NBA Offseason Thread: Durant will remain in Brooklyn

NYRaider

Wish the SPurs would have just kept Kennedy Chandler. he looks good in SL right now. Just blocked the hell out of somebody. Made a great pass before that after a drive to the rim, but dude missed the shot. Very Manu type sidearm bullet pass. 

LaRavia has a very smooth stroke.

Edited by Jeezla

Trying to think outside the box here. Let's make a few assumptions here.

1.) Lakers aren't interested in giving up multiple picks AND take back what they view bad, long-term money (i.e. Joe Harris).
2.) The Nets under no circumstance are willing to take back Russell Westbrook, and are not willing to give up Seth Curry to get the deal done.
3.) The Pacers aren't interested in taking back Russell Westbrook into their cap space without significant incentive.
4.) Hornets need a hard-reset besides LaMelo Ball, and would love to create cap flexibility next offseason before LaMelo's extension kicks in.

That being said...

Brooklyn Nets Receive:
C Mason Plumlee

Charlotte Hornets Receive:
PG Russell Westbrook

Indiana Pacers Receive:
SF Gordon Hayward

Los Angeles Lakers Receive:
PG Kyrie Irving
SG Buddy Hield

This would be the relative framework of a potential deal. For Brooklyn, the cap savings are immense. They save nearly $27.9M immediately which would drop them below the luxury tax, and opens up the door for an Ayton S&T if they went that way with Durant. For Charlotte, they're taking on an additional $8M this year but clearing Gordon Hayward's deal off the book for next offseason. For Indiana, they're moving their guard glut for a local guy who is a forward. They eat up part of their cap space, so they're probably going to be the ones receiving assets in return. For the Lakers, it's pretty obvious why they're doing it.

If Brooklyn decides that they don't need that much cap savings, and they're more interested in draft picks in return then it could be tweaked into...

Brooklyn Nets Receive:
PG TJ McConnell
C Mason Plumlee

PG Russell Westbrook

Indiana Pacers Receive:
SF Gordon Hayward

PG Kyrie Irving
SG Buddy Hield

Nets don't save as much money in this deal, but they do save nearly $19.8M which I believe would safely duck them below the luxury tax. For Charlotte, the equation doesn't change. They're giving up short-term salary in favor of long-term cap flexibility. For Indiana, this is pretty much a wash cap-wise as they're trading Buddy Hield for Gordon Hayward, and only add less than $1M to do so. Again, for the Lakers it doesn't change. In this scenario, the pick clearly goes to the Nets.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 11sanchez11 said:

I also agree the NBA should give all their best players to the Lakers for no reason. 

he did say the Lakers probably don't want to give up picks, so just getting Kyrie and Hield in exchange for Westbrook  seems reasonable

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 11sanchez11 said:

I also agree the NBA should give all their best players to the Lakers for no reason. 

Lulz.  If I didn't know any better, I would have thought that Westbrook had 3 years, $200M left on his deal.

16 minutes ago, squire12 said:

he did say the Lakers probably don't want to give up picks, so just getting Kyrie and Hield in exchange for Westbrook  seems reasonable

I know you're better at reading then this.  I said they don't want to give up multiple picks AND take back long-term, bad contracts (how they view Joe Harris supposedly).  It's one or the other for the Lakers.  The Nets aren't getting significant cap relief AND multiple unprotected FRPs for a player who legitimately only has one suitor.

13 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I know you're better at reading then this.  I said they don't want to give up multiple picks AND take back long-term, bad contracts (how they view Joe Harris supposedly).  It's one or the other for the Lakers.  The Nets aren't getting significant cap relief AND multiple unprotected FRPs for a player who legitimately only has one suitor.

I know you are not just proposing this as a pure benefit for LAL

12 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

But once again, does that REALLY matter? What is KD going to do if he is not moved before the season?

It doesn’t seem like teams are willing to do The Godfather package for KD.  If he was open to play anywhere I’m sure there’d be better offers. 

7 hours ago, CWood21 said:

For Charlotte, the equation doesn't change. They're giving up short-term salary in favor of long-term cap flexibility.

The Hornets don't really need to cut money now that Miles Bridges isn't getting an extension. 

I really like the Lakers offseason so far. Last year they were just too old, slow, and couldn't defense because of it. Now added Bryant, Jones, Walker, Troy Brown, JTA all bring that desirable athletic ability. Lakers just need health to be in the championship mix.

14 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Trying to think outside the box here. Let's make a few assumptions here.

1.) Lakers aren't interested in giving up multiple picks AND take back what they view bad, long-term money (i.e. Joe Harris).
2.) The Nets under no circumstance are willing to take back Russell Westbrook, and are not willing to give up Seth Curry to get the deal done.
3.) The Pacers aren't interested in taking back Russell Westbrook into their cap space without significant incentive.
4.) Hornets need a hard-reset besides LaMelo Ball, and would love to create cap flexibility next offseason before LaMelo's extension kicks in.

That being said...

Brooklyn Nets Receive:
C Mason Plumlee

PG Russell Westbrook

Indiana Pacers Receive:
SF Gordon Hayward

PG Kyrie Irving
SG Buddy Hield

This would be the relative framework of a potential deal. For Brooklyn, the cap savings are immense. They save nearly $27.9M immediately which would drop them below the luxury tax, and opens up the door for an Ayton S&T if they went that way with Durant. For Charlotte, they're taking on an additional $8M this year but clearing Gordon Hayward's deal off the book for next offseason. For Indiana, they're moving their guard glut for a local guy who is a forward. They eat up part of their cap space, so they're probably going to be the ones receiving assets in return. For the Lakers, it's pretty obvious why they're doing it.

If Brooklyn decides that they don't need that much cap savings, and they're more interested in draft picks in return then it could be tweaked into...

Brooklyn Nets Receive:
PG TJ McConnell
C Mason Plumlee

PG Russell Westbrook

Indiana Pacers Receive:
SF Gordon Hayward

PG Kyrie Irving
SG Buddy Hield

Nets don't save as much money in this deal, but they do save nearly $19.8M which I believe would safely duck them below the luxury tax. For Charlotte, the equation doesn't change. They're giving up short-term salary in favor of long-term cap flexibility. For Indiana, this is pretty much a wash cap-wise as they're trading Buddy Hield for Gordon Hayward, and only add less than $1M to do so. Again, for the Lakers it doesn't change. In this scenario, the pick clearly goes to the Nets.

Ohhh since we’re just adding all stars without giving up anything can we get the cavs involved in this great deal and maybe get back KD?? I’m willing to give up Kevin love. 

1 minute ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Ohhh since we’re just adding all stars without giving up anything can we get the cavs involved in this great deal and maybe get back KD?? I’m willing to give up Kevin love. 

I'll ask this again, who is trading for Kyrie besides the Lakers?