NBA Offseason Thread: Durant will remain in Brooklyn

NYRaider

16 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

The rest of your post is...exactly my point? He should be in no rush to sign an extension so he can use his potential free agency as leverage.

Yes, but he shouldn't throw away an entire season doing so. He may only have 1-2 left playing at such an impactful level and it can't be wasted on Pelinka holding a 2029 FRP hostage and Darvin Ham thinking he can turn around Russ. He's got 2.5 months to change this roster before the season starts, time to get Hield/Turner if Kyrie is no longer an option.

28 minutes ago, indifference said:

New York receives: Donovan Mitchell, Kendrick Nunn

LA Lakers receive: Patrick Beverley, Malik Beasley, Evan Fournier

Utah receives: Russel Westbrook, Obi Toppin, Quentin Grimes, Cam Reddish, 2023 New York 1st Round Pick, 2024 New York 1st Round Pick Swap, 2025 New York 1st Round Pick, 2026 New York Pick Swap, 2027 New York 1st Round Pick, 2027 LA Lakers 1st Round Pick, 2028 LA Lakers Pick Swap

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Utah receives: Russel Westbrook, Obi Toppin, Quentin Grimes, Cam Reddish, 2023 New York 1st Round Pick, 2024 New York 1st Round Pick Swap, 2025 New York 1st Round Pick, 2026 New York Pick Swap, 2027 New York 1st Round Pick, 2027 LA Lakers 1st Round Pick, 2028 LA Lakers Pick Swap

And Lakers use their other first rounder to trade for Hield? Wouldn't be bad at all and they will have legitimate NBA contributors on their roster instead of what they put out last season. 

54 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

thats actually not a bad get for LAL. I was thinking Bojan but if you going to send out FRPs out would be wise to get the younger player in Beasley for bird rights sake. Still think LA would be too guard heavy. 

bev at the 1

would leave LA with SG options:

Walker IV, THT, Fournier, Beasley, Reaves. THT is the odd man out off the bench, think LA sends him somewhere.

1 hour ago, seminoles1 said:

Swap out Beasley with Bogey, and have them bring back Derrick Rose instead of Fournier and that probably works for LA.

1 hour ago, indifference said:

thats actually not a bad get for LAL. I was thinking Bojan but if you going to send out FRPs out would be wise to get the younger player in Beasley for bird rights sake. Still think LA would be too guard heavy. 

bev at the 1

would leave LA with SG options:

Walker IV, THT, Fournier, Beasley, Reaves. THT is the odd man out off the bench, think LA sends him somewhere.

Utah can get a 1st with Bojan by himself, so I don't think they'd include him in a big trade like this.  They can hold onto him and flip him at the deadline as a good player on an expiring contract.

THT can play the 3.  He's short, but he has a 7'1" wingspan and enough bulk to hold that spot down on defense.  If he can't, then flip him or Beasley for more size.

Walker IV would be the odd man out IMO.  He is not good.

PG: Beverly / Reaves
SG: Fournier / Beasley / Walker IV
SF: LeBron / THT / Troy
PF: AD / Stanley / JTA
C : Bryant / Jones

47 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Swap out Beasley with Bogey, and have them bring back Derrick Rose instead of Fournier and that probably works for LA.

I can't imagine either of those things happening without LA giving up their 2029 1st outright. LA doesn't get to receive the best of everything.  Compromises happen.  You want to keep your 2029 1st?  Then you aren't getting 2 positive assets in Bogdanovic and Rose instead of Fournier and Beasley.

1 minute ago, seminoles1 said:

Utah can get a 1st with Bojan by himself, so I don't think they'd include him in a big trade like this.  They can hold onto him and flip him at the deadline as a good player on an expiring contract.

THT can play the 3.  He's short, but he has a 7'1" wingspan and enough bulk to hold that spot down on defense.  If he can't, then flip him or Beasley for more size.

Walker IV would be the odd man out IMO.  He is not good.

PG: Beverly / Reaves
SG: Fournier / Beasley / Walker IV
SF: LeBron / THT / Troy
PF: AD / Stanley / JTA
C : Bryant / Jones

I can't imagine either of those things happening without LA giving up their 2029 1st outright. LA doesn't get to receive the best of everything.  Compromises happen.  You want to keep your 2029 1st?  Then you aren't getting 2 positive assets in Bogdanovic and Rose instead of Fournier and Beasley.

cant see Reaves being the back up 1, think they’d run it back with Dennis on the vet min before we see that. Either way thats a fringe 6 seed in the stacked west. 

as for Walker IV, using your MLE on a player and again not using him during the season is such an epic fail. Dont see that happening. They’ll let him come off the bench - in what capacity who knows. They can always try to trade him and THT for a natural 3/4 wing. 

8 minutes ago, indifference said:

cant see Reaves being the back up 1, think they’d run it back with Dennis on the vet min before we see that. Either way thats a fringe 6 seed in the stacked west. 

as for Walker IV, using your MLE on a player and again not using him during the season is such an epic fail. Dont see that happening. They’ll let him come off the bench - in what capacity who knows. They can always try to trade him and THT for a natural 3/4 wing. 

They do need a better natural PG, but not exactly good options out there. Reaves at the 1 is simply for show with LeBron on the court.

I mean...THT makes more than him. He was a bad signing from the beginning and no need to force him on the court if you have better options after this hypothetical trade.

The only chance LA has of ending up higher than battling for the 5/6 seed is waiting it out and hoping for Kyrie. Otherwise you get in the playoffs and see what happens with this trade or the potential Indiana trade. Nothing LA does is going to end up with them being true contenders outside of a super LA friendly Kyrie trade. This trade gets them to the dance and maybe LeBron and AD go god-mode or something. You only take on 1 extra year of salary with Fournier and Beasley and then your books completely clear in 2024.

Or they can stand pat, let Westbrook expire, and hope to sign Kyrie or another free agent next summer. Doing that risks losing LeBron as well.

11 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

This offseason, the Lakers have made it very clear they're not interested in taking back long-term money.  And I think that dynamic only changes is if LeBron extend long-term.  If he's willing to do a 1+1 deal, I think it's far more likely we see a Hield/Turner package happen.  Because as of right now, the Lakers probably believe that IF LeBron were to walk that they'd be able to sign Kyrie Irving outright.  Kyrie Irving and Anthony Davis with an additional ~$20.3M in cap space (assuming THT opts out or is traded with zero money coming back) is probably more appealing than taking back long-term money.

As for Bogey/Rose, Bogey is probably the only player in that package that is positive value.  But his market is so limited and given his age and his contract status, I'd find it hard pressed to find a team who is willing to give up him up for more than a lottery protected (maybe top 10) FRP.  And those teams are probably going to be teams who are legitimate championship contenders.  That's not someone you're going to give limited protection on, especially that far in the future.  You have to depreciate that pick since it's in the future, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find a team willing to offer a future FRP with less protection than lottery on that for Bogey.  As for Rose, he's absolutely not positive.  That's about as neutral a value as you can get.  He's probably a tad overpaid, but he's an expiring contract and he's going to be 34 years old this next season.  That's not valuable at all, and he doesn't offer enough on-court value to justify giving up more than a SRP (at most) for him.

On 8/6/2022 at 12:56 AM, CWood21 said:

This offseason, the Lakers have made it very clear they're not interested in taking back long-term money.  And I think that dynamic only changes is if LeBron extend long-term.  If he's willing to do a 1+1 deal, I think it's far more likely we see a Hield/Turner package happen.  Because as of right now, the Lakers probably believe that IF LeBron were to walk that they'd be able to sign Kyrie Irving outright.  Kyrie Irving and Anthony Davis with an additional ~$20.3M in cap space (assuming THT opts out or is traded with zero money coming back) is probably more appealing than taking back long-term money.

As for Bogey/Rose, Bogey is probably the only player in that package that is positive value.  But his market is so limited and given his age and his contract status, I'd find it hard pressed to find a team who is willing to give up him up for more than a lottery protected (maybe top 10) FRP.  And those teams are probably going to be teams who are legitimate championship contenders.  That's not someone you're going to give limited protection on, especially that far in the future.  You have to depreciate that pick since it's in the future, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find a team willing to offer a future FRP with less protection than lottery on that for Bogey.  As for Rose, he's absolutely not positive.  That's about as neutral a value as you can get.  He's probably a tad overpaid, but he's an expiring contract and he's going to be 34 years old this next season.  That's not valuable at all, and he doesn't offer enough on-court value to justify giving up more than a SRP (at most) for him.

The recipe is simple. Do whatever you have to take to sign veteran 3/D players. Thats where I feel like the Lakers have gone so wrong with this whole LBJ phase. They took the blueprint the Cavs/Heat gave them, tore it up to shreds and tried to play the 'We are LAL, we will win every game with star power'.

Its truely like Pelinka/Buss have no idea how to contruct a team that doesnt revolve around 2-3 guys doing 95% of the work. You cant win titles off of superstar talent alone. Especially not one that misses the time that Davis does. You need to be able to find cheaper players who fill specific roles next to LBJ. 

The Lakers need their Kyle Korvers, JR Smiths, Richard Jeffersons, Boobie Gibsons, Iman Shumperts, Mike Millers, Mario Chalmers, Shane Battiers, ect. They let all of those type of guys walk out the door last year for the sake of bringing in Westbrick. Yikes.

Edited by AkronsWitness