2022 OTA's / Minicamp / Training Camp / PreSeason / Super Bowl

Leader

19 hours ago, R T said:

Reed will take 0 of Lowry's snaps, Reed is the injury insurance signing and is 5th in snap count without injuries factored in.  

I have no idea how this will shake out.  What the rotation will look like, what roles and situations different guys will be used in.  But I wonder if your assumption that Reed is 5th in snaps is how Gute and Barry see it? 

The Packers paid Reed almost double what they paid for Watkins, I think?  It wouldn't surprise me if Reed/Wyatt snaps might not be something like watkins/Watson?  Coaches like veterans. It wouldn't surprise me if Wyatt didn't actually get all that many snaps, at least early on, and if the experienced vet got more. Just like I expect Watkins to get more snaps that Watson, at least early on.  You have Reed as 5th in snap count; it also wouldn't surprise me if he'd get more snaps than Slaton, too.  Absolutely possible that he won't, what do I know.  

The nice thing, either way, is that they should have some volume.  If a guy is hurt, or is playing badly, they've got options.  And if a guy is a bad matchup for some particular opponent, they can shuffle up their snaps distribution from game to game, too.  

But yeah, I wouldn't discount at least the possibility that Reed will get a non-trivial fraction of those snaps.  

Edited by craig

7 minutes ago, craig said:

I have no idea how this will shake out.  What the rotation will look like, what roles and situations different guys will be used in.  But I wonder if your assumption that Reed is 5th in snaps is how Gute and Barry see it? 

The Packers paid Reed almost double what they paid for Watkins, I think?  It wouldn't surprise me if Reed/Bryant snaps might not be something like watkins/Watson?  Coaches like veterans. It wouldn't surprise me if Bryant didn't actually get all that many snaps, at least early on, and if the experienced vet got more. Just like I expect Watkins to get more snaps that Watson, at least early on.  You have Reed as 5th in snap count; it also wouldn't surprise me if he'd get more snaps than Slaton, too.  Absolutely possible that he won't, what do I know.  

The nice thing, either way, is that they should have some volume.  If a guy is hurt, or is playing badly, they've got options.  And if a guy is a bad matchup for some particular opponent, they can shuffle up their snaps distribution from game to game, too.  

But yeah, I wouldn't discount at least the possibility that Reed will get a non-trivial fraction of those snaps.  

Not sure who Bryant is but yes, all 5 of them will be playing many non-trivial snaps and all 5 will be needed over the course of a 17-game regular season. The depth is important and the main reason why talking about cutting Lowry is silly talk. 

I'm guessing  Craig  meant Wyatt. Wyatt will likely have  a lot to learn as the Guards he faces in the NFL are so much better than what he faced in college, even in the SEC. Kenny Clark was pretty quiet his rookie year until pretty late. 

11 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I thought I read where we had the 10th or so most cap space in the league.

If that is true, and those numbers are true, there are 22 other clubs that are really, really hurting and should probably just forfeit now.

Especially the Patriots who have 902k left right now.  I'd love to see what their "in season piggy bank" fund is like.

Without looking into everyone's salary caps, I'd imagine that the Packers have pretty much exhausted almost every cap maneuver possible unlike other franchises.

6 hours ago, squire12 said:

Maybe, 1 of Lowry, Garvin  or Walker is the 3rd EDGE..... so there is no immediate need to add another body.

Those are not the most inspiring names. Let's hope Enagbare shows something in TC but otherwise I think we'll be fine scooping up someone after roster cutdowns.  Might be a vet who got replaced by younger/cheaper and we find ourselves another Mercilus.

Little more nervous about 3rd S/Dime DB though.

7 hours ago, Sandy said:

Those are not the most inspiring names. Let's hope Enagbare shows something in TC but otherwise I think we'll be fine scooping up someone after roster cutdowns.  Might be a vet who got replaced by younger/cheaper and we find ourselves another Mercilus.

Little more nervous about 3rd S/Dime DB though.

Who is the inspiring name that is a FA?

Hoping a vet to be cut that chooses GB over another team is a poor plan.

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

Who is the inspiring name that is a FA?

Hoping a vet to be cut that chooses GB over another team is a poor plan.

Don't need anyone to be cut.

JPP, Barr, Houston, Flowers, Dunlap, Mayowa is a pretty solid group of guys to ask to play a 35% snap count and focus on rushing the QB.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Brat&Beer said:

I'm guessing  Craig  meant Wyatt. Wyatt will likely have  a lot to learn as the Guards he faces in the NFL are so much better than what he faced in college, even in the SEC. Kenny Clark was pretty quiet his rookie year until pretty late. 

Hope they don't over-complicate it for Wyatt this season. Just let him penetrate and get after the QB. 

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Don't need anyone to be cut.

JPP, Barr, Houston, Flowers, Dunlap, Mayowa is a pretty solid group of guys to ask to play a 35% snap count and focus on rushing the QB.

Cursory look at these.  2021

Mayowa -- 6 QB pressures on 509 snaps

Flowers -- 7 QB pressures on 304 snaps

Houston -- 24 QB pressures on 579 snaps

Dunlap -- 21 QB pressures on 481 snaps

Barr -- 10 QB pressures on 784 snaps

JPP -- 14 QB pressures on 601 snaps

Lowry -- 16 QB pressures on 674 snaps

Garvin -- 11 QB pressures on 395 snaps

Not sure some of those players are upgrades on Lowry and Garvin

• Like 2

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

Cursory look at these.  2021

Mayowa -- 6 QB pressures on 509 snaps

Flowers -- 7 QB pressures on 304 snaps

Houston -- 24 QB pressures on 579 snaps

Dunlap -- 21 QB pressures on 481 snaps

Barr -- 10 QB pressures on 784 snaps

JPP -- 14 QB pressures on 601 snaps

Lowry -- 16 QB pressures on 674 snaps

Garvin -- 11 QB pressures on 395 snaps

Not sure some of those players are upgrades on Lowry and Garvin

How did Mercilus look before coming here? Playing a starters snap count versus coming in on subpackage downs as a 30+ year old is a whole different ball game.

Lowry isn't an edge player, not sure why you have him in there. No way in hell his trex arms are winning against OTs. He's a DL. 

Garvin is not good, there's a reason they snatched up Mercilus when given the chance. 

• Like 1

Agree, squire.  Usually an available vet won't be all that good, otherwise they'd not be getting cut.  (Or be hanging out un-signed.)  And usually an available vet would make only a modest impact on the edges of good-or-bad.  

I do feel like health for Gary/Preston will be pretty crucial.  

I wonder:

1. How usage and snaps shake out among Garvin-Tipa-Ramsey-Keke-Hamilton-Anderson.  
  2. Garvin played 37% of snaps.  Tipa 14%; Mercilus 10%; Hamilton 6%; Anderson 5%. 
  3. So basically Preston/Gary both played ~2/3, ~64%.  Garvin picked up the other ~1/3; but the last ~1/3 was really split up over a bunch of guys.  
  4. My recall is that Barry would often have BOTH Gary-Preston playing at once, then rest both of them at once.  I wonder if resting one at a time will happen more?  
  5. I wonder if Barry might call more snaps without two official OLB?  For the "other ~1/3", might some of those get picked up by d-linemen (Wyatt?) or ILB (Walker?), etc.?  

11 hours ago, Brat&Beer said:

Wyatt is drafted at age 24. Clark was 20. Right now Clark is 26. Wyatt is 24. 

Elgton Jenkins came in as an older rookie big guy from the SEC and played well. Jeffrey Simmons came from the SEC coming off an ACL and played well right away when he got his chance as a rookie. 

I’m betting on Wyatt being good right away.