyatt was the best D-lineman in the draft but at his age how much upside? 

I think it might be a bit of a philosophical thing at the IDL position.   Most will say it takes IDL a bit of time to before they can handle the OL/DL of the NFL game.   younger player will take time to develop vs an older player might be more ready now.  

22 vs 24 year old, if that 24 year old can come in and contribute in year 1 like 50% snaps, vs a 22 year old that gives you 20-25% snaps.

After enough time, the body breaks down regardless, so it is probably a rare thing to get a 3rd contract.  so get the most out of the rookie deal for 4 years and maybe get the extension done to get 3-4 more years.  

58 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

At age 70, anybody under the age of 30 is young.  Age 22 isn't a hell of a lot younger than age 24 and I don't think Gute really cared about it.  He looked at what can you do for us now and being the best d lineman in the draft available where he was .. sweet. Thinking Gute thinks Wyatt's upside is now and for the next 4 years .. after that, it's a crap shoot anyway.

Gets an A from me —

Walker - Most WTF pick in the whole draft, but that's partially what gets me excited the most. They must see something special. Think he could take our defense to the next level and solidify things for years to come.

Wyatt - Exactly the kind of DT we've been clamouring for for years, and should be able to contribute early.

Watson - How can you not be excited about this pick? Obvious bust potential, but upside is off the charts.

Ryan & Tom - Uber athletic, versatile, smart O-lineman in the middle rounds. Sign me up.

Doubs - Looks to me like a competent NFL wideout. Adds depth at least, with potential to be a good player.

Enagbare - Haven't watched this kid, but again, sounds like exactly what we needed in terms of EDGE depth with upside.

Carpenter, Ford, Walker, Toure - All these guys are interesting to me.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, persiandud said:

A- , the only negative was giving the Vikings 2 2nds for Christian Watson. Not a fan of the prospect and the trade, but everything else was superb 

This was my fav Gutey draft 

It's still bizarre to me that we saw multiple divisional trades by rivals.  

• Like 1

I don't think there's bust potential with Watson. He has the physical tools to where if you scheme him right, he's impactful. Everything I've seen says he's highly intelligent and is a plus player. He's going to be ridiculously good. He's arguably the most physically gifted WR we've had since Sharpe.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I don't think there's bust potential with Watson. He has the physical tools to where if you scheme him right, he's impactful. Everything I've seen says he's highly intelligent and is a plus player. He's going to be ridiculously good. He's arguably the most physically gifted WR we've had since Sharpe.

Was intrigued by Pickens and Pierce before the draft, but I'm all in on Watson the more I read/watch about him. Gimme Sterling Sharpe 2 all day, every day.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tperk said:

Was intrigued by Pickens and Pierce before the draft, but I'm all in on Watson the more I read/watch about him. Gimme Sterling Sharpe 2 all day, every day.

He's not Sharpe but he's a physical freak. There's no reason this kid can't thrive here. MLF just has to scheme him the ball.