Goldfish's Way Too Early Draft Rankings 2022 (All Up)

goldfishwars

4. Detroit Lions

The Dan Campbell Experience Comes to Detroit - The Ringer

This Class In One Sentence:

The Lions are getting serious about this

Pre-Draft Needs

QB, WR, LB, CB, OL

Selections

Round 1. 2. Aidan Hutchinson  | DE | Michigan

Round 1. 12. Jameson Williams  | WR | Alabama

Round 2. 46. Josh Paschal  | DE | Kentucky

Round 3. 97. Kerby Joseph  | S | Illinois

Round 5. 177. James Mitchell  | TE | Virginia Tech

Round 6. 188. Malcolm Rodriguez  | LB | Oklahoma State

Round 6. 217. James Houston IV  | LB | Jackson State

Round 7. 237. Chase Lucas  | CB | Arizona State

What I liked:

Man, I love Dan Campbell and his big rubber face. Every time he pops up on my screen with his enormous fist-pounding nonsense, I light up, I'm happy. He’s the Disney dad of a cartoon family, a loveable charismatic champion. I want that guy to do well, he deserves the best. I want him to be around when this team does well again. Brad Holmes too, what a gentleman.

The Hutch versus Walker debate will continue on after the draft, probably throughout their respective careers. Hutchison was always the more sensible option and it’ll be fascinating to see who was right. But Detroit were right be pumped to keep their man in state and I'll excuse his middle-aged suburban Mom suit with motivational quotes in the lining for a moment. Coming off a dominant year, he answered all doubts about a supposed lack of athleticism, and then some. He just looks like a he can't not be at least a good NFL player. 

The trade-up at 12 was fascinating, it seemed reckless at the time. I thought they were ruining the good work because the rebuild was far from complete. The move suggested it HAD TO BE A QB. But when it transpired they hadn’t given up very much to land, in my mind, the best receiver in the class - I liked it. He's a player they will not be in a rush to get healthy earlier than needed, he might be ready anyway. Williams just has insane speed, he can stretch the field with it and he's an excellent runner in space too. 

Paschal at 46 was the trifecta completed, three from three. I love Paschal, he’s an unrefined relentless fool who plays beyond his physical gifts. He’s perfect in Detroit, he's perfect for what they are trying to achieve. I'll have to keep going, because I like this whole class. Kerby Joseph got buried a little in deep safety crop, but he’s coming off a huge year and is a real ascending talent who can impact the game in two separate facets. 

Elsewhere, there’s things to like about James Mitchell and Malcolm Rodriguez most. Both are undersized, relative to the typical profile for their respective positions. Mitchell is a surprisingly decent blocker and can threaten the seam as a receiver. Rodriguez hits hard, relative to his size. But he's super smart, and always around the football. 

What I didn’t like:

I mean, the Lions could have given one of the sliding QB’s a shot. It's definitely not egregious, but the roster looks reasonably well stocked this year. It's going to be the position which holds the team back in 2022 back if Goff continues his on his current career trajectory. If they hit on a Sam Howell late, it would have given some flex moving forward - even as a quality back-up. Those are worth something. Listen, perhaps the smart move was always to wait until next year’s class and get a guy they were really in love with. We'll see, but being terrible and picking high again isn't the guarantee it was last year. 

Edited by goldfishwars
  • Like 4

54 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Man, I love Dan Campbell and his big rubber face. Every time he pop up on my screen with his enormous fist-pounding nonsense, my face lights up. He’s the dad of a cartoon family, a loveable charismatic champion. I want that guy to do well, he deserves the best. I want him to be around when this team does well again. Brad Holmes too, what a gentleman.

It's not often that 99.9% of the forum agrees on something...

...but I reckon we've got one here. Is there ANYONE, aside from perhaps direct competition (cough, Bears fans..) that doesn't want to see Dan do well?

• Like 12

I like the Lions draft, but I think it's more back half of the top 10 than 4.  Not a huge disagreement, but disagreement.  That's a little rich on Paschal for me, i'm not quite as high on Jameson Williams as some.  I do really like the Kerby Joseph pick though, and Hutch was a good pick.

5 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

...but I reckon we've got one here. Is there ANYONE, aside from perhaps direct competition (cough, Bears fans..) that doesn't want to see Dan do well?

Completely agree He imo is exactly the character big personality type of dude this Detroit franchise has been missing for as long as I can remember

This is another team ive been pretty impressed with what they have been doing for the last year or so ever since the Stafford trade and Brad Holmes hiring (fantastic hire imo)

• Like 1

What am I missing on the Lions draft? QB needy team has multiple chances to get one in the building and fails. 

They have a miserable secondary and got a box safety and an old CB.

I mean Hutch was a great pick, but anyone on this board turns in the same card. The rest of their draft doesn't do anything for me. They made a move up for a WR like they were a contender. 

Goff is going to make them good enough this year where they'll pick somewhere from 6-15. They'll need to give up tremendous value to get up and get the projected star QBs of next year's draft. Just not sure what direction they're going.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

From what ive heard NFC North rivals just feel bad for the Lions at this point. 

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

What am I missing on the Lions draft? QB needy team has multiple chances to get one in the building and fails. 

They have a miserable secondary and got a box safety and an old CB.

I mean Hutch was a great pick, but anyone on this board turns in the same card. The rest of their draft doesn't do anything for me. They made a move up for a WR like they were a contender. 

Goff is going to make them good enough this year where they'll pick somewhere from 6-15. They'll need to give up tremendous value to get up and get the projected star QBs of next year's draft. Just not sure what direction they're going.

Is it really worth it to get a QB just because? Especially in one of the weakest class in NFL history?

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Daniel said:

Probably my biggest disagreement so far. I probably put the Lions somewhere in the middle myself.

That blows my mind. The Lions had two picks in the top 12, so they are assured of two premium players unless the F up. That alone merits a close look and this is not a five pick draft like the Eagles 

3 hours ago, August4th said:

OP should be getting paid for this.

GFW is an institution. We have four prior years here, but there were at least five more on the old site. 

51 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

From what ive heard NFC North rivals just feel bad for the Lions at this point. 

That's a point. Can you imagine a Lions fan watching Stafford in teh Super Bowl.

2 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Is it really worth it to get a QB just because? Especially in one of the weakest class in NFL history?

What's there to lose in round 2? 

It's the most important position in sports. If you don't have one, you should take stabs every year until you do. 

14 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

That blows my mind. The Lions had two picks in the top 12, so they are assured of two premium players unless the F up. That alone merits a close look and this is not a five pick draft like the Eagles 

Yeah, that’s my take. High picks sets a high bar. Hutch was a fine pick, but I don’t think he’s the best prospect in the class like a lot of others, and I am definitely lower on Williams than most.

Paschal I thought was a reach, and everything else was ok value in my mind. Not a top draft to me.

They did get good value trading up though.