Official: Rob Walton to buy Broncos

BroncoBruin

Well, it is what it is. 

I’ll do my best to go in with an open mind and see how the next few months unfold.

The one positive that I can take, assuredly, and as I said in the other thread, is that an owner with deep pockets can be a very good thing. 

Lets see how things go from there. I am fascinated to see the media reaction, which should be hysterical given some of the reporters in this town. 

I am glad it's Walton. I detest Walmart, but having an owner with deep pockets is a massive advantage and we have the wealthiest owner in the league. Broncos fans as a whole (and Denver as a city) have been very lucky to have Bowlen all these years, but the reality of league ownership is so much different now than when Bowlen acquired the team. 

Bowlen was obviously rich at the time he bought the team, but the Broncos *made* him wealthy. That type of situation can't exist with team valuations the way they are. 

I'm excited to see what this era of ownership brings. There's some things to be skeptical of, but, IMO, more to be excited about.  

• Like 1

The Broncos sold for more money ($4.05B to $4.65B) than George Lucas got for the rights to the Star Wars empire.

Now I’m a Star Wars geek, I’ll admit it, but the fact that a football team - one of 32 in a single country - went for more than Star Wars, which is as global and as ubiquitous as it gets, really says something. I’d wager that Coach Hackett would agree. 

I read that little nugget in one of the stories that mentioned Mellody Hobson, who is part of the Walton ownership group, is married to Lucas. 

I swear, and I’m doing very well at 40, but these filthy rich people all run in the same circle. 

1 hour ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Out of interest, what is the reason for the distaste towards Walmart? I am sure it's warranted, I just don't know what it is. Asda (the equivalent here) doesn't get that much hate to my knowledge.

People hate em cause they undercut the prices of other stores in the area and put em out of business which maximizes profits, but then ALSO keep their employees pay low which also maximizes profits. Personally they bring value to me solely because "people of Walmart"... Google it 😂

Edited by Dbrog24
  • Like 1

For all the talk about Rob Walton, we should probably be focusing our attention more on Greg Penner and Carrie Walton Penner who are likely to be the day to day owners. Once the sale happens, i'll be interested to see how much involvement Mellody Hobson will have on the day to day as well. 

45 minutes ago, grizmo78 said:

For all the talk about Rob Walton, we should probably be focusing our attention more on Greg Penner and Carrie Walton Penner who are likely to be the day to day owners. Once the sale happens, i'll be interested to see how much involvement Mellody Hobson will have on the day to day as well. 

I agree with this.

Also, I heard this morning that Peyton is going to be joining the organization in some sort of capacity. I would assume it would be something like “Senior Football Advisor” kind of thing. 

6 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Out of interest, what is the reason for the distaste towards Walmart? I am sure it's warranted, I just don't know what it is. Asda (the equivalent here) doesn't get that much hate to my knowledge.

What DBrog24 said in addition to the fact that, no matter where the Walmart is located, it just seems to attract the trashiest of the trashy. I live in a nice town and on the very rare occasions I have to go to Walmart, I feel trashy just walking in. But at the same time it’s an ego boost, I think “wow, I’m dressed nicer than everyone, I can read at a 4th grade level, I’m not addicted to meth, have 7 kids and use food stamps.” 🤣

• Like 2

On 6/9/2022 at 1:15 PM, AnAngryAmerican said:

What DBrog24 said in addition to the fact that, no matter where the Walmart is located, it just seems to attract the trashiest of the trashy. I live in a nice town and on the very rare occasions I have to go to Walmart, I feel trashy just walking in. But at the same time it’s an ego boost, I think “wow, I’m dressed nicer than everyone, I can read at a 4th grade level, I’m not addicted to meth, have 7 kids and use food stamps.” 🤣

There is a song out there called The People of Walmart or something. Funny.

Where we save money, shop smart,

Only at Walmaart.

On 6/9/2022 at 9:26 AM, jsthomp2007 said:

The good news, and the ties are obvious, that Kroenke hasn't been cheap with the Rams, Avs, and Nuggets.  So, I am hoping that the Prenner group also like to spend money.  I mean, Donald and Cupp in the last week cost more than half a billion.

Kroenkes have always been cheap with the Nuggets (operate it like a biz for better or worse - it's not all about winning) and they are hated by the Arsenal fans. However, they obviously have gone 100% in with their wealth for the Rams.

I'm not really sure they are going to be working in tandem. Stan and Rob are cousins by marriage and if anything they are now rivals in the NFL. If anything this is just the 1% owning 90% of wealth in America lol 

• Like 1