The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

Same. Hard to mess this up entirely. Gonzalez at 7 or Richardson at 3. No more Gruden mess ups. 

I think getting a DE in the 1st would help the pass defense more. If Maxx can get help he'll get 15+ sacks. Plus the Raiders will save a ton of money by cutting Jones next year.

16 minutes ago, Devilshark69 said:

IMO THIS IS A BAD YEAR TO TRADE UP OR FORCE THE QB PICK. 

The QB class always looks better next year. It's one of the most common themes with football fans (This is one of the few times I think it will actually play out like that). But again we'd have to hit the lottery of lotteries to actually be in position to select QB 1/2.

I am happy to move up for one of the top 3 QBs and finally have the prospect of a franchise QB rather than continue ignoring the most important position + maybe having a 5% chance of getting Drake or Caleb.

At some point we have to go all-in on QB over praying the perfect prospect falls in our laps.

5 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Pretty spicy if you ask me. Accurate, poise. That's more action in the red zone than I saw the last 9 years.

Doesn't have a rifle, but accurate and carves up the middle of the field. Carr had a big arm, but his deep ball floated like crazy. 

I agree though. Would like to see a more dynamic player at the QB spot. With Richardson at least you know you're hitting gold on his legs. 

Maybe I am low on Jimmy but his "biggest plays" are YAC/coverage busts. He is a little better in the RZ but he's a non-factor on anything past 10-15 yards.

Pray that I am right. If we pick top 5 after another jimmy injury, we will get Williams/Maye after Ziegler builds up the defense with 12 picks.

8 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

I think getting a DE in the 1st would help the pass defense more. If Maxx can get help he'll get 15+ sacks. Plus the Raiders will save a ton of money by cutting Jones next year.

I think Gonzalez is a lot better than Tyree and Smith though, like a decent gap. I do agree edge is more important.. but I’ll take the potential star CB. 

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I was among the first to go all in on Richardson, so it's good to see you all come around. 

Couple things.... are we sure he's the 3rd QB taken? I could easily see Carolina or Houston betting on him. All of these QBs have flaws, maybe they want the guy with the most upside. 

Which brings me to my next point.... All the QBs have flaws, so trading up for one feels forced. If you are trading up to #3 overall, you can't have any doubt on the QB. 

I would not trade up and I love Richardson. I'm not trading up unless I have a Lawrence/Burrow level guy available. 

My draft flow chart:

Did QB fall to 7(?):

• Yes -Invest in QB
  • No -Did the run on QBs push down Anderson to #7(?):
    • Yes - Draft Anderson
    • No - Trade Pick

Richardon/Anderson at 7 of I'm stacking as much resources as possible. Going defense heavy in the top 100. Then I'm taking all my ammo (talking Ricky Williams level scorched earth approach here..... I don't care) and going to get Drake Maye in 2024

*subject to Drake Maye staying the man. 

Don’t you mean “The Mayne”? 😂😂😂

it's

Carter, Gonzalez, Richardson, or Murphy for me.

I wouldn't be mad at a trade up to 3 for Richardson. I probably would just stay at 7. I think Murphy has so much potential and not talked about enough. He is huge, freak athlete, 5 star out of high school and good in college, explosive off the ball,  he's the most athletic player besides Nolan Smith. He just turned 21 too. Maxx and Murphy would be Mahomes worst nightmare. Carter would be so nice but there's red flags. Draft Murphy and then trade up in the 20s for Breese/Klancy would make our defense line a strength. Our CBs would look better with a stud on DL. Draft LBs in the mid rounds. We could be on to turning around the defense.  

When the consensus “logic” is to trade multiple 1sts (and maybe other day 2 picks) for a crap shoot risk QB prospect in Richardson OR ELSE we won’t get our QBotF for many years…. Thats when you know it’s time to step away and reassess the situation.  

2024 isn’t just Williams and Maye… there could be Quinn Ewers, there’s Michael Penix and whoever steps up.  Also, QBs can be acquired via trade too.  

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

When the consensus “logic” is to trade multiple 1sts (and maybe other day 2 picks) for a crap shoot risk QB prospect in Richardson OR ELSE we won’t get our QBotF for many years…. Thats when you know it’s time to step away and reassess the situation.  

2024 isn’t just Williams and Maye… there could be Quinn Ewers, there’s Michael Penix and whoever steps up.  Also, QBs can be acquired via trade too.  

Agree.... my guess is the 2024 class, we come away thinking 3-4 guys rank higher than this current class. 

If this league wasn't driven by QBs, are any of these guys blue chip QBs who should be top 5 picks? I don't think so personally. 

I will say, had Richardson stayed.... his case may have been made. But that UF offense and coach suck.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

There’s a chance Stroud goes #1 and Texans pass on a QB. Stroud and Richardson  could both be available at #3

There is absolutely no way the Texans pass on a QB. They’ve needed a QB since 2020. If the Raiders can’t punt the QB position with one of the top four available there’s no way they could do that with 3 of the top 4. Fans would riot worse that when they passed on Bush. 

6 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Agree.... my guess is the 2024 class, we come away thinking 3-4 guys rank higher than this current class. 

If this league wasn't driven by QBs, are any of these guys blue chip QBs who should be top 5 picks? I don't think so personally. 

I will say, had Richardson stayed.... his case may have been made. But that UF offense and coach suck.

They really are in the cycle of suck down in Gainesville right now. I don’t know what Strickland is doing but they probably need to fire that guy ASAP and revamp that whole athletics department. 

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Again I have been very vocal about supporting trading up or trading down. I'm fine selecting #7 too. 

I just have an issue with people penciling us in for the Drake/Caleb sweepstakes + saying we should avoid QB all together when the majority of front offices will move mountains to get one of them. Just think, if we're picking #1 and someone offered us 3 first and 3 seconds to move far down and avoid Maye/Williams, would you? 

100% depends on your quarterback situation. A lot of teams would at least consider the picks. 

49 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Pretty spicy if you ask me. Accurate, poise. That's more action in the red zone than I saw the last 9 years.

Doesn't have a rifle, but accurate and carves up the middle of the field. Carr had a big arm, but his deep ball floated like crazy. 

I agree though. Would like to see a more dynamic player at the QB spot. With Richardson at least you know you're hitting gold on his legs. 

Just take the guy who can run and is a more accurate passer named Hooker

• Like 1