Colts starting safety, Khari Willis, retires at 26 years old

TheRealMcCoy

3 hours ago, biggie. said:

There's more to life than football.

I mean, sure, but that's more of a truthism than making sense of the timing in his career. I'm guessing he must be injured more than we know, as he was banged up last year and this makes so little sense at face value. I agree: who cares about football? It's just a sport. 

But to entertain your statement as is, yes there is indeed more to life than football, but. I'm willing to guess that he is/was more into football than most in here are into their careers, as he got fame and recognition unknown to most. And he's only 26. He has a whole life to minister and can be outreaching every day of his life, on or off the field. 

Another thing that is important besides football is having the funds to support one's family (and even future generations of family) and causes that person believes in. Assuming he started playing football seriously around 12 years old, that means 14 years to earn $1.5 million or 17 years to earn $20 mil. It's that simple. He could retire at 29, get two years extended at probably $8mil/yr, maybe more if he just played on the $2.5mil for this year and had a decent year. Even if he just retired after this year, that's an extra $2mil in the bank before retiring. 

It's not a judgment on what one can/can't do. It just looks dumb unless it was about injury, like all-time bonehead stuff. He has momentum. If he takes a year off and comes back he may have blown his shot to get starter money. I don't get it 🤷. He could do so much good with this opportunity, especially as someone who wants to minister.

He could have money to really make some moves to change the lives of others in addition to just Willis and his own. Maybe we'll find out what this is really about, as that reasoning reads flimsy. I'll be the unpopular one to say this doesn't make sense and really doesn't matter what his reasoning is.

He's turning down money he never had made before but was about to make and will likely never have a shot again to make. It's not about greed. His children and their children could have been supported for life from an extra year or two playing football. 

TL;DR 

AScgYT.gif

Edited by NudeTayne
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Ya know what? I wholeheartedly support and respect him for this. 

He made a decent chunk of change, I don't care what anyone says. Frankly, he made more than enough to retire into a comfortable middle class existence for the rest of his life if he's at all smart with his money. 

And he's going into something he must be exceptionally passionate about, else he wouldn't have any incentive to do so. That takes some high maturity and confidence. More power to him, and I hope his new chosen way of life brings him fulfilment.

Good post but I disagree with the point about money. Although that makes it more impressive to me because IMO he didn't make nearly enough money to be set for life unless he hasn't spent any (unlikely) and gets extremely lucky with all investments (also unlikely)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

He is an NFL starter about to be extended from his rookie contract. He made no real money.

Man made $3.2M in his brief time in the NFL. Which is probably more money then 80% of Americans working 25-30 years will make lets be real!!!

While I agree he left 10's of millions on the table as a sports athlete, let's not act like it's a mistake for whatever his reasoning. 

Just now, Nabbs4u said:

Man made $3.2M in his brief time in the NFL. Which is probably more money then 80% of Americans working 25-30 years will make lets be real!!!

While I agree he left 10's of millions on the table as a sports athlete, let's not act like it's a mistake for whatever his reasoning. 

I'm gonna triple down and act like it was a mistake because I believe it was. I believe it was and that he will regret it. He left 90+% career earnings on the table. Only injury makes it make sense. Forget about the rest of us to compare to: in a vacuum he spent his entire life training to make it here and is turning away at the precipice if everything he worked for. I respect him for getting out whenever he does, but it can still be a mistake on his part. And $3.2mil after taxes probably more like 2.3mil. That's really not that much, especially with inflation going wild. Oh well. I don't get it.

5 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

I'm gonna triple down and act like it was a mistake because I believe it was. I believe it was and that he will regret it. He left 90+% career earnings on the table. Only injury makes it make sense. Forget about the rest of us to compare to: in a vacuum he spent his entire life training to make it here and is turning away at the precipice if everything he worked for. I respect him for getting out whenever he does, but it can still be a mistake on his part. And $3.2mil after taxes probably more like 2.3mil. That's really not that much, especially with inflation going wild. Oh well. I don't get it.

You do realize 2.3M over 30 years is a annual salary of $76k a year right after taxes? He made all of that in 4 years. So unless he pissed it all away on hookers, cars and bling, he's got time to spare and money "hopefully " in the bank.

To each their own! 

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, ET80 said:

*shrug*

If your heart isn’t into it, it’s not into it. Don’t force it for a paycheck, because that’s a fast track to failure and resentment to everyone around you.

Like, I agree with this statement in about ~99% of life's circumstances, but man, if it wasn't football and a guy had a six-figure career and no other discernible skills that could earn anything in that stratosphere, I'd say most would say he is nuts for walking away at his peak earning potential just because his heart isn't into it. 

I don't wanna get too cynical, but man, even if he tried for one more year and  propelled himself quickly down that fast track to failure/resentment so then retired after just one more year, he'd have almost doubled his career earnings just for staying one more year. Like, to me, he must either be injured/in pain (which is still my #1 explanation that fits) or he really hates football with a passion. It's just too much earning potential to walk away from IMO. I'll conclude for the umpteenth time that this just makes no sense to me. It doesn't add up. Guys like Sanders and Calvin who both walked away early still had made a lot of money first. 

1 hour ago, NudeTayne said:

I do not agree with you at all. I don't think it has anything to do with any injury how you trying to claim. I believe he found his calling. And that's basically all there is to it. He found something he puts more weight into than playing football or making money. Reading your former posts, to you it is all about money and how you can't understand his decision. You don't have to understand. HE has.

I am sure he didn't wake up this morning and thought "hey I retire today" . He most likely took his time, talking with family/friends before making the final decision.

If he can't fully commit to the game anymore, there is no reason to play it. If it is a mistake ? Who knows. It's between him and what he believes in. I don't think he will ever come back.

Just saw that you posted again while i was typing:  I don't think he is "nuts". Again, unlike you he doesn't put much weight into making the cash. He wants a different route.. not tomorrow or in a year.. .. he wants it now. He also isn't Sanders or Calvin.

We could spin that around a little. What is with all those highly talented guys that could have cashed in, become HOF players but decided to go the darker route ? They were throwing there careers away, while he is walking for something he is committed to.

Edited by NinerFever
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, NinerFever said:

I do not agree with you at all. I don't think it has anything to do with any injury how you trying to claim.

Maybe, maybe not. But he was injured a good amount last year.

I believe he found his calling. And that's basically all there is to it. He found something he puts more weight into than playing football or making money.

If I studied pre-med, then went to med school and earned top marks, then worked as a surgeon for several years paying off debt in the six figure range and then made $2mil total take-home but was offered a top position--one-time offer, all our nothing--at $2.5mil the first year and $8mil each additional year but wasn't liking the grind as much anymore, well...I'd have to really hate it to pass on it. 

Reading your former posts, to you it is all about money and how you can't understand his decision. You don't have to understand. HE has.

I personally don't think God told him to walk away, but that's neither here nor there. I think people conveniently hide behind statements in order to sound a way, such as saying he's quitting to become a minister. As someone around ministry, he doesn't have to give up football for this. It reads disingenuous. I know it's not popular to doubt a person at their word, especially someone making a claim about faith. But yeah, I don't believe it.

To clarify, in case clarity is needed, I mention the money because it really makes no sense, not because I believe he needs to make x amount. I'm saying that he has made next to nothing compared to what he could make with his skillset, age, year of contract, position played etc. and that it makes no sense. Everyone else retires because of injury, like literally pretty much everyone. Some retire because they can't get starter money. Some get one big contract and leave the game. Nobody performs well, isn't injured, plays well enough to get paid and then just walks away at 26. I'm skeptical because it only makes sense in a Hollywood script.

I am sure he didn't wake up this morning and thought "hey I retire today" . He most likely took his time, talking with family/friends before making the final decision.

Agreed.

If he can't fully commit to the game anymore, there is no reason to play it. If it is a mistake ? Who knows. It's between him and what he believes in. I don't think he will ever come back.

I would actually from a cynical point of view--stated above--actually suggest that he show up and see if he can commit. It's $2.5mil for just this year and I believe it's guaranteed. Show up. 

But yes, walking away probably means that he doesn't come back. That is the part that baffles me. That said, if he walks away for a year then he might change his mind and still be able to come back next year. But that is risky.

Just saw that you posted again while i was typing:  I don't think he is "nuts". Again, unlike you he doesn't put much weight into making the cash. He wants a different route.. not tomorrow or in a year.. .. he wants it now. He also isn't Sanders or Calvin.

1. We can all agree that people have free will to do whatever work they want.

2. This does not mean one walks away from a golden situation with a tiny window to do something they can do at any age.

3. Just because I mention money so much doesn't mean one has to be in love with money to point out the (asserted) flaw in his thinking. It's just a financially absurd move to make. It is.

4. If he doesn't like something cultural in the locker room then he could wear his faith on his sleeve and see where the pieces lie. It looks to me like he is walking away from a golden opportunity both with money but also in influence. He could draw a lot of attention to his beliefs and have a podium on which to operate from as a celebrity. It'd be nice to have a celebrity not freak in degeneracy for once.

We could spin that around a little. What is with all those highly talented guys that could have cashed in, become HOF players but decided to go the darker route ? They were throwing there careers away, while he is walking for something he is committed to.

I mean, I don't think anyone would buy it making sense that way. Those guys made a lot of money. Johnson I believe made $100mil. Sanders was 30 and a running back who had been run into the ground and also a couple contracts. His career was so disappointing because his team sucked and he was so good. But he was well paid for the time. Johnson was very injured and everyone understood it. Nobody really blamed them as being selfish. Willis may find himself broke in ten years if he isn't good with money. And then what? 

Either way, I respect your disagreement and you have taken a rational position. 

• Like 1

Hm interesting. Well good for guys retiring from the league on their terms. We are going to get a lot more players retiring early the longer things go. Players are making life changing money and are being smarter with it for the most part.

I don’t think it’ll necessarily be for reasons like this but a mix of health, calling, situation will just randomly shave of 5 or more years than what you thought they’d have left with some guys.

If I was a GM or anyone on the talent evaluation side I’d be continually developing ways to sus out guys who are early retirement risks. Willis was a 4th round pick still on a rookie deal, if there was any sense this was a possibility I’d probably knock him down later. It’s just a cold hard value thing.

If I was on the coaching side I’d make sure I can improve the draw staying a couple more years. Because not every guy is going to play til he can’t do it physically anymore.

Honestly, if he got out now based on a desire to pursue other things and gets to walk away without permanent injury or detriments to his body, good for him. From my perspective, I would’ve given my whole self to play in the nfl for as long as I could, but you have players like Calvin Johnson who have said they’re in pain walking every day from their playing days. Players like Marion Barber that endured severe brain trauma throughout their career and had a miserable last couple years before an untimely end. While I probably wouldn’t do the same, and while he’s definitely leaving 10-20x as much money on the table, I won’t fault a player for walking away while they can. 

10 hours ago, FrantikRam said:

Good post but I disagree with the point about money. Although that makes it more impressive to me because IMO he didn't make nearly enough money to be set for life unless he hasn't spent any (unlikely) and gets extremely lucky with all investments (also unlikely)

Dude made over $3 million in his career and lived in the Midwest. That’s more money than I will make in my lifetime. If he’s not set up unbelievably well after going to college for free, then quite frankly I’d be stunned. Sure lots of these dudes blow through cash and waste it, but if he lived comfortably and can weather the storm of the market now without panic withdrawing, do the compound interest on even $1 million over the next 20-30 years at a 7% return.

20 years is $3.8 million 

30 years is $7.61 million