The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, OldManWillis said:

I'm sick of how season after season the defense is ignored

It's not been ignored. It's been mis-managed.

The past regimes dedicated countless draft picks on defense and hit on 2 (Mack and Crosby). You can't strike out that often and expect to have a good defense. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

If we did exactly as you said, all D and a couple OL, I will thoroughly enjoy that as well. It certainly won't happen though, unfortunately. 

Knowing our team it'll be Skoronski to play RG and then we'll draft a RB, WR, TE, and backup LT.  With a couple of late picks for DT and SS.  Zigzag and McDonald's will meet the press to say that BPA played a huge part in how things came together.  They're really looking forward to their RB committee and WR depth.  They know there new SS and DT will provide an immediate impact.  Combined our draft will have a total of 37 snaps played on offense/defense but they'll all be considered special team standouts.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

The past regimes dedicated countless draft picks on defense and hit on 2 (Mack and Crosby). You can't strike out that often and expect to have a good defense. 

Day 1-2 picks 2015-2022:  Arnette, Mullen, Moehrig, Koonce, Deablo, Tanner Muse, C. Ferrell, Abram, PJ Hall, Arden Key, Melifonwu, Vanderdoes, K. Joseph, Jihad Ward, Shilique Calhoun, Mario Edwards.  

So 3 players left out of the 16 that we drafted in the first three rounds between 2015-2022 and all of them are recent picks on rookie contracts.  We have not done well in the draft.

7 minutes ago, jpaulthe1st said:

Christian Gonzalez may be the most fluid 6’+ CB I’ve ever seen. I would be very happy if we walked away from the Draft with him as our top pick. 

I'd be happy with

Witherspoon/Porter/Banks/Gonzalez

FAU

Jack Campbell 

Mazi Smith

But we don't have enough picks.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Day 1-2 picks 2015-2022:  Arnette, Mullen, Moehrig, Koonce, Deablo, Tanner Muse, C. Ferrell, Abram, PJ Hall, Arden Key, Melifonwu, Vanderdoes, K. Joseph, Jihad Ward, Shilique Calhoun, Mario Edwards.  

So 3 players left out of the 16 that we drafted in the first three rounds between 2015-2022 and all of them are recent picks on rookie contracts.  We have not done well in the draft.

That's what he said.

Will Levis is not going #1 lol. Vegas just trying to make people bet on it and getting some money by making his odds shift. No way Levi goes Top 3. Texans are going Stroud or Wilson (I believe the smoke they have Wilson ranked higher than Anderson). I do think the Colts love Levis though and he's probably the 4th pick. If Levis gets past #4, I think he freefalls to the 20's to be honest. I think the Colts are the only team in love with him. Just like 2019 the Giants were the only team in love with Daniel Jones. And Kyler, just the Cardinals and Raiders. If both Arizona and Oakland passed on Kyler, he would have fallen to the teens. 

16 minutes ago, jpaulthe1st said:

Christian Gonzalez may be the most fluid 6’+ CB I’ve ever seen. I would be very happy if we walked away from the Draft with him as our top pick. 

Agreed. I'd be STOKED with Gonzalez at 7. His fluidly and hips are the best I've seen in quite some time.

Just like the rest of you, I use to be "aggression aggression aggression" mindset (cough cough Witherspoon) but the NFL has changed. Technicians are taking over the game. A little Mike Haynes in Gonzalez game, he is a true technician along with 4.3 speed and fluid as water. 

I'm also a big fan of Banks who is a mix of both, technician and aggression. Also has 4.3 speed and great size. Banks is my #2 corner in this class. Gonzalez my #1. Although I have all four pretty damn close. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

You're right, Mis-managed is what this defense has been for years. Here's to hoping Zeigler breaks the pattern and drafts some damn good defensive players!

• Like 2

Just a little over 48 hours gentlemen. I'm super pumped. Coming away with Richardson, Stroud, Anderson, Gonzalez, Carter, or Wilson would all be huge wins in my eyes. I also like Van Ness a lot and think he is going way higher than people think. Possibly Top 10. I'm sure people would scream "reach" but I would be fine with Van Ness at 7 if those six players I just mentioned are off the board. 

As for Paris Johnson, I'd be pretty underwhelmed with the pick, although I wouldn't exactly hate it. Add an OG in the 3rd along with Paris and you've basically built a Top 5 OL if they all develop. But another year or two of trash defense and no successor behind Jimmy G, which are both more important than OL IMO. 

As for Skoronski, I'd hate it at 7. Really would be pissed off. Trade down to at least 11 if you want Skoronski. He's a OG for crying out loud. Same reason I didn't want Alijah Vera Tucker... Guards shouldn't go in the Top 15 IMO. No matter how good they are. 

Here's hoping we get an excellent player or excellent developmental player. Hope you all have a great draft day. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

The problem is we always reach for people. Ferrell, Hayden, etc. Seems like Mack was the only time we actually went with BPA on defense. If my defense sucked year after year, it would be a no brainer to go BPA on defense every single time with my 1st round pick.

• Like 1

Will Anderson falling to 7 has become such a huge possibility. I don't want to get you guys too excited.... but open your mind up that it COULD happen. Wilson is going before Anderson in all likelihood, the odds have been juiced up for weeks in Vegas of that happening. I also think Seattle will go Richardson if he is there, regardless what the odds say. 

What I think personally happens on draft day:

1. Panthers - Bryce Young

2. Texans - CJ Stroud

3. Cardinals - Tyree Wilson

4. Colts - Will Levis

5. Seahawks - Anthony Richardson

6. Lions - Will Anderson Jr.

However, there have been rumors for weeks Lions love Devon Witherspoon and he is the pick. Witherspoon is the -135 favorite to go pick #6 to Detroit. Lions could pick Witherspoon with Anderson on the board, meaning Anderson comes to the Silver and Black. Anderson and Crosby.. wow. Best (potentially) pass rushing duo in the NFL. I'd be super excited. And we should all be thrilled. 

With that said. I don't agree with Vegas. If Will Anderson and Devon Witherspoon are both on the board, I think the Lions select Will Anderson Jr. 

• Like 1