Grade the Packers Draft

Old Guy

Grade the Packers draft  

109 members have voted

1. 1. OK the pickin' is done! How'd we do in your opinion?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

36 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

It's all about projection with Watson. You just don't know because he's been playing against insurance agents in the FCS. You're hoping the traits translate and he becomes a well-rounded WR, but you just don't know because of where he played and what he was asked to do there, which wasn't much except to just outrun guys.  

EVERY player taken by every team this weekend are projections IMO.  We just don't know how their play will transfer to the NFL.  You go on how they played in college and other measurables and see what happens.

• Like 1

I had to digest this for a bit. 

I wanted guys who can contribute right away. 

Wyatt and Walker will most certainly do that. They are going to make our defense so much better day 1. No more Kenny and a bunch of other guys or a black hole at ILB.

The defensive line and ILB positions are now positions of strength to go along with the best secondary in the game. The defense is LOADED . Best in the nfl . 

I wanted a WR who can contribute right away, and am confident Watson is the guy. Highest upside at WR too: kids going to be f’n great. He’s going to keep defenses honest . 

Doubs I’m not as high on as everyone else, but I do see a pro in him. At that pick, that’s a big W. 

Love the kid from UCLA. I just love our offensive line period. 

Letter grade: A. I’m in. I already bet us for the SB, probably going to do more soon. 

3 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I can only imagine what this forum (and National media) would be like had Gute stood pat at 53 and 59, and then IND moved ahead of GB to take Pierce in the early 50's

Bill Murray Reaction GIF

Bingo. It’s easy to look back and complain about trading up, but what are the chances one of those guys was going to be there at 53? I’d say 5% or less and then imagine the meltdown.

1 minute ago, Arthur Penske said:

Idk how someone can watch Jameson and Watson play and think he easily has the highest upside of any WR. Watson will clearly get the advantage of playing with Rodgers but there were some really talented WRs that went ahead of him for a reason too. 

This ^

I like/liked Watson - but sought others ahead of him. I very much applaud Gute for going back up and snagging what's perceived to be WR1 talent. That was a bit out of character...but necessary IMO.

Watson's "unfinished" perhaps...but the skills are there.....and the WR room needed to infusion of talent.

7 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Idk how someone can watch Jameson and Watson play and think he easily has the highest upside of any WR. Watson will clearly get the advantage of playing with Rodgers but there were some really talented WRs that went ahead of him for a reason too. 

2 1/2" taller, 27 lbs heavier, probably runs just as fast. 

Is Jameson a more sure shot?  Absolutely.  Whose ceiling is higher?  Depends on if you think the staff can get Watson's skills to that top shelf.

58 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

The picks on defense could/should move that side from good to elite if they hit.

Hopefully our new ST coach along with some new faces can get things straightened out with those units.

It's up to MLF and Rodgers to make up for the loss of Adams.  Watson is an intriguing player to be sure, but he is unlikely to light up the league in his rookie year.

Ummm kind of take exception that Watson is unlikely to light it up this year.  Considering the state of the WR room he is going to get touches immediately.  Think it is highly likely he is going to light it up.  He's in the best position of all the WR drafted.  Scheme, Rodgers, and lack of other weapons argues strongly against your point.  They will get him involved early and often. He'll only get better as the season progresses.  Kid has a legit shot at being OROY.  

7 minutes ago, packerstk7 said:

Even if Watson is raw, there is a type of WR who tends to be able to make an impact year one and that is one who has speed and can run simple deep routes for big plays.

I agree with @Scoremore in that (barring injury) I think the field's wide open for Watson to make an impact year 1.

On deep routes - thats a no brainer - but end arounds and bubble screens will take on a whole new character when Watson's toting the rock and they're easy plays to get the ball into his hands. Not a lot of route running nuance to them and unless CB;s find they can successfully jam Watson at the LOS - they'll be playing off - giving him plenty of room to catch and look for a seam. 

If "ceiling" is defined as the level I think a player is likely to reach, I'd say the player with the higher ceiling is Jameson.  His draft position relative to Watson reflects that, so I don't see any issue there.

If "ceiling" is defined by having physical traits that allow for the highest level of performance, that is Watson.  The physical traits are certainly a good thing to have, but the league is littered with the corpses of players with great physical traits that never put it all together.

I think maybe the biggest thing Watson has going for him is the QB and HC will both be going out of their way to put Watson in position to succeed.  Rodgers is probably as tired of hearing about how he never trusts new/young WR's as fans are of talking about it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Ummm kind of take exception that Watson is unlikely to light it up this year.  Considering the state of the WR room he is going to get touches immediately.  Think it is highly likely he is going to light it up.  He's in the best position of all the WR drafted.  Scheme, Rodgers, and lack of other weapons argues strongly against your point.  They will get him involved early and often. He'll only get better as the season progresses.  Kid has a legit shot at being OROY.  

I doubt he lights it up.  Can he have a good year?  Absolutely, but I think Rodgers will favor Cobb and Lazard.  Watson will have his spots and take some to the house for sure, but Cobb and Lazard will get the volume.  

"It's a matter of trust" - Billy Joel

12 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

I have no doubt both Rodgers and MLF will do everything they can to allow Watson to come out fast.  I'm not convinced those efforts will immediately translate on the field.

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

It's all about projection with Watson. You just don't know because he's been playing against insurance agents in the FCS. You're hoping the traits translate and he becomes a well-rounded WR, but you just don't know because of where he played and what he was asked to do there, which wasn't much except to just outrun guys.  

Nonsense. He'd cook CBs at any level.