Something you disagree with your fan base on

Hunter2_1

Eric DeCosta suuuuuuuuucks

I can’t believe this one even needs to be said but. Judon >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Bowser

Those two point conversion attempts against Pittsburgh and Green Bay were dumb. Especially Pittsburgh(GB was kinda understandable.) Most of our 4th down attempts are dumb too. Situational analytics are dumb because the operate under the assumption that everything is equal and when people rely on them I question how much confidence they have in their own decision making.

Passing on UFAs to get compensatory picks is a terrible strategy. Maybe before the salary cap explosion and rollover when more good players were getting released it was viable. Now it’s just dumb.

Edited by DontTazeMeBro

On 6/29/2022 at 12:48 PM, Ray Reed said:

Well, we tried that in the early part of 2020, went like 6-5 and then the coaching staff said F it and ran the ball every play again and won like 5 straight to get into the playoffs lol.

This just isn’t true. The 6-5 part is accurate. But that’s about it. The narrative of operating from more 3 WR looks and passing more leading to the losses is made up. 

This team started 5-1 then played the Steelers and lost to them while rushing for 265 yards. 5-2

They then play the Colts run defense and TRIED running the football the entire first half and was SHUTDOWN. They then went 3 WR sets in the second half and won the game. 6-2

They then played the Patriots in a torrential downpour and lost because they couldn’t STOP the run (Calais Campbell and BWill both out IIRC) and because Matt Skura, the center, had one of the worst snapping games of the last decade. They couldn’t get anything going running or passing. 6-3

The Titans game is one where maybe you have a point, the Titans run defense was doing a great job stopping the run outside of a few Dobbins’ runs. 33 carries isn’t terrible, but maybe they could’ve been more patient. 6-4

Play Steelers without Lamar and JKD. The Steelers let RG3 eat on the ground, but none of the QBs could complete a forward pass and we lost. 6-5.

So really the season was filled with three waves; where they went 5-1, where they went 1-4, and where they went 5-0.

The breakdown for that distribution was 27.3 passes to 26.5 runs going 5-1, then 26.4 passes to 34.8 runs going 1-4, and then 21.8 passes to 40.0 runs finishing 5-0.

The middle games just so happened to be the more talented slate of teams faced and the covid adversity hit in the middle of the season as well.

The Ravens won more when they ran most and won more when they passed most. But also lost more when they ran more.

So if anything in terms of the splits above, they had a better record from when they passed more than when they ran more, 5-1 vs 6-5.

So I’m really not sure where you concocted this narrative from. What’s more 22, 12, and 21 personnel were still the predominant formations run in 2020 from start to finish outside of a few outlier games because Boyle and Ricard got tons of snaps.

If anything 2021 was the year where 11 and 10 personnel sets were far more common with Brown, Watkins/Bateman, and Duvernay/Proche and no Nick Boyle. So it might’ve made sense had you used last season as your talking point (granted the record was still 8-4 under Lamar).

In terms of what I disagree most with the Ravens fanbase.

I personally would’ve taken Christian Watson over David Ojabo in the 2nd and given up a future mid round pick to move up.

I felt Watson was special on tape and he doesn’t have the Achilles concern. I could be very wrong, but Watson I feel would’ve been the perfect fit within our run heavy scheme (as Watson did a lot of blocking at NDSU.)

15 hours ago, FrantikRam said:

When we made that trade, it almost ripped the fanbase apart. And I'm trying - really, really trying - not to troll incessantly about it now. But what makes it really hard are all these Jared Goff apologists - well, most of them at least - never admitted just how wrong they were.

Yeah, you're not kidding. I recall some people wanting to jump ship! 

If I were a Rams fan I'd be agreeing with you totally. I think it's obvious that Goff held you back.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Yeah, you're not kidding. I recall some people wanting to jump ship! 

If I were a Rams fan I'd be agreeing with you totally. I think it's obvious that Goff held you back.

It was sort of a dream tbh. On my Rams board it was BAD. It's been very hard to not go dig up some posts from the back and forths that took place a year ago and just drop them in a thread somewhere.

On the flip side, I've never been THAT right about something. In 2019 I gave him a bit of a pass. Then he started out well in 2020. But the two Niners games, Seahawks game, Dolphins and Jets games - I was just done. During that season I (and a few others) started saying he was the problem and that he needed to go. My argument was pretty simple: I felt, QB aside, the Rams had the best roster in the league.

When we traded for Stafford I was excited but of course the script flipped on me and I thought "****, no way we'll win the Super Bowl right away" - I knew we had the talent, but it takes so much luck to get there.

So yea....pretty crazy to have been THAT right about something that quickly.

12 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

This just isn’t true. The 6-5 part is accurate. But that’s about it. The narrative of operating from more 3 WR looks and passing more leading to the losses is made up. 

This team started 5-1 then played the Steelers and lost to them while rushing for 265 yards. 5-2

They then play the Colts run defense and TRIED running the football the entire first half and was SHUTDOWN. They then went 3 WR sets in the second half and won the game. 6-2

They then played the Patriots in a torrential downpour and lost because they couldn’t STOP the run (Calais Campbell and BWill both out IIRC) and because Matt Skura, the center, had one of the worst snapping games of the last decade. They couldn’t get anything going running or passing. 6-3

The Titans game is one where maybe you have a point, the Titans run defense was doing a great job stopping the run outside of a few Dobbins’ runs. 33 carries isn’t terrible, but maybe they could’ve been more patient. 6-4

Play Steelers without Lamar and JKD. The Steelers let RG3 eat on the ground, but none of the QBs could complete a forward pass and we lost. 6-5.

So really the season was filled with three waves; where they went 5-1, where they went 1-4, and where they went 5-0.

The breakdown for that distribution was 27.3 passes to 26.5 runs going 5-1, then 26.4 passes to 34.8 runs going 1-4, and then 21.8 passes to 40.0 runs finishing 5-0.

The middle games just so happened to be the more talented slate of teams faced and the covid adversity hit in the middle of the season as well.

The Ravens won more when they ran most and won more when they passed most. But also lost more when they ran more.

So if anything in terms of the splits above, they had a better record from when they passed more than when they ran more, 5-1 vs 6-5.

So I’m really not sure where you concocted this narrative from. What’s more 22, 12, and 21 personnel were still the predominant formations run in 2020 from start to finish outside of a few outlier games because Boyle and Ricard got tons of snaps.

If anything 2021 was the year where 11 and 10 personnel sets were far more common with Brown, Watkins/Bateman, and Duvernay/Proche and no Nick Boyle. So it might’ve made sense had you used last season as your talking point (granted the record was still 8-4 under Lamar).

Ok. The 5 games in 2020 was like 10% of my argument and it still is entirely true without them about what most Ravens fans want to see lol but thanks for the novel, as always.

The entire point of my post was that most Ravens fans post-2019 Tennessee playoff loss have been overly obsessed with “updating the offense” and getting away from running Lamar/running our unorthodox offense as much as we have, and that’s the entire thing our success has been predicated on. I disagree that we should turn away from that to the degree that most Ravens fans have called for the past 2 years.

Edited by Ray Reed

22 hours ago, FrantikRam said:

My time to shine! Although to be fair, there are a few more Rams fans that agree with this take now...

Jared Goff is a bad quarterback. Had McVay not shown up in LA, he would be out of the league right now. I would take him only over the obvious "shouldn't be starting" QBs right now. Anyone else who is even a question, I'm taking over him.

McVay's offense took the league by storm for most of two seasons and after that (once there was enough tape out there), it was clear that Goff shouldn't have been a starter. I did not want to extend him after that Super Bowl loss. I adamantly disagree that it was anyone's fault other than Goff. Of course McVay will SAY he got outcoached, but if Goff just hits a wide *** open Brandin Cooks, that Super Bowl probably ends differently, so I hesitate to take that very seriously.

When we made that trade, it almost ripped the fanbase apart. And I'm trying - really, really trying - not to troll incessantly about it now. But what makes it really hard are all these Jared Goff apologists - well, most of them at least - never admitted just how wrong they were.

Beyond that, probably the CBs or OL - I have consistently agreed with the teams approach while most fans get anxious heading into each season.

I'll bite.

This is an overly dramatic take. Just because 26 year old Goff was not as good as 33 year old Stafford doesn't make him a bad QB. I admit I was wrong on whether or not the trade was worth it, but look at what he did in the second half of last season on the Lions with the change in playcalling. I see now that the trade was needed but without the turmoil between Goff and Mcvay (which Mcvay himself took blame for), Goff was still capable of winning a Superbowl in LA. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JonStark said:

I'll bite.

This is an overly dramatic take. Just because 26 year old Goff was not as good as 33 year old Stafford doesn't make him a bad QB. I admit I was wrong on whether or not the trade was worth it, but look at what he did in the second half of last season on the Lions with the change in playcalling. I see now that the trade was needed but without the turmoil between Goff and Mcvay (which Mcvay himself took blame for), Goff was still capable of winning a Superbowl in LA. 

That's the point of the thread.

Of course Goff was still capable of winning a Super Bowl. Trent ******* Dilfer was obviously capable of winning a Super Bowl. That's an incredibly low bar.

Of course McVay took the blame. He's a great leader. McVay has had turmoil with.......nobody else? Reading between the lines it's pretty easy to see that Goff was the problem there, not McVay.

Whether Goff is a "bad" QB probably comes down to personal preference. I think he's a bad QB who will never be the starting QB on a winning team in his career going forward.

25 minutes ago, JonStark said:

I'll bite.

Insanely dramatic. You lose all credibility when you think Goff should be out of the league.

• Like 2

That you can overvalue the trenches and boy do the Eagles do that. 

We go after DL at every opportunity, even valuing depth over starters at other positions and because of that, the Defense (or the whole roster) sucks everywhere else. So you have a very unbalanced roster construction and the same needs year after year.

Besides, compared to the amount of resources the Eagles invest (maybe even waste) at the positions, the DL isn't that good. The pressure is not what it should be, specially at EDGE.

Eagles fans seem to think that's what "smart teams" do and it's kind of an outdated idea. Sure, they are very important. But it gets to a point that you overvalue them.

P.S. Fire Howie

I’m still fairly agnostic on Staley as a head coach even though a lot of Chargers fans already see him as a long term winner. 

The caveat here is that I think he gets too much heat for his in game decision making by non-Chargers fans. People will point out the instances where it backfired but don’t mention that we also won several games because we went for it on 4th down. 

What I like about him is the culture he’s created in the locker room and the fact that players seem to want to come play for us now in a way they haven’t in a very long time. I think he’s probably the driving force behind Telesco being aggressive this offseason in a way that he hasn’t been during his 9-year tenure with us. 

What I wasn’t impressed by is the fact that he’s supposed to be a defensive guru and our defense was trash last year. I get that we had a lot of really bad players in starting roles, but he didn’t even really seem to adjust his scheme much to fit their skill sets better. (Most of them were drafted to fit into Gus Bradley’s style of defense) 

So I’m in a wait and see mode with him this year. The defense is almost entirely revamped, so there’s no excuse for it to not at least be decent. 

Edited by Bolts223
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, LeotheLion said:

Insanely dramatic. You lose all credibility when you think Goff should be out of the league.

Guess it's good that I never said he should presently be out of the league.

In fact, I basically said he's one of the best 32 QBs in the league which by definition means he should be in the league. I said I would take him over QBs who clearly shouldn't be starting - so Goff SHOULD be starting games for the Lions, Giants and Panthers at minimum. He'd be the starter for the Browns with Watson suspended. Steelers too right now.