Reports: Washington Commanders buy 200 acres in Woodbridge Virginia for potential stadium site

wackywabbit

1 hour ago, Ray Reed said:

Good, this state ain't big enough for the both of us, ya hear?

Sidenote: it's going to be absolutely whack in 30 years when every football stadium is domed. We don't need a domed stadium in Virginia lol give it some character and play in the open air.

They make them with retractable roofs now.  You get best of both worlds.  Open when its nice and closed when it is nasty or too cold.

59 minutes ago, Nex_Gen said:

They should change their name while they're at it..

Nah, Commies is a decent nickname. But thats maybe because I hate them.

As for the stadium, it would be swell if they built one that didnt spill feces on the fans mid game. Big upgrade.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

They make them with retractable roofs now.  You get best of both worlds.  Open when its nice and closed when it is nasty or too cold.

It's also about getting a SB or two at those locations in the future as well, especially for teams up north where snow may be an issue.

13 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

It's also about getting a SB or two at those locations in the future as well, especially for teams up north where snow may be an issue.

That is the dream.  I think it most will still end up going to warm climates as they travel better in Feb., but if you have good convention area, some tourist attractions and hotel space I don't see why not.

3 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Plus Wrestlemanias, big bowl games/CFB playoffs, soccer games, etc.  

Just about all of those events save some of the college games (but nothing bowl worthy) is coming to Fed Ex during the late fall/winter/early spring months due to volatile weather.  

20 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

"Domed" 

The renderings belong to Bjarke Ingels Group. Only of interest to any fellow architects, probably. But apparently they were hired some years ago now to work on their new stadium. Can't believe I missed that! Same architect that designed Google's new headquarters in CA.

Edited by eagles91

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

Mostly politics in DC. 

Mostly, but deep down I also think the team is only paying lip service to the RFK idea because they know the fans want it.

The tentative plans for the Woodbridge site make clear that they have designs on packaging the new stadium as the centerpiece of some sort of entire complex — indoor/outdoor music venues, restaurants/bars, high-end retail, luxury apartments, etc.

None of that is happening at RFK. There’s barely room for a bigger stadium, let alone the rest of that stuff. And let’s be honest, who is going to that area of the city for high-end retail or luxury living? I’m all for revitalization, but that’s a tough sell for investors I’d imagine. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Still a different vibe imo. The Falcons' is retractable but it always feels like I'm watching them play in a dark indoor stadium

On 5/24/2022 at 11:45 AM, Ray Reed said:

Good, this state ain't big enough for the both of us, ya hear?

Sidenote: it's going to be absolutely whack in 30 years when every football stadium is domed. We don't need a domed stadium in Virginia lol give it some character and play in the open air.

What this does is provide a home for the Superbowl to come to town. The landscape of DC helps the draw with other activities but the drawback is, that Woodbridge is not the ideal place to bring a Superbowl kind of event. 

4 hours ago, e16bball said:

Mostly, but deep down I also think the team is only paying lip service to the RFK idea because they know the fans want it.

The tentative plans for the Woodbridge site make clear that they have designs on packaging the new stadium as the centerpiece of some sort of entire complex — indoor/outdoor music venues, restaurants/bars, high-end retail, luxury apartments, etc.

None of that is happening at RFK. There’s barely room for a bigger stadium, let alone the rest of that stuff. And let’s be honest, who is going to that area of the city for high-end retail or luxury living? I’m all for revitalization, but that’s a tough sell for investors I’d imagine. 

If I remember, wasn't this the idea with Landover, which failed miserably. 

Woodbridge is not any better in terms of "developing" the area. 

Sterling had everything in place already, which, fiscally would make more sense with less cost for venues like ampitheatres, travel would be easy right next to the airport, and Dulles Town Center has all the high end shopping you need and plenty of room to expand along Route 50, which can take you to Tysons. And Jiffy Lube Live is right in Manassas which is the ampitheatre they could have advertised. 

This team really hates its own fans.