The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

8 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

AR-15, Carter, Myles Murphy, or Gonzalez. One of those 4

I think Carter will help his team out more than any other person. With pressure of the middle will see Maxx’s true potential. This D-line could have 35+ sacks

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Changing opinions as more happens is not flip flopping. I liked Stroud as someone who could come in and start. That was before Jimmy G was signed. I think Stroud has a low ceiling and high floor. 

I also don't like the rumors (smoke or not) of his testing and him being difficult to coach at times. 

And I still maintain the QB class in 2024 is better.  

You compared him to Joe Burrow earlier in the off-season. 

14 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Jimmy also doesn’t stay healthy. I think Stroud is perfect for a quick release offense that relies on timing and accuracy which just happens to be what McDaniels offense is about. 

Easy to say next year QB when you’re not guaranteed to even pick in the top 10 next year. Williams and Maye are both great prospects but the drop from them to what would be after them is huge. The others are not starting NFL QBs. 

If you don’t have a QB of the future and you’re picking in the top 10 and you’re high on a QB you should be going after that QB. It’s why I think Seattle would be dumb to not pick a QB and bank of Geno having another good season same with the Raiders

I agree. I think Stroud would be a good system fit. Culture fit, I question. Can he take to hard coaching and accountability?

There are several guys outside Maye and Williams that have serious potential in 2024. Mind you those 2 would go one two in this class. To say the others are not starting NFL QBs is wild.

I wouldn't be mad at it, but I just feel Stroud is going to be average at the next level.

And serious questions nobody is asking.... wouldn't the fact Houston passed on him raise some flags? If he falls to 7, that means Houston, Indy, Seattle all passed on him.... that sets of some alarms for me. 

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

I agree. I think Stroud would be a good system fit. Culture fit, I question. Can he take to hard coaching and accountability?

There are several guys outside Maye and Williams that have serious potential in 2024. Mind you those 2 would go one two in this class. To say the others are not starting NFL QBs is wild.

I wouldn't be mad at it, but I just feel Stroud is going to be average at the next level.

And serious questions nobody is asking.... wouldn't the fact Houston passed on him raise some flags? If he falls to 7, that means Houston, Indy, Seattle all passed on him.... that sets of some alarms for me. 

Just to play with this a bit...

How many team passed on Mahomes and Watson?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rolni said:

It's a bit nitpicky, but neither was ever considered for 1.1. and actually fell. They were considered 1st rounders, not potential 1st overall. 

Stroud was. A drop beyond that many teams that need a QBOTF would raise a ton of flags. 

Edited by ronjon1990
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I get what you are saying and I have said that myself about small prospects in the past. But it's not like he hasn't had elite weight rooms/nutritionists at Mississippi St. Certainly not NFL level but it's not like he's eating grilled cheese and ramen 24/7.

If he put on 20 lbs of muscle he's still be on the very small side at 185. I wonder how much of what makes him so good is how nimble he is and if he infact put on a massive amount of weight, if he'd be anything close to the same player. 

My thing with Forbes is he played a lot bigger than his weight. He takes on blocks, tackles well and doesn't shy away from contact on contested catches. Kid is a playmaker... wouldn't overthink it. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

It's a bit nitpicky, but neither was ever considered for 1.1. and actually fell. They were considered 1st rounders, not potential 1st overall. 

Stroud was. A drop beyond that many teams that need a QBOTF would raise a ton of flags. 

True

4 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Or they’d both dramatically underwhelm.

Mazi, for all his undoubted athleticism and amazing speed doesn’t actually finish or create that much IMO, looks like he has little technique and Dexter plays high and his leverage is very questionable plus he does seem to underwhelm for someone who should be dominating. 

Now, Benton and Adebawore or Kancey 😃

This, I don’t really get the Smith/Carter love especially as 2nd rounders. 

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

You compared him to Joe Burrow earlier in the off-season. 

In terms of accuracy and ball placement. I was high on him off the playoff game against Georgia. More I've watched, I see a guy who is a sum of his parts. Don't see him create much or really having to. 

In February.... I'd take him #1 overall, sure. Now, I'd pass. That is the nature of the draft. More comes out, you see more and positions on players change. Why is that a bad thing? People here act like everything has to be black and white and you have to hold your convictions. Things are always fluid.  

And heck..... maybe I'm overthinking it at this stage as the process drags on. But if 2 very QB needy teams in the same division pass on him.... do you feel good about that?

39 minutes ago, Rolni said:

Fair point. I looks at guys like them similar to Richardson and Levis. A lot of question marks, big upside athletically but big risk.

I also think the QB market has gone bonkers since then when you see guys like Zack Wilson going 2 overall, etc. Teams are desperate to find the next Mahomes, Allen. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

In terms of accuracy and ball placement. I was high on him off the playoff game against Georgia. More I've watched, I see a guy who is a sum of his parts. Don't see him create much or really having to. 

In February.... I'd take him #1 overall, sure. Now, I'd pass. That is the nature of the draft. More comes out, you see more and positions on players change. Why is that a bad thing? People here act like everything has to be black and white and you have to hold your convictions. Things are always fluid.  

And heck..... maybe I'm overthinking it at this stage as the process drags on. But if 2 very QB needy teams in the same division pass on him.... do you feel good about that?

Mahomes, Allen, and Herbert were all the third QBs off the board. 

As mentioned above, we've seen plenty of QBs go in round 1 at varying points, but usually they got 1st round grades, not potential 1st overall ones. All 4 of these guys have been jockeying for 1.1, 3 of them pretty seriously. If one falls out of the top 7-10 altogether before being selected, is it more likely that the team just saw them there and gambled because "why not?" rather than being a true believer? 

It's not like about 9 teams that need a QB aren't at least in position to make a move (looking at Washington and maybe Tampa). Anyone starting a free fall, there's gotta be some serious reservations, right? 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Mahomes, Allen, and Herbert were all the third QBs off the board. 

And none of them were considered #1 overall picks to start with. 

Stroud going from potential #1 to being passed over by Houston, Indy, Seattle would send up warning signs.