USC and UCLA to move to Big Ten as early as 2024

Packerraymond

On 7/3/2022 at 8:53 AM, candyman93 said:

Malibu said it perfectly. It’s all about getting your “brand” in big cities and owning that TV market. It’s brilliant when you think about NIL. 

Don’t just think “well this school sucks.” Think: Stanford -> Bay Area, Washington -> Seattle, and Oregon -> Portland (but mainly Nike).

Notre Dame is obviously a huge brand, but they have always been a “fit.” They’re just arrogant as hell.

Its always made zero sense to me how ND and Cincinatti are not in the Big10. Regardless of footprint/tv deals. They are good programs located right in the Midwest.

Realign the conferences and have USC/UCLA/ND/WIS/IOWA be in the Big10 West and OSU/MICH/MICH ST/PENN ST/CIN be in the Big10 East.

Edited by AkronsWitness

On 7/3/2022 at 9:01 AM, candyman93 said:

Does Georgia Tech make sense….? AAU school with the Atlanta market. I guess it depends on how big they want to make the conference.

I suppose the B1G grabbing a team down south would make some sense from a recruiting stand point.

I feel like if they no that it makes sense to extend the southern border down from maryland to Georgia and the Carolinas though.

On 7/3/2022 at 7:06 PM, Texansfan713 said:

If I'm Arizona/Arizona St, I wait this out. There is zero reason to rush to the Big 12, wait and see if you can get into the SEC or Big Ten as part of their western expansions.

The Arizonas to the SEC
The PNW duo to the B1G (+Stanford & Cal)
                  makes a lot of sense.

45 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

If I'm Arizona/Arizona St, I wait this out. There is zero reason to rush to the Big 12, wait and see if you can get into the SEC or Big Ten as part of their western expansions.

The Arizonas to the SEC
The PNW duo to the B1G (+Stanford & Cal)
                  makes a lot of sense.

The SEC isn't expanding any further West.  Oklahoma and Texas are as far as they're going to go.  If they're going to expand, it's going to include Miami (FL), Clemson, and Florida State in no particular order.  It makes sense for Arizona and Arizona State to jump to the Big 12.

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

Its always made zero sense to me how ND and Cincinatti are not in the Big10. Regardless of footprint/tv deals. They are good programs located right in the Midwest.

Realign the conferences and have USC/UCLA/ND/WIS/IOWA be in the Big10 West and OSU/MICH/MICH ST/PENN ST/CIN be in the Big10 East.

Notre Dame hasn’t joined the Big Ten yet because they still have a superiority complex and hold a grudge after getting left out 100 years ago. A century later and they still want the Big Ten to brush their hair and bend over backwards to make them feel special enough to join the conference with special privileges despite the fact that their revenue share in the Big Ten would dwarf their current rights. I say continue to leave them out. Bring in Oregon and Washington to reward USC/UCLA so they aren’t going it alone and be done with Notre Dame. 

Edited by NateDawg
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Notre Dame hasn’t joined the Big Ten yet because they still have a superiority complex and hold a grudge after getting left out 100 years ago. A century later and they still want the Big Ten to brush their hair and bend over backwards to make them feel special enough to join the conference with special privileges despite the fact that their revenue share in the Big Ten would dwarf their current rights. I say continue to leave them out. Bring in Oregon and Washington to reward USC/UCLA so they aren’t going it alone and be done with Notre Dame. 

Lol I had no idea that was the case. Well yeah then leave them out

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

The SEC isn't expanding any further West.  Oklahoma and Texas are as far as they're going to go.  If they're going to expand, it's going to include Miami (FL), Clemson, and Florida State in no particular order.  It makes sense for Arizona and Arizona State to jump to the Big 12.

why wouldn't they go west? especially if the ACC teams are off the table,

2 hours ago, NateDawg said:

I'd love for Notre Dame to be left out of it all and have to settle

• Like 1

Just now, Kiltman said:

why wouldn't they go west? especially if the ACC teams are off the table,

Right now, who offers significant value?  I think you could only argue Oregon and Washington.  Nobody in the Big 12 offers the SEC value after raiding Oklahoma and Texas.  Eugene is nearly 2000 miles from Norman.  It's not quite half from Norman to Gainesville.  The logistics of getting teams across the country make it nearly impossible.  The Big 12 has motivation to add Oregon and Washington to stay relevant.

16 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Right now, who offers significant value?  I think you could only argue Oregon and Washington.  Nobody in the Big 12 offers the SEC value after raiding Oklahoma and Texas.  Eugene is nearly 2000 miles from Norman.  It's not quite half from Norman to Gainesville.  The logistics of getting teams across the country make it nearly impossible.  The Big 12 has motivation to add Oregon and Washington to stay relevant.

I think this is really about football.  teams traveling cross country is not going to stop the possibility to gain more revenue

8 minutes ago, squire12 said:

I think this is really about football.  teams traveling cross country is not going to stop the possibility to gain more revenue

From a Football standpoint, what exactly does Oregon or Washington offer?  They're the last remaining big fish outside of the obvious guys (i.e. Notre Dame, Clemson, etc.).  I think it says enough that that the Big 10 would say "thanks but not right now".  I don't think the SEC is suddenly going to jump because the Big 10 flinched.  I think there's really only two possibilities for Washington and Oregon.  It's either go to the Big 10 if/when Notre Dame declines or look for stability and jump to the Big 12 and hope that they can create a third super-conference.

18 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

From a Football standpoint, what exactly does Oregon or Washington offer?  They're the last remaining big fish outside of the obvious guys (i.e. Notre Dame, Clemson, etc.).  I think it says enough that that the Big 10 would say "thanks but not right now".  I don't think the SEC is suddenly going to jump because the Big 10 flinched.  I think there's really only two possibilities for Washington and Oregon.  It's either go to the Big 10 if/when Notre Dame declines or look for stability and jump to the Big 12 and hope that they can create a third super-conference.

Oregon would bring another perennial top 10-12 team to the Big 10. USC is shaping up to be a powerhouse as well with Lincoln Riley there. Oregon/USC joining Ohio St, Michigan, Penn St and Wisconsin would bring a lot more validity to the conference from a football standpoint.

Washington would be like adding another Purdue but it would be worth it just to have the Big 10 own the entire West Coast footprint from Seattle down to SoCal. That is going to count for something from a revenue standpoint. 

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

On 7/1/2022 at 12:48 PM, Kiltman said:

Really depends what their game is.

If the Big Ten just wants to be clearly in a tier most comprable to the SEC, this move helped them separate from the others as that #2. 

If the whole thing is building to a new system where the SEC and BIG Ten basically run the whole thing they have more work to do. 

The benefits of further additions also help for the TV deal that’s being worked on right now. They just added two teams in the 2nd biggest market and have the top 4.

Rk Top 50 Metropolitan Market Regions / Areas IN CONF. Potentialadds
1 New York Rutgers  
2 Los Angeles USC & UCLA  
3 Chicago Northwestern   
4 Philadelphia Penn State  
5 Dallas-Ft. Worth    
6 San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose   Stanford
7 Boston    
8 Atlanta    
9 Washington, DC Maryland  
10 Houston    
11 Detroit Michigan & State  
12 Phoenix   Arizona / State
13 Tampa-St. Petersburg    
14 Seattle-Tacoma   Washington
15 Minneapolis-St. Paul Minnesota  
16 Miami-Ft.Lauderdale   Miami
17 Cleveland-Akron Ohio State  
18 Denver   Colorado
19 Orlando-Daytona Beach-Melbourne    
20 Sacramento-Stockton-Modesto   Stanford
21 St. Louis    
22 Portland, OR   Oregon
23 Pittsburgh   Pitt
24 Charlotte, NC   UNC & Duke
25 Indianapolis Indiana / Purdue Notre Dame
26 Baltimore Maryland  
27 Raleigh-Durham   UNC & Duke
28 San Diego    
29 Nashville    
30 Hartford-New Haven    
31 Kansas City   Kansas
32 Columbus, OH Ohio State  
33 Salt Lake City   Utah
34 Cincinnati    
35 Milwaukee Wiconsin  
36 Greenville-Spartanburg-Asheville-Anderson   Clemson
37 San Antonio    
38 West Palm Beach-Ft. Pierce   Miami
39 Grand Rapids-Kalamazoo-Battle Creek Michigan & State  
40 Birmingham    
41 Harrisburg-Lancaster-Lebanon-York Penn State  
42 Las Vegas    
43 Norfolk-Portsmouth-Newport News   Virginia / Va Tech 
44 Albuquerque-Santa Fe    
45 Oklahoma City   Okla. State
46 Greensboro-High Point-Winston-Salem   UNC & Duke
47 Jacksonville, FL    
48 Memphis   Memphis
49 Austin    
50 Louisville   Louisville

19 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Seattle and Portland TV markets