Grade the Packers Draft

Old Guy

Grade the Packers draft  

109 members have voted

1. 1. OK the pickin' is done! How'd we do in your opinion?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

2 hours ago, ChaRisMa said:

We’re talking FCS to NFL. You guys think his speed is enough for separation at this level? It’s an FCS coaching staff. The best player they’ve produced is Carson Wentz. He only went over 100 yards 4 times in his two healthy years sandwiching an injury season. Panic button got smacked. Ted would be so disappointed.

Where did Jerry Rice, Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, Andre Reed, Tyreek Hill, Cooper Kupp, Antonio Brown, Greg Jennings, and Donald Driver play?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wgbeethree said:

1) ILB isn't a premium position and you don't draft them high.

2) You don't draft older players high.

3) You don't fall in love with a player and "overpay" for him in the draft.

I feel like all three of these statements would have been resoundingly supported by the board and thought of as fundamental beliefs of the FO a week ago.

You do when you're in win now mode. This was a win now draft, drafting 21 year old's waiting 3 years to develop is not gonna do us any good having a 3 year window with a hall of fame QB.

I feel like all three of these statements would have been resoundingly supported by the board and thought of as fundamental beliefs of the FO a week ago.

What exactly bothers you about drafting a 24 year old? A 2 contract guy will be with us for 8 or 9 years.  The 9th year will put him at 33 years old.  It isn't like Wyatt is a RB or defensive back either.  He isn't reliant on long speed.  If anything, he should be stronger than he would be as a 21 year old.

4 minutes ago, St Vince said:

You do when you're in win now mode. This was a win now draft, drafting 21 year old's waiting 3 years to develop is not gonna do us any good having a 3 year window with a hall of fame QB.

I think this is a big part of what we mostly got wrong as a forum. We accurately identified the typical M.O. for this front office in a low urgency setting.  Now we're seeing how they operate knowing that their best shot at ever winning a SB has just one to three seasons left. 

I will say I do disagree with the trade up - but I understand why they did it. I don't think it technically broke rule 3. Let's say Walker and Wyatt were top 15 on their boards (pretty realistic imo) and each in a tier above Watson.  It's conceivable that Watson was, say, 20th on their board, and that they felt this actually was a bargain trade. My disagreement is solely with the idea that Watson should be valued as high as 34, let alone the cost of both 53 and 59.

8 minutes ago, Sandy said:

I think this is a big part of what we mostly got wrong as a forum. We accurately identified the typical M.O. for this front office in a low urgency setting.  Now we're seeing how they operate knowing that their best shot at ever winning a SB has just one to three seasons left. 

I will say I do disagree with the trade up - but I understand why they did it. I don't think it technically broke rule 3. Let's say Walker and Wyatt were top 15 on their boards (pretty realistic imo) and each in a tier above Watson.  It's conceivable that Watson was, say, 20th on their board, and that they felt this actually was a bargain trade. My disagreement is solely with the idea that Watson should be valued as high as 34, let alone the cost of both 53 and 59.

If he was the receiver they coveted they had to make the move to get him. I was lukewarm yesterday when they traded up for him but I'm on board with it now. We needed speed at that position losing MVS and he brings that element. We needed a receiver who can get behind DBs. I think MLF will scheme this kid into a superstar.

5 hours ago, PackFan13 said:

4.32 isn't fast enough?  Oh boy. They threw the ball 15 times a game on average. Relax big guy

I’m asking if he has a way to get open other than speed? Physicality? Savvy? Crisp routes? How is he against press?

Throwing the ball so little isn’t a supporting argument for Watson. It’s just that much less experience he has.

I’m completely relaxed, can’t come to this forum any other way because those who have nothing to say except **** post are why almost all of the quality content posters don’t bother.

4 hours ago, Gopackgonerd said:

You can tell how fast a guy moves regardless of competition. Out of all the things you could question about Watson, its his speed? idk about that one chief.

Again, I’m asking if his speed is such a fantastic trait in its lonesome for him to make it? What else is he Pro Ready regarding WR play? Tell me.

3 hours ago, coachbuns said:

From what I've heard/read .. Watson set the senior bowl on fire with his play.  Not sure he can suck as bad as you say but light it up there.  I'm kind of leaning toward Gute and the senior bowl.  Maybe he has a twin that you saw and the Packers the other?  

Yeah that’s encouraging the Senior bowl is a great place to get a peek at all those guys competing. But NFL CBs weren’t the opposition and there’s no time for a rookie WR to learn to read coverages and learn to run a curl properly.

3 hours ago, TheEagle said:

Where did Jerry Rice, Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, Andre Reed, Tyreek Hill, Cooper Kupp, Antonio Brown, Greg Jennings, and Donald Driver play?

Not for Noah Pauley, Watsons WR coach. Not for Randy Hedberg, his passing game coordinator who has never coached WR btw. Nor Matt Entz’ defensive mind. I’m talking about THOSE guys. His coaches. How Pro Ready is he? Not very. Why’s that a problem? Rodgers retires and the window slams.

41 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

I was talking about the coaching staff he had developing him, because those are his mentors. Good input of typical forum quality.

That NDSU coaching staff is about as good as it gets. I've talked to people connected to the high school and college scene in the Upper Midwest, and they say they respect that staff more than any. They run a lot of NFL concepts, their QB coach is a former NFL player, etc. Just listen to how Gutey talks about that staff.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

Not for Noah Pauley, Watsons WR coach. Not for Randy Hedberg, his passing game coordinator who has never coached WR btw. Nor Matt Entz’ defensive mind. I’m talking about THOSE guys. His coaches. How Pro Ready is he? Not very. Why’s that a problem? Rodgers retires and the window slams.

Hedberg played in the NFL. The OC when Watson got there has plenty of experience coaching WRs. He was previously OC and WRs coach at Iowa State. He's the OC at Kansas State now. 

How were the coaches at Mississippi Valley State (Rice), Marshall (Moss), Chattanooga (Owens), Kutztown (Reed), West Alabama (Hill), Central Michigan (Brown), Western Michigan (Jennings), Eastern Washington (Kupp), and Alcorn State (Driver)?

We'll see. I don't think it will take Watson years to develop. To get to his absolute best, of course.

5 hours ago, Norm said:

He's talking out his ***.

Box score scouting from a guy who hasn't watched three FCS games in his life, who didn't have this dude on his radar and wanted someone else and is having a wee bit of a tantrum over it now.

Norm, you are the single worst poster on this forum. Someday you will wake up and realize how much of your life you wasted on here with your cancerous tribalism immaturity that stops anyone who used to post original content from wanting to be here. 

• Like 1