Houston Texans added as defendants in Deshaun Watson sexual misconduct civil trials

ET80

15 hours ago, MWil23 said:
15 hours ago, FinSting said:

You ever hear the Bill Parcells story about how he chose a LT over QB Matt Ryan with the #1 pick?

I’m all ears

Think he’s referring to Parcells not drafting Ryan because he didn’t want to spend that kind of money on a qb and said tackles tend to have more success drafted high despite needing to rebuild the phins. Then Ryan and Flacco had tremendous success in the league while Hennes been a sub average qb for 2 decades. 

• Like 1

Recency ranking has nothing to do with the severity of this story IMO. When you had Kobe or Ben or other stories it was a one time incident (OK, 2 with Ben) and it played out within a year or so. Also social media was nowhere near what it has become today.

Watson also has about a zero base of people who are on his side (I myself am not, I just want to base punishment on what is proven in court + an extra 4-8 games for being a weirdo conduct detrimental.) With stories like Kobe or Ben or Deflate Gate or Spy Gate you had some sort of support split 70/30 or 50/50 with lots of neutral observers. In this case Houston fans have no loyalty to Watson and Browns fans have no loyalty to Watson so everyone wants to decide later or decide now but there's not a lot of trust towards him.

There was also an 1849 style gold rush involving 4 to 6 teams trying to trade for this dude in the middle of all this and then the "winners/losers" gave him a record contract.

The reporting and hot takes and rumors and speculation and discovery or new discussion topics on this has been endless.

Deflate Gate had the same level of scrutiny but it was really just a stupid 3 year fight over an imagined equipment violation vs physics and sloppy record keeping. At the end of the day it was just a debate about Antitrust Sport Commissioner Power. There were no actual crimes or antisocial behavior involved or alleged in that story.

1 hour ago, Xenos said:

You don’t care and yet you posted that ridiculous drivel. Should just delete your original post then because it shows a lack of awareness.

Dude I’m speaking purely from a FOOTBALL STANDPOINT, not a moral one. If you can’t differentiate between the two that’s on you.

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

Dude I’m speaking purely from a FOOTBALL STANDPOINT, not a moral one. If you can’t differentiate between the two that’s on you.

If you can’t see how this is even worse football wise than the things you mentioned including building a Jim Brown statue and drafting a 30 year old QB, then that’s on you.

7 hours ago, MWil23 said:

No it doesn’t. You can at least go through mental gymnastics that Watson is a great football player and “worth the risk.”

Considering Ernest Byner was suicidal and Art moved this team from a constant sellout and competitive brand while he fired 2 of the 3 best coaches in the history of the game (Bill B was fired by Baltimore btw), it’s not close.

The move you won’t get a single Browns fan to agree with you on.

Even if you ignore ethics/social concerns (which you can't ignore, but I'll play ball), this is still worse

Spending 40M+ guaranteed for the next 5 years (or whatever it is), on a guy who might never play and is only getting worse and worse, is a bigger mistake than using the #1 overall pick on a literal pigeon

Neither is going to help you win, and only one of the two will bury you with 4x the cap hit for practically the rest of the decade

• Like 1

Just now, Tk3 said:

Even if you ignore ethics/social concerns (which you can't ignore, but I'll play ball), this is still worse

Spending 40M+ guaranteed for the next 5 years (or whatever it is), on a guy who might never play and is only getting worse and worse, is a bigger mistake than using the #1 overall pick on a literal pigeon

Neither is going to help you win, and only one of the two will bury you with 4x the cap hit for practically the rest of the decade

I’d rather eat $250 million and 3 firsts than not have a team bro.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

I’d rather eat $250 million and 3 firsts than not have a team bro.

Based on how many Browns fans I see flooding into the Bills mafia, I think you are in the minority of Browns fans with this statement

Tell Tea Time GIF by Dreezy

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tk3 said:

Based on how many Browns fans I see flooding into the Bills mafia, I think you are in the minority of Browns fans with this statement

Tell Tea Time GIF by Dreezy

I’m pot committed at this point, but more or less it’s just made me care infinitely less about the NFL.

I will always be a not so closeted Bills fan as one of my favorite teams to watch going back almost 30 years now, but it’s the Browns or leaving the NFL at this point. Even then I’m not getting invested to the point I was a few months ago. Those days are over.

8 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Could you please enlighten me on how an early 20's dude dumb enough to put his entire life on the internet is going to successfully hide his private life from a team with millions of dollars in resources for private investigators and interviewers? Like, how massive does that conspiracy have to be, and how bad at using the internet do those detectives have to be. And was getting sued 23 times part of the plan?

The Browns didn't do a real background check and are getting hammered for it. Not everything has to be 5D chess.

Clearly not all of this was part of the plan. But striking gold at the only possible time he could while bartering with organizations to give him guaranteed money and playing them against one another…I doubt that it was Watson as much as his agent…but that guy may be set for life even if he never takes another snap. He meanwhile has no need to settle because he can let this thing play out as long as he is wants because he has guaranteed money. He’s not going to jail. At worst he tarnished his good name…which frankly gets get any lower. Only the NFL and Browns have something to lose at this point. 

2 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

Clearly not all of this was part of the plan. But striking gold at the only possible time he could while bartering with organizations to give him guaranteed money and playing them against one another…I doubt that it was Watson as much as his agent…but that guy may be set for life even if he never takes another snap.

I don't see what his agent starting a bidding war has to do with Watson somehow super sneakily hiding his private life, which is what would be required for the Browns to be played here. Lots of agents start bidding wars.

2 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

He meanwhile has no need to settle because he can let this thing play out as long as he is wants because he has guaranteed money. He’s not going to jail. At worst he tarnished his good name…which frankly gets get any lower. Only the NFL and Browns have something to lose at this point. 

Again, this has nothing to do with Watson "playing the Browns".

Alternative explanation for Cleveland's conduct: a lazy, dumb football team with a history of not doing any background on QBs whatsoever and just asking homeless people instead, also didn't do a thorough background check here.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I don't see what his agent starting a bidding war has to do with Watson somehow super sneakily hiding his private life, which is what would be required for the Browns to be played here. Lots of agents start bidding wars.

Again, this has nothing to do with Watson "playing the Browns".

Alternative explanation for Cleveland's conduct: a lazy, dumb football team with a history of not doing any background on QBs whatsoever and just asking homeless people instead, also didn't do a thorough background check here.

The Browns weren’t the only organization swooning this dope. Teams were lining up. Lots of franchises should be embarrassed right now…my own included

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rod Johnson said:

Nullify the trade and force Jimmy to sell the team please we have been through enough. 

On what grounds should the trade be nullified?

Is that a precedent the NFL wants to set for future issues that might be similar?

Actions ( this trade) should have consequences 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, squire12 said:

On what grounds should the trade be nullified?

Is that a precedent the NFL wants to set for future issues that might be similar?

Actions ( this trade) should have consequences 

Go easy on him. He is in the grieving/bargaining phase. 

• Like 1