Clowney re-signs with Browns

Forge

12 hours ago, ReggieCamp said:

Clowney is and always has been a mercenary. No way he would turn down more money for one year, let alone two.

Please can you explain your definition of mercenary? 

I hear this word get (incorrectly) thrown around a lot by NFL fans about players, when it's very clearly NFL Owners/Team Management who are the mercenaries, not the players.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dome said:

Ehhh i suppose.. the money is almost irrelevant when talking about a one year deal signed after FA and the draft. This move isn’t going to prevent them from signing or re-signing anyone. 

Yeah, I agree, it was just a lot more than I expected. But I'm all up for teams to make actual use of their cap.

1 hour ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Please can you explain your definition of mercenary? 

I hear this word get (incorrectly) thrown around a lot by NFL fans about players, when it's very clearly NFL Owners/Team Management who are the mercenaries, not the players.

Can't speak for anyone else, but when I say that Clowney is a mercenary, I'm saying he takes the money over everything else.

Are the owners and everyone else in it for the money also? Of course.

Clowney in particular gets called a mercenary because he was on 4 different teams in 4 years.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, ReggieCamp said:

Can't speak for anyone else, but when I say that Clowney is a mercenary, I'm saying he takes the money over everything else.

Are the owners and everyone else in it for the money also? Of course.

Clowney in particular gets called a mercenary because he was on 4 different teams in 4 years.

I just think you're perhaps unaware of how the word is actually a pretty harsh insult and certainly a slight on a person's character.

In the context you're using, mercenary would mean a person is compromising their ethics to prioritise money - is that really the case for Clowney? Perhaps those who refuse to fulfil their current contract in search of a new one could be accused of it, but even then I wouldn't say that is particularly unethical given the risk these players take.

12 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I know you're making a joke, but there's a good amount of value in an EDGE who can defend the run well and pressure the QB, even if he only gets home 6-9 times per year.

If it was that valuable why has he been on 3 different teams in 3 years?

Dominant pass rushers don’t move around from team to team because of how valuable they are. 

Edited by CP3MVP

17 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Love to know Brandon Grahams numbers over his career with that stat?? He too creates lots of pressure, almost sacks the QB, great in the run game but rarely gets home. Except for the SB.

Like Clowney,  he too has never had Dbl digit sacks. Crazy

Leonard Williams was like that on the Jets. Outside of the outlier season of 2020 with the giants he’s basically gone back to that 

26 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

If it was that valuable why has he been on 3 different teams in 3 years?

Dominant pass rushers don’t move around from team to team because of how valuable they are. 

The talent is there and worst case scenario when healthy he’s been a dominant run defender and edge setter his whole career. Even last year 9 sacks in 14 games was solid. He’s never lived up to his hype coming out but he’s been very capable his whole career when healthy.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, SkippyX said:

Great, now you made me look at the 2014 draft and remember the Eagles took Marcus Smith at edge 8 picks before Demarcus Lawrence.

As a Falcons fan, how do you think I feel looking at that 2014 draft?

at 37 - Rashede Hageman - 16 picks later, Devante Adams was selected. 9 picks later, Stephon Tuitt was selected (who I wanted more)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Would that be considered worse then the Eagles selecting LJ "hands of stone" Smith 8 picks before Jason Witten? 👍👌

Honestly can't decide which is worse? lol

LJ fumbled in a 3 point SB loss. I will go with him.

I think people are forgetting Oliver Vernon when talking about the poster boy for getting a ton of pressures and with little sack production.

Vernon is a PFF darling and would grade out as a 98.7 every year but you watch him play and he gets like 6 sacks a year despite a pass rush win rate of 159%