Saints sign WR Jarvis Landry to 1 year deal

ACO

16 hours ago, NYRaider said:

People feel very strongly about Landry...

Especially when you compare it to the Emmanuel Sanders thread from two years ago as well as the insane WR market of present day. 

Saints bring in 33 year old Emmanuel Sanders at $9-9.5m per year on a 2 year deal, its widely praised as a good move.

Saints bring in 29 years old Jarvis Landry at $3-6m on a one year deal, and people come talk about how overrated Landry actually is. 

Sanders two seasons leading up to his $18m deal - 1700 yards and 9 TDs
Sanders three seasons leading up to his $18m deal - 2300 yards and 11 TDs

Landry's two seasons leading up to his $3m deal - 1400 yards and 5TDs.
Landry's three seasons leading up to his $3m deal - 2600 yards and 11 TDs

It doesn't add up. 

Edited by Dome

5 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

The general football public has a very very weird misunderstanding about who Jarvis Landry is and what Jarvis Landry does on a football field. He has been in the league for 8 years and vast majority still dont even know what position he plays.

He is a slot WR, he has always been a slot WR, he even played slot a bunch back in MIA. He has great great route running, quick feet, can create separation well in short area and (typically) has great hands. He is not a outside WR, he doesnt beat people deep, he is not straight line fast.

He makes his money being a reliable chain mover who excels getting open over the middle of the field and is fearless going over the middle.

He doesn't get open vs man coverage he is good vs zone, his hands are up and down. 

He plays with reckless abandon and the injruies have piled up, knee and hip.

10 hours ago, Dome said:

Pete doesn’t want to be a HC anymore, but I have to think he’s looking at this season and maybe next as icing on the cake. If he can continue Winston’s progress and we don’t see a step back, but a better offense than last year with the weapons we have now. That will really be a nice way to finish out his career.

Thats a shame about Pete not wanting to be a HC anymore because imo he damn sure deserved to be one long before this or atleast get the chance to if he ever wanted to be. I think the Saints have a good chance of being a top 10 to 15 offense this year in both YPG and PPG.   The Falcons sadly have 1 more year and offseason before we get back on track and legit competing again i think.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

He doesn't get open vs man coverage he is good vs zone, his hands are up and down. 

He plays with reckless abandon and the injruies have piled up, knee and hip.

I dont know where that comes from. In 4 years of watching Jarvis play the last thing I ever thought was how he was struggling to get open

• Like 2

People treat Pro Bowl like it’s a crowning achievement. Fan voting does matter, and the truth is that fans of the Dolphins and Browns generally love him. He works hard, great energy and leadership, splits defenders in half. Lots of stuff that doesn’t translate to stats but weighs heavily in minds of fans and other players. 

16 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I dont know where that comes from. In 4 years of watching Jarvis play the last thing I ever thought was how he was struggling to get open

All the analytic reports I read said he was bad vs man. 

He was great at finding gaps in zone

7 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

People treat Pro Bowl like it’s a crowning achievement. Fan voting does matter, and the truth is that fans of the Dolphins and Browns generally love him. He works hard, great energy and leadership, splits defenders in half. Lots of stuff that doesn’t translate to stats but weighs heavily in minds of fans and other players. 

He made a pro bowl with less than 1k recieving, without 100 catches or 10 touchdowns.

4 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

3M cap hit for 2022 is the 63rd highest among all WRs as of now per OTC.

He's not some scrub but he's getting paid like one.... so overrated or not this is a great deal for a player of his caliber. 

Exactly, can't believe some people are so salty over this signing. As a Saints fan I'm very pleased with this.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

He struggled to get open vs. corners. He doesn't have the athleticism to separate. He gets a lot of matchups vs. LBs and safeties though and can beat those guys.

He is worth less than what he was signed for with the Browns but more than he signed for with the Saints.

21 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

He struggled to get open vs. corners. He doesn't have the athleticism to separate. He gets a lot of matchups vs. LBs and safeties though and can beat those guys.

He is worth less than what he was signed for with the Browns but more than he signed for with the Saints.

Last year, yeah he wasnt his best but a lot of that could be chalked up to his injury(s). The previous 3 I never saw a issue. Maybe thats just me, I dont know

He signed a 1.1M base with NO lol You cant possibly get cheaper than that for a WR of his caliber. I understand 14M was probably a overpay (though IDK anymore with the money WRs are getting this year) but I thought there is no way he is worth any less than 7-9M.

Edited by AkronsWitness

39 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Last year, yeah he wasnt his best but a lot of that could be chalked up to his injury(s). The previous 3 I never saw a issue. Maybe thats just me, I dont know

He signed a 1.1M base with NO lol You cant possibly get cheaper than that for a WR of his caliber. I understand 14M was probably a overpay (though IDK anymore with the money WRs are getting this year) but I thought there is no way he is worth any less than 7-9M.

Yeah I thought he'd get at least 8. He's a role player and there is nothing wrong with that. He'll earn his paycheck and likely get more next year.