The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

2 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Ehhh not sure I can totally get behind this take much. Both Gonzalez and Spoon are very nice tackling CBs. I think they both hold up extremely well vs. the run (Just look how good Hobbs is at tackling and what an enormous impact that has had for us). Not to mention we have lacked any sort of playmaking ability/generating turnovers from our CBs for ages. A turnover generator at CB would make those enormously impactful plays you are looking for. Not to mention finally having good coverage at CB would help Maxx and co largely.

We can't keep ignoring the need at CB ino. We swung and missed on Hayden and Arnette, but the big 2 CBs this year are >>>>>.

I hope we can land a QB/Carter/Anderson but if they are gone I am 100% down for CB at 7 personally.

I'm not saying ignore CB, just saying I don't feel the value exists at pick 7.

I agree that turning the ball over is key and something we should focus on. The easiest way, IMO, to generate TOs is to get to the QB. Getting pressure makes average CBs look much better and good CBs look great. Their jobs are substantially easier. We have a dominant presence in Crosby on one side and we should be looking to pair him w/ other dominant rushers. We won't beat Mahomes and Herbert by hoping our guys can cover their WRs for more than 5 seconds. It simply will not happen. Not one CB in the league can do that on a consistent basis. We need to get to them fast and frequently in order to beat them.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I agree that turning the ball over is key and something we should focus on. The easiest way, IMO, to generate TOs is to get to the QB. Getting pressure makes average CBs look much better and good CBs look great. Their jobs are substantially easier. We have a dominant presence in Crosby on one side and we should be looking to pair him w/ other dominant rushers. We won't beat Mahomes and Herbert by hoping our guys can cover their WRs for more than 5 seconds. It simply will not happen. Not one CB in the league can do that on a consistent basis. We need to get to them fast and frequently in order to beat them.

this

• Like 1

I don’t see them investing a top pick on a tackle. They haven’t really invested anything in either offseasons on the spot. I think they’re satisfied with the coaches and players. If they’re looking at QBs who are all pretty mobile I can see them devaluing the spot. As for CB it’s clear that they want to upgrade the defense in the draft along side QB. They have pretty good number 2s and slot guys so adding a guy who can be a number one In Gonzalez or Witherspoon could pay major dividends. Crosby leads the NFL in pressures, better coverage could convert those to sacks.

They’ve brought in the second most QBs for 30 visits out of all the other teams in the NFL. I think it’s safe to say they’re going to be looking real hard at the position. I’m hoping they trade up for Stroud because he’s been my number one for the Raiders. But the price needs to be right. 1,2 and maybe next years 2 and 4th or something. Also it’d make draft night way more dramatic. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I really want Myles Murphy. I feel like he is flying under the radar, and won't make it past the Eagles at 10. He is going be what Ferrell was meant to be, and could have an Micah Parsons type of impact on the defense. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

I really want Myles Murphy. I feel like he is flying under the radar, and won't make it past the Eagles at 10. He is going be what Ferrell was meant to be, and could have an Micah Parsons type of impact on the defense. 

I’m a huge Murphy fan, so you know I’m on board. 

20 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

I wouldn't hate this although I feel like 7 is too high. If we can't move back, basically anyone on the DL will be good w/ me

2 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Agreed. We don't need another Ferrell. 

I don’t think comparison is accurate. Wilson is so much more athletically gifted. His weakness is his slow get off. Ferrell actually had a good get off in college, frequently using his timing to get an advantage over the tackle. 

It’s actually the opposite of Ferrell as Wilson’s pressure stats - including the speed in which he gets to the QB are in the top bracket across the board - in spite of how ridiculously slow his get off is. I think once Ferrell’s timing trick was exposed, he had no moves or athleticism to rely on.

Now Wilson is clearly a risk - but I actually think that he has a decent floor as he will just fall into production with how much of a physical freak he is - particularly his length. And his upside is if can fix that slow get off and develop a pass rush plan - and that’s more upside than Ferrell ever had imo.