Saints sign WR Jarvis Landry to 1 year deal

ACO

16 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Stop.

So it’s okay from one and not the other? Got it. You do realize all I did was post a laughing emoji and the bag heads got bent out of shape. I’m not backing down from someone cause their widdle feewings got hurt over a message board comment.

I’m fine to respect your decision but this needs to go both ways. 

51 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

He catches a ton of short passes. That’s what slot WRs do. Welker and Edelman were no different. Nobody is arguing he’s an elite WR1 right now. But he can be an exceptional slot WR, and at $3 million that can go up to $6 million with incentives…it’s not going to be hard for him to be a better value than the majority of the other FA WRs.

Edelman is a better comparison than Welker, Landry doesn't have Welker's quickness. Landry is pretty much a receiving back who plays WR. He's a tough tackle, good runner but doesn't have the speed or quickness to beat a corner. Against a LB he will win a lot.

2 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

He catches a ton of short passes. That’s what slot WRs do. Welker and Edelman were no different. Nobody is arguing he’s an elite WR1 right now. But he can be an exceptional slot WR, and at $3 million that can go up to $6 million with incentives…it’s not going to be hard for him to be a better value than the majority of the other FA WRs.

Edelman was a Y, but do you boo

5 hours ago, NYRaider said:

People feel very strongly about Landry...

Lol. It’s like this is two threads…one with people discussing if Landry was a good signing for the Saints, and another with people trying to die on a hill about putting an asterisk next to Landry’s pro bowls. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

Lol. It’s like this is two threads…one with people discussing if Landry was a good signing for the Saints, and another with people trying to die on a hill about putting an asterisk next to Landry’s pro bowls. 

Ah I see. I like the move for the Saints, especially at the price. Adding Thomas, Landry, and Olave to their WR room should make them so much better.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, iloxygenil said:

So it’s okay from one and not the other? Got it. You do realize all I did was post a laughing emoji and the bag heads got bent out of shape. I’m not backing down from someone cause their widdle feewings got hurt over a message board comment.

I’m fine to respect your decision but this needs to go both ways. 

Stop or you will get an official warning.

You're the one that instigated the encounter, you're the one that crossed the line, you're the one that went beyond discussing football. If you have any further questions about forum administration, you can PM myself, Webby, or another mod.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Stop or you will get an official warning.

You're the one that instigated the encounter, you're the one that crossed the line, you're the one that went beyond discussing football. If you have any further questions about forum administration, you can PM myself, Webby, or another mod.

Sure.

• Like 2

On 5/13/2022 at 10:13 PM, FalconFan13 said:

I don't think people understand how good he really is when it comes to calling a offense.  When Sean had to go away from the team and Pete took over the entire play calling duties.  The saints were not only as good as when sean was there but i would argue it was in the top 3 offensive seasons the entire time Sean was there.   Pete Carmichael was one of the main guys i was hoping the Falcons would look to hire as a HC when we picked up Arthur Smith which im ok with as well i like AS.   But i think Fontenot coming from NO and Carmichael working under him again would have been a very good pairing as well to continue their schemes here.

Pete doesn’t want to be a HC anymore, but I have to think he’s looking at this season and maybe next as icing on the cake. If he can continue Winston’s progress and we don’t see a step back, but a better offense than last year with the weapons we have now. That will really be a nice way to finish out his career.

Its cool how Landry can't read defenses and can't run and can't get separation...

Yet he's put up 7598 yards receiving with 37 TDs and has been to 5 pro bowls.

All those fast guys who get separation must really suck at football.

I also like how Waddle has Landry-ish numbers (volume and ypc) and he's a breakout star rookie with incredible speed and quickness.

39 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

Its cool how Landry can't read defenses and can't run and can't get separation...

Yet he's put up 7598 yards receiving with 37 TDs and has been to 5 pro bowls.

All those fast guys who get separation must really suck at football.

I also like how Waddle has Landry-ish numbers (volume and ypc) and he's a breakout star rookie with incredible speed and quickness.

The general football public has a very very weird misunderstanding about who Jarvis Landry is and what Jarvis Landry does on a football field. He has been in the league for 8 years and vast majority still dont even know what position he plays.

He is a slot WR, he has always been a slot WR, he even played slot a bunch back in MIA. He has great great route running, quick feet, can create separation well in short area and (typically) has great hands. He is not a outside WR, he doesnt beat people deep, he is not straight line fast.

He makes his money being a reliable chain mover who excels getting open over the middle of the field and is fearless going over the middle.

50 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

While I love Landry, they aren't really comparable players, dude. Also I wouldn't really call their rookie stats similar, either. While both were the Dolphins' premiere receiver in their rookie year, Landry had 20 fewer receptions, almost 250 fewer yards, and 0.8 yards per reception less... all while being in a offense not quite as horrifically limited by inept OL play.

Skillset-wise, Landry lacks the blazing speed of Waddle (on the contrary, he had the worst 40-yard dash time of any receiver at his combine), but is definitely a good route-runner, smart, and quick. It's a shame he has such physical limitations.

They're two different players though. Landry excels in the slot, Waddle is more of a homerun threat who just so happens to also be a great route-runner.

13 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

1) Catching a ton of short passes often mitigates itself in the yards / target metric because receiver catches a higher percentage of balls. Really low yards/target is result of really poor yards per catch, a really low catch rate, or some combination therein.

2) When Wes Welker was in New England, he averaged 8.1 yards / target (vs. Landry's 7.5 and 7.3 in Cleveland and Miami, respectively). The only year he was close to the seasons I mentioned for Landry (2010 - 6.9 yds/tgt) he shouldn't have made the probowl either

3) Julian Edelman never made the probowl, so not particularly relevant

Jarvis Landry is/was a good player and his current contract is fine - no argument from me there. That doesn't change the fact that the numbers for 3/5 of his probowl years are really poor for PB receiver standards. Both things can be true.

Landry ran a 4.51 at his LSU pro day. The 4.77 at the combine is meaningless.

You hold a receiver to his fastest time, not the one that is convenient for you.

Waddle ran a -.-- at the combine and a -.-- at his pro day. This was the worst time at both events.

Sure, a guess at 4.37 is faster than 4.51 that but its not blazing by NFL WR standards. (15 guys were faster at the 2022 combine and 31 were sub 4.4)

Landry is plenty fast and plenty good. Its a great pickup by New Orleans.

AJ Brown was a 4.49 (or 4.50) at the combine for example

Waddle did have the 7th fastest mph on a run this year (21.8mph) but 4.39 Jonathan Taylor had the 1, 4, and 5 on that list and 6 was 4.54 Derrick Henry

4.52 Melvin Gordon was 16th at 21.52

4.29 Tyreek Hill was 19th on the list. He's faster than everyone above him.

Week 15 of 2016 Jarvis Landry went 20.99 mph on a 66 yard TD reception. Maybe he borrowed someone else's legs?

20 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

Landry ran a 4.51 at his LSU pro day. The 4.77 at the combine is meaningless.

You hold a receiver to his fastest time, not the one that is convenient for you.

Waddle ran a -.-- at the combine and a -.-- at his pro day. This was the worst time at both events.

Sure, a guess at 4.37 is faster than 4.51 that but its not blazing by NFL WR standards. (15 guys were faster at the 2022 combine and 31 were sub 4.4)

Landry is plenty fast and plenty good. Its a great pickup by New Orleans.

AJ Brown was a 4.49 (or 4.50) at the combine for example

Waddle did have the 7th fastest mph on a run this year (21.8mph) but 4.39 Jonathan Taylor had the 1, 4, and 5 on that list and 6 was 4.54 Derrick Henry

4.52 Melvin Gordon was 16th at 21.52

4.29 Tyreek Hill was 19th on the list. He's faster than everyone above him.

Week 15 of 2016 Jarvis Landry went 20.99 mph on a 66 yard TD reception. Maybe he borrowed someone else's legs?

With respect I've watched plenty of Jarvis Landry and my assessment is mostly based on his play - I'm aware he played faster than his combine 40 time would indicate, at least early in his career. Waddle is the by far faster player though - not just now, but also with respect to prime speed. I'm not sure why you're bringing up other guys of other positions, here, or A.J. Brown (I wouldn't consider speed to be a major part of Brown's game either, but that has nothing to do with either Waddle or Landry).

2016 was six years ago. He didn't play anywhere near as fast most of the time that year, and his speed has only declined since then.

I do not say this to say this is a bad signing for the Saints and I think very highly of Landry - he was likely my favorite player on the team while he was with the Dolphins, in fact, and I still consider him one of the best slot WRs in the NFL (if not the best). Rather, I was disputing your comparison of him and Waddle.

• Like 2