The Marvel Cinematic Universe- Silver Surfer cast

Acgott

On 7/24/2018 at 11:15 AM, Deadpulse said:

No more or less likely than it already was IMO. I wouldn't be surprised if the Guardians disband and we see potential solo or duel movies. Star Lord and Rocket/Groot flicks for instance. Odds are, Captain Marvel will be a new link to the cosmic side of things after A4. Plus there are rumors of a Nova movie and who knows what they are doing with Adam Warlock. GotG was probably already heading into a hiatus, with or without Gunn. 

I keep thinking of the interview Feige did a month or two back, where he said after the next avengers movie, the following marvel movie (guardians of the Galaxy 3) will set the foundation for the next phase of the MCU.  It'll be nice to see it become more cosmic, but I have to wonder if that will water down the potency of localized earth hero movies like Spiderman or Ant-Man after that.

52 minutes ago, NickButera said:

I keep thinking of the interview Feige did a month or two back, where he said after the next avengers movie, the following marvel movie (guardians of the Galaxy 3) will set the foundation for the next phase of the MCU.  It'll be nice to see it become more cosmic, but I have to wonder if that will water down the potency of localized earth hero movies like Spiderman or Ant-Man after that.

The following Marvel movie is Spider-Man 2 not Guardians 3.

2 hours ago, NickButera said:

Nothing will waterdown Spider-Man; he is far too beloved. And I still cannot get over how perfect the casting/writing for his character has been so far.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fretgod99 said:

Nothing will waterdown Spider-Man; he is far too beloved. And I still cannot get over how perfect the casting/writing for his character has been so far.

And honestly it's as it should be.  You've got what are ultimately core/landmark characters in Marvel and the wise move is to circulate the phases from one to the next to the next.  So in this case you've got Captain America/Iron Man (and Thor is just a slightly lesser capacity) as the landmark characters of the first phase, then logically it makes sense to make Spidey the landmark of the second phase, and by the time that's done that would actually be an appropriate time (enough time having passed since the most recent/successful incarnation) to reboot Wolverine and then you do Phase 3 with a proper X-Men arc (and possibly FF concurrently because there's enough interaction between the two it can work for crossover stuffs) that's still going to feature Wolverine as your landmark character.

• Like 1

I feel like we need to clear up the terminology for the MCU. Up to this point, "phase" has been used to mean in between Avenger movies IE Phase 1 is Iron Man, Iron Man 2, Thor, Captain America, Avengers 1 with Phase 2 being Iron Man 3, Winter Soldier, Dark World, GotG, Avengers 2. So now that we are entering the end of the arc started in phase one, what should we call it as a whole? Arc 1? Chapter, Series, Season, etc. I feel like there needs to be an official term because its confusing when people refer to post A4 as phase 2. 

10 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

I feel like we need to clear up the terminology for the MCU. Up to this point, "phase" has been used to mean in between Avenger movies IE Phase 1 is Iron Man, Iron Man 2, Thor, Captain America, Avengers 1 with Phase 2 being Iron Man 3, Winter Soldier, Dark World, GotG, Avengers 2. So now that we are entering the end of the arc started in phase one, what should we call it as a whole? Arc 1? Chapter, Series, Season, etc. I feel like there needs to be an official term because its confusing when people refer to post A4 as phase 2. 

Series makes the most sense to me.  It encapsulates the multiple phases and storyline into one comprehensive series of events leading to an ultimate culmination.  Series 1 Phase 2 would describe the events leading up to Age of Ultron, and so on and so forth.  Post A4, we start Series 2 Phase 1.

Post A4, will they continue to get the team up movies under the "Avengers" umbrella (I know Spider-Man has been an avenger at various points in the comics) or will they go for a different team up movie?  My guess is they will continue the cash cow that is the Avengers and it makes sense as they have always had a rotating roster of heroes, but the thought hadn't really crossed my mind that they could do the same formula built around a different group within the same cinematic universe.

2 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Series makes the most sense to me.  It encapsulates the multiple phases and storyline into one comprehensive series of events leading to an ultimate culmination.  Series 1 Phase 2 would describe the events leading up to Age of Ultron, and so on and so forth.  Post A4, we start Series 2 Phase 1.

I like that. Can I make an official Entertainment Sub Mod decree that this is the terminology to be used henceforth? Do I have that power? Webby? lol

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

Post A4, will they continue to get the team up movies under the "Avengers" umbrella (I know Spider-Man has been an avenger at various points in the comics) or will they go for a different team up movie?  My guess is they will continue the cash cow that is the Avengers and it makes sense as they have always had a rotating roster of heroes, but the thought hadn't really crossed my mind that they could do the same formula built around a different group within the same cinematic universe.

Not sure what other moniker they would use. Avengers is the most marketable.Most other teams in the comics are just variations on the Avengers name with the only notable exceptions being:

X-Men - no explanation needed, various incarnations of "X" teams as well

Defenders - Used on Netflix already

Alpha Flight - Currently Captain Marvel's team of first responders for any cosmic threats to Earth housed based on a space station in orbit. For the most part, the Captain is the only Major hero on the team, so this probably wouldnt work. 

Illuminati - It started as a response to the Kree-Skrull War that leaked onto Earth. It was supposed to be a mega group from various other groups (Tony from the Avnegers, Xavier from the Xmen, Black Bolt from the Inhumans, Reed Richards from F4). The group became a secret cabal or sorts that decided the actions taken by the Avengers, the Fantastic Four, the Xmen ect. Who was best suited to handle certain things etc. Really they were a guiding invisible hand of the hero community. I really want this group to be in the MCU (yet another secret Tony is keeping from the vast majority of heroes) but I dont think it could serve as a team up movie since its a secret organization. 

Champions - This team if fairly new (about 1 year in comic land) and is comprised of young heroes that got fed up with the Avengers and their tactics. In the comics the team has included the following: Sam Alexander (Nova), Miles Morales (Spiderman), Kamala Khan (Ms Marvel), time displaced Cyclops (a teenage Scott before he killed Xavier), Ammadeus Cho (super genius kid and also a Hulk that retains his intelligence), Viv Vision (Visions daughter - that he built), Riri Williams aka Iron-Heart (girl genius from chicago who recreates Tony's suit designs), and Nadia Van Dyne aka Wasp (Hank Pyms daughter but not Janet's confusingly).This really couldnt be done in the next Series as it would require set up, but if the MCU can get into its third decade, I could see this being a thing. 

Ultimates - So this was originally just the Ultimate universes Avengers. When the Ultimate universe merged with the proper universe (kinda, really only Miles "merged') these team was phased out in 2015. Since then, there was an ongoing that didnt last all that long of a team called the Ultimates 2 IIRC consisting of Captain Marvel, TChalla, Blue Marvel, Spectrum, and Miss America. They formed to solve "the ultimate problems" and be a proactive team of heroes rather than reactive. Notably they figured out how to reverse Galactus' polarity using the same ancient tech that turned Galan into Galactus and turn him from "The Devourer" to "The Lifebringer". This was literally just undone in an event issue last week, but still a pretty big accomplishment. 

1 hour ago, biggio7 said:

Like DC is doing with their streaming channel. I'd love to see Marvel do this too.

Eh it will all be on the Disney streaming service at some point or another, doubt the Netflix shows will go over but the rest of them like AOS, Runaways (it might stay on hulu) C&D and whatever else they develop will all end up on it. 

5 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

I could see them starting off with a Wolveribne movie, then moving towards the XMen immediately after, with stand alone F4 and similar characters in bewteen  There's probably not enough there to do it like the Avengers.  But if you had asked me ten years ago, I wouldn't have thought they could pull off three Catain America movies, three Ironman movies and the Thor series.  Maybe the team up movies would be more like F4 and the XMen, Guardians and the F4, or something similar.  

11 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

I could see them starting off with a Wolveribne movie, then moving towards the XMen immediately after, with stand alone F4 and similar characters in bewteen  There's probably not enough there to do it like the Avengers.  But if you had asked me ten years ago, I wouldn't have thought they could pull off three Catain America movies, three Ironman movies and the Thor series.  Maybe the team up movies would be more like F4 and the XMen, Guardians and the F4, or something similar.  

My thought too with Wolverine. He is one of the biggest draws and Hugh Jackman left an unbelievable character to take over. I know Wolverine has always been big but Jackman brought him even more into the mainstream and created a whole new generation of fans. Only problem is Jackman may have left too big of shoes to fill.

I would love to see Jackman's Wolverine trade off lines with RDJ Stark, and see interactions between him and Hulk.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Fair enough.  I didn't want to use "arc" (which would probably be the most appropriate term - comic-wise) for fear of confusing people.

Now don't get me wrong, I expect greedy Disney to rush things and we end up with an X-Men reboot sooner than they really should, but I can hold out hope.  A wiser approach would be to hold off and tease the debut of a new Wolverine for the first couple movies in the second half of Series 2 (similar to how the did with Spider-man in Series 1 - with, even though it throws off the continuity, them confirming that the little kid in the Iron Man mask that Tony saves in, IIRC, Iron Man 2 was Peter Parker), and in the interim, you introduce Iceman and do some modified Defenders stuff and work the Spidey/Iceman/Black Cat triangle as part of it.  Or conversely (though again, I've already voice my position on how the Fantastic Four well has already been poisoned pretty horrendously), substitute Human Torch for Iceman, and use Kitty Pryde working in some internship capacity at the Baxter Building as the means to eventually crossover Wolverine and the X-Men.

11 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

My thought too with Wolverine. He is one of the biggest draws and Hugh Jackman left an unbelievable character to take over. I know Wolverine has always been big but Jackman brought him even more into the mainstream and created a whole new generation of fans. Only problem is Jackman may have left too big of shoes to fill.

I would love to see Jackman's Wolverine trade off lines with RDJ Stark, and see interactions between him and Hulk.

I think it can be done, but I think there needs to be a cooling off period.  LIS, ideally, you give the roughly 8 years that Series 1 took to progress from Iron Man to Infinity Wars.

Jackman left big shoes to fill, but at the same time no one saw Jackman coming (he'd done two smaller-budget Aussie films and some TV prior and other than that most of his background was theater), so that may be the best route to go with regard to a new Wolverine (barring an ideal character actor who has, age and time-wise, eight-plus years to commit to the role  the way RDJ did with Stark), since that was effectively the route they went to cast Hemsworth and Holland.  Also, if you stick to a more canonical version of Logan (will be interesting to see since as Logan showed, you really need to be willing to up the level of violence to do him properly) and make him the shorter, stockier version - it should present enough of a difference in characterization to allow the actor to make the character their own (or at least differentiate it from the previously accepted version - akin, but not fully like, Ledger did with his Joker compared to Nicholson's and Hamill's).

• Acgott changed the title to The Marvel Cinematic Universe- Silver Surfer cast