2023 NBA Draft Discussion Thread

Texansfan713

10 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

I swear if the Pelicans trade up ahead of the Rockets and take Scoot I'm going to be livid. 

There's a ton of smoke behind this now actually. Been seeing Pels insiders report it for a couple of days and now Shams is picking it up. Seems like we're just done with Zion, some kind of Zion for #2/#3 deal is definitely a possibility at this point.

10 hours ago, Spartica4Real said:

There's a ton of smoke behind this now actually. Been seeing Pels insiders report it for a couple of days and now Shams is picking it up. Seems like we're just done with Zion, some kind of Zion for #2/#3 deal is definitely a possibility at this point.

How do you feel about this? Is it too early to move on from Zion?

39 minutes ago, General Tso said:

How do you feel about this? Is it too early to move on from Zion?

Honestly, I'm over Zion at this point. Would I love for him to remain a Pel and finally put it together and stay healthy? Of course. Guy is a transcendent talent. He was in the MVP race and had us tied for #1 in the West with the eventual champion Nuggets at 23-12 when he got injured. I'm not going to be upset or anything if he sticks around either, just continuously holding out hope that he stays healthy because we could be monstrous with him. 

But I'm completely over this cycle of hope to disappointment and at this point I have no faith in him to ever stay healthy. We would be selling low on him, but I'd understand. It's such a boom or bust move too, if Scoot lives up to his hype they replaced an unreliable injury prone player with someone who would become one of the best lead guards in the NBA to put next to BI and our young guys. On the flip side, if Zion goes to the Hornets or Blazers and puts together healthy seasons and becomes the player we all know he can be, we're going to be the clown franchise of a generation, no one will look at the nuance of why we traded him.

TL;DR mixed feelings and wouldn't complain either way. I get why from a team building standpoint they'd want to move on from this unreliability, and if we keep him obviously I understand keeping a team-controlled superstar talent.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Spartica4Real said:

Honestly, I'm over Zion at this point. Would I love for him to remain a Pel and finally put it together and stay healthy? Of course. Guy is a transcendent talent. He was in the MVP race and had us tied for #1 in the West with the eventual champion Nuggets at 23-12 when he got injured. I'm not going to be upset or anything if he sticks around either, just continuously holding out hope that he stays healthy because we could be monstrous with him. 

But I'm completely over this cycle of hope to disappointment and at this point I have no faith in him to ever stay healthy. We would be selling low on him, but I'd understand. It's such a boom or bust move too, if Scoot lives up to his hype they replaced an unreliable injury prone player with someone who would become one of the best lead guards in the NBA to put next to BI and our young guys. On the flip side, if Zion goes to the Hornets or Blazers and puts together healthy seasons and becomes the player we all know he can be, we're going to be the clown franchise of a generation, no one will look at the nuance of why we traded him.

TL;DR mixed feelings and wouldn't complain either way. I get why from a team building standpoint they'd want to move on from this unreliability, and if we keep him obviously I understand keeping a team-controlled superstar talent.

I'm tired of the Zion saga as well. I just want to see him take his health seriously, but dude just refuses to drop some weight. Undeniable talent with unlimited potential. I don't necessarily want to trade him, but I would understand the logic behind it if the front office did. That being said, I don't know if Scoot is the guy to trade him for. A non-shooting ball dominant guard doesn't translate into team success in the NBA. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, JMG5 said:

I'm tired of the Zion saga as well. I just want to see him take his health seriously, but dude just refuses to drop some weight. Undeniable talent with unlimited potential. I don't necessarily want to trade him, but I would understand the logic behind it if the front office did. That being said, I don't know if Scoot is the guy to trade him for. A non-shooting ball dominant guard doesn't translate into team success in the NBA. 

Agreed all around, I'm not sure if Zion has enough value right now to get you much more than that though. It's at an all time low, which is why they should only trade him if they're just that over him and dealing with him. Part of this rumor is just the Pels being enamored with Scoot, so obviously if you believe that Scoot is a superstar-in-waiting then that could be a great trade. I'm not so sure. And I think one thing we can all agree on is whether or not you think Scoot is a superstar-in-waiting, he is NOT the prospect that Zion was (and his potential has already been proven in the NBA) so it would 100% just be a case of a selling low on him to be done with it.

On 6/7/2023 at 10:00 AM, Sllim Pickens said:

Banchero was a shock only because of so many reports that they were taking Smith.  But the top 3 were the top 3 we expected.   I think this year it could be more likely than last given there are a couple from the Overtime Elite league and one from the G League in the mix for top 5.  I don't see anyone as of now jumping ahead of Miller and Henderson for the top 3 however but wouldn't shock me if someone fell in love with another prospect.  

I can literally remember the weeks before the draft Jabari Smith to go #1 was like -600, -500 then the night before it flipped completely.

Never seen anything like it from a betting standpoint. Pretty crazy. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

I can literally remember the weeks before the draft Jabari Smith to go #1 was like -600, -500 then the night before it flipped completely.

Never seen anything like it from a betting standpoint. Pretty crazy. 

Agreed, but I don't think any of that Smith to Orlando was based on skill, it was based on rumor/inside info being reported.  I think the morning of the draft, Banchero was like +1000 or more to go #1.  

Chet to OKC was locked in as well and then Houston was going to take whichever of the three that was left.  Looks like Orlando made the right move, although I still like Chet a lot. 

• Like 1

On 6/13/2023 at 5:44 PM, Spartica4Real said:

Agreed all around, I'm not sure if Zion has enough value right now to get you much more than that though. It's at an all time low, which is why they should only trade him if they're just that over him and dealing with him. Part of this rumor is just the Pels being enamored with Scoot, so obviously if you believe that Scoot is a superstar-in-waiting then that could be a great trade. I'm not so sure. And I think one thing we can all agree on is whether or not you think Scoot is a superstar-in-waiting, he is NOT the prospect that Zion was (and his potential has already been proven in the NBA) so it would 100% just be a case of a selling low on him to be done with it.

Do you think the trade would be for 2/3 only?  Or would it be 2/3 and a couple future 1sts?  As an outsider, the only way I'd give up on Zion for Scoot is if he is mentally out of it and wanting out of NO, which I can't say I am overly up to date on.  If he wants to be there, I might give it another run because guys like Embiid had a long injury riddled start to their careers but eventually figured it out.   As a Lions fan it reminds me of Matt Stafford early on.    

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Do you think the trade would be for 2/3 only?  Or would it be 2/3 and a couple future 1sts?  As an outsider, the only way I'd give up on Zion for Scoot is if he is mentally out of it and wanting out of NO, which I can't say I am overly up to date on.  If he wants to be there, I might give it another run because guys like Embiid had a long injury riddled start to their careers but eventually figured it out.   As a Lions fan it reminds me of Matt Stafford early on.    

I doubt it'd be much more than just the draft pick. Zion has averaged 29 games per season. You don't have superstar value at that point to warrant a top 3 draft pick in a 3 player draft + more assets.

No one denies this man's talent, but him making max money and only playing 35% of the season is a killer to roster building. If they can get more than just #2/#3, then New Orleans should absolutely jump on it IMO.

On 6/13/2023 at 1:16 PM, Spartica4Real said:

It's a tough spot. Even though I'm high on Scoot, I couldn't bring myself to trade a 22 year old MVP caliber player away to get him even as unreliable as Zion is.

Edited by Mox