Rob Gronkowski is retiring (again)

TheRealMcCoy

12 hours ago, Ty21 said:

Kinda brutal to say as I love Gronk but when I think of a Gronk play, I think of the dolphins miracle play to beat the pats where he was the last line of defense and dove miserably into nothing and the pats lost. 

That’s pretty harsh considering the number of outrageous highlights of bowling through defenders he has. The Miami thing was not his fault

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2022 at 7:37 PM, MWil23 said:

Top 10 offensive skill player of all time? That’s a pretty big statement.

You might be right when we look at when RBs were a much bigger factor and injuries do have to be taken into account. But if you give me one WR or TE healthy for 16 games I don't know that I'm even taking Moss or Rice over him. 

His pass catching has been discussed a lot in this thread, but it's sometimes overlooked that he was also a stellar pass blocker and an absolute monster in the run game. 

Edited by Billy86

On 6/22/2022 at 2:14 AM, Hunter2_1 said:

That’s pretty harsh considering the number of outrageous highlights of bowling through defenders he has. The Miami thing was not his fault

Even if it was, who cares? He's human like the rest of us.

3 hours ago, Billy86 said:

You might be right when we look at when RBs were a much bigger factor and injuries do have to be taken into account. But if you give me one WR or TE healthy for 16 games I don't know that I'm even taking Moss or Rice over him. 

*Cringe*

3 hours ago, Billy86 said:

His pass catching has been discussed a lot in this thread, but it's sometimes overlooked that he was also a stellar pass blocker and an absolute monster in the run game. 

Rice was a great perimeter blocker too. Gronk is great but we have jumped the shark here with ludicrous comments. Plus IMO Rice is the GOAT football player period. Divide his numbers in half and he’s still got 100+ TD and 10,000+ yards, which is more than Gronk in his career.

On 7/3/2022 at 8:52 PM, MWil23 said:

*Cringe*

Rice was a great perimeter blocker too. Gronk is great but we have jumped the shark here with ludicrous comments. Plus IMO Rice is the GOAT football player period. Divide his numbers in half and he’s still got 100+ TD and 10,000+ yards, which is more than Gronk in his career.

Nothing cringe about it, Gronk at his peak when healthy was absolutely unstoppable and extremely consistent, and there is no comparison between him and Rice as blockers at all. And that's not a shot at Rice's blocking whatsoever - Gronk was 65lbs heavier than him. 

There's absolutely no questioning that Rice had the better career and arguably the best career of anyone ever. I'm specifically talking about having one healthy for a game or season, where it becomes a very real question as to which of them I'd prefer. 

45 minutes ago, Billy86 said:

Nothing cringe about it, Gronk at his peak when healthy was absolutely unstoppable and extremely consistent, and there is no comparison between him and Rice as blockers at all. And that's not a shot at Rice's blocking whatsoever - Gronk was 65lbs heavier than him. 

There's absolutely no questioning that Rice had the better career and arguably the best career of anyone ever. I'm specifically talking about having one healthy for a game or season, where it becomes a very real question as to which of them I'd prefer. 

Peak Rice in a strike shortened season craps all over anything Gronk has ever done. Not even a debate.

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Peak Rice in a strike shortened season craps all over anything Gronk has ever done. Not even a debate.

Their stats are more than comparable. For their careers they have near identical TDs/game, catch % and yards/reception. Rice has ten more yards/game, but on a lot more targets.

Gronk blocks too, which adds value in the run game that can't be quantified, but that means he runs far fewer routes per game, so his yards/target and TDs/touch are better than Rice's. He also fumbled much less (exactly half as much 1.6% vs 0.8%).

Rice has longevity and durability over Gronk, sure, but that works the other way - a lot of the "per game" stats for Gronk are hurt by games he played hurt or didn't finish.

I'm not saying Gronk is better or anything, but if I was offered a choice between the two, in their prime, to play for the Patriots n the Superbowl, I would think long and hard about picking Gronk.

• Like 1

The Bucs have Darren Fells who is a giant so he could help since they lost OJ Howard who could absolutely blow up on the Bills, he was very underutilized the past few years in Tampa.  

Bucs also have Cade Otton who is a sleeper, I think he could be a decent TE as a pass catcher and Brate is there but Tom will miss big Gronk for sure, he had 800+ yards last year and 6 TDs and has always been a big part of that offense.   Bucs also have Ko Kieft as a sleeper as well, very good blocker no question and a character so he could surprise some people as well.