Goldfish's Way Too Early Draft Rankings 2022 (All Up)

goldfishwars

47 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Nick Caserio is officially in the top half of this draft - good for him. 

It was Bill all along!!...

Also, that preppy young buck director of player personnel; Groh. He was falling over himself to defend this draft. Mentioned 'speed' seven times in one answer to a question not exclusively related to 'speed'. He's got his clean cut mitts all over this draft. 

• Like 1

That's a reasonable spot for Tennessee.  Probably a few you haven't put up yet that I'd put beneath them (Steelers), but middle of the pack is about right.

No idea what they were thinking with McCreary.

"Well, we have a great team, but we've struggled on offense and lost some pieces.  Now we've got an early pick in the second round, what do you think we should do?"

"How about an unathletic corner with the second shortest arms at the position in the last two decades?"

"Wait a minute, haven't we spent a third, second, and first round pick at that position in the last two years?"

"Yes."

"And didn't we just say that the first rounder we drafted just last year has come a long way in the offseason, and is looking really good in practice?"

"Yes."

"And aren't there still two or three other DBs ranked similarly, with more upside, still on the board?  Not to mention even higher ranked players at other positions of even higher value, like Edge or DL where we could stand to have better depth?"

"Yes."

"Then hell yeah, run that selection up there!"

• Like 3

I didn’t like the trade but it’s clear AJ wanted out to go play with a significantly worse QB in Philly. He was a very good receiver but he also had issues with injuries and the occasional drops. No to mention the Twitter bs. We’ll see how long he’s happy in Philly with Hurts attempting to throw him the ball. I see nothing wrong with the McCreary pick. Dude was a borderline 1st round talent with very good film against some elite WRs.  Booth was rumored to have knee issues or something. I don’t see much of different between Gordon and McCreary except McCreary has actually faced elite talent and done very well. Titans should have a very good CB room when healthy but that’s the issue. Fulton hasn’t played a full season yet and Farley is a walking injury. Molden is the nickel/3rd safety guy. McCreary has position flexibility to play inside and outside. Adding CBs certainly is never a bad thing regardless of what some Titan fans think is a “need”. 15 is certainly fair though but I think a lot of peoples opinions of this draft will be directly tied to AJ and how Burks does.

CB is only a need if you’re giving up on Farley after one season.

And if you’re giving up on a first round player you drafted with an injury for being injured, then I’m not sure why you would even consider taking him.

14. Cincinnati Bengals

Cincinnati Bengals: Closer look at Bengals' 2022 draft picks

This Class In One Sentence:

A draft with a preference for versatility 

Pre-Draft Needs

S, C, CB, TE

Selections

Round 1. 31. Daxton Hill  | S | Michigan

Round 2. 60. Cam Taylor-Britt  | CB | Nebraska

Round 3. 95. Zachary Carter  | DT | Florida

Round 4. 136. Cordell Volson  | OT | North Dakota State

Round 5. 166. Tycen Anderson  | S | Toledo

Round 7. 252. Jeffrey Gunter  | DE | Coastal Carolina

What I liked:

Obviously the Bengals decided to turn their attention away from the offensive line, after some key additions in free agency. That attention seemed to switch to a secondary, once a great area of strength and now needing some patching-up. I think it was non-flashy draft, but resources were well-spent. 

I loved the Daxton Hill selection, he was one of my favorite players in the class and someone I expected New England to take a very close look at given his skill-set. He’s super smart, highly versatile and could play anywhere on the back end, including on at boundary corner if needed. 

I liked Cam Taylor-Britt also, quite a bit – another player I thought the Pats would look at given his similarl versatility having played some corner and safety at Nebraska. He was actually once an insanely good high school quarterback, and has elite speed and is an ascending talent at the back end. Tycen Anderson is really intriguing in the 5th round too, a big, fast strong safety who can hit. The Bengals have done a good job in adding athletic pieces to the secondary.

Zach Carter is fine at 95, and fits the theme of someone who can rotate in at a couple of spots on the edge and has packed down inside for the Gators too. Jeffrey Gunter comes in a similar package in round 7. 

What I didn’t like:

This is pretty minor because Cordell Volson is a decent swing in the fourth round on a developmental guard/tackle. There were other guys in that range I might have preferred - Zach Tom and Darian Kinnard for example. If he does end up inside permanently, he's tall at 6'7. I would loved Tom here, who many liked at center, with Ted Karras being okay to middling as a starter in the league.

Edited by goldfishwars
  • Like 3

#15 for what has to be viewed as a solid draft. That's about right, just a nudge above average.

There are a lot of guys who can play. The question is are there any who can play well? The last pick, Gunter from Coastal Carolina, could be a better pass rusher than Carter four rounds earlier.

It's interesting haow many bad drafting teams have not come up yet--Both NY teams, Houston, Detroit to name a few. You expect quality drafting from the Ravens but not so much the Lions.

Edited by onejayhawk

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

CB is only a need if you’re giving up on Farley after one season.

And if you’re giving up on a first round player you drafted with an injury for being injured, then I’m not sure why you would even consider taking him.

Who said anything about giving up on him? CB was a need whether you wanted to believe it or not. At one point last season, they trotted out Buster Skrine and Chris Jackson as starters. Not terrible depth players but shouldn’t be starting. I like a top 4 of Fulton, Farley, McCreary, and Molden with Skrine and Jackson at depth guys than without McCreary. A lot more versatility which they liked to use a lot of nickel and big dime formations last year. I see no issue with taking a CB that high when you play in a passing league and need as many good DBs as possible. Not like the Titans pass defense was all that great anyway last season(even though injuries played apart of that).

11 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Is this part accurate? I thought the knock on him is he has been injured a bunch?

Yeah, durable definitely isn't the first word that comes to mind when describing AJ Brown. Soft tissue injuries for days...

2 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

We’ll see how long he’s happy in Philly with Hurts attempting to throw him the ball

If Hurts doesn't light it up this year, he gone, so AJ won't be waiting too long for a new QB.

• Like 1

I can't argue too much with the Bengals at 14.  I'd say more fringe top 10, but that could just be the homer in me and it's really not far off from where you have them.  Dax Hill was a pretty clear BPA at 31.  Pretty accurate assessment of the Bengals draft.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bolts223 said:

I don't follow the draft/college close enough to really agree/disagree with ranking us 18.

But what I will say is we've gotten a lot better and deeper in the secondary and on the O-line. 

The Chargers have a donut draft. The first pick was 62 picks before the second. The two picks in the top 100 are pretty good, but there are only two. At that it's better than Denver and Las Vegas, but the Chiefs had five. This draft will be told by the six day #3 picks.