USC and UCLA to move to Big Ten as early as 2024

Packerraymond

Thinking about money and making games matter — if we are blowing the whole thing up anyway…would anyone be down for a relegation system being put in? 

Gives the B1G & SEC a system to remove the Rutgers and Vanderbilts of their conferences. They would still be members of the conferences, this would only be a football thing. Let’s both of them bolster the amount of teams to support it and makes those bottom of the league games matter.

And the big plus is a relegation playoff in addition to the playoffs for the championship. Which would be pretty backed with drama like it is with soccer overseas.

Makes it so teams that don’t seem to care much like Indiana/Vandy, or can’t seem to fix their situation like Nebraska/Rutgers are doing their own thing with a much lower bar to aim for. Like isn’t it more exciting to build up, beat everyone in the relegation sub division then beat a bottom team from the top division in the relegation playoffs for their spot?

It totally throws out a lot of things, but it seems like that’s happening already.

39 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Thinking about money and making games matter — if we are blowing the whole thing up anyway…would anyone be down for a relegation system being put in? 

Gives the B1G & SEC a system to remove the Rutgers and Vanderbilts of their conferences. They would still be members of the conferences, this would only be a football thing. Let’s both of them bolster the amount of teams to support it and makes those bottom of the league games matter.

And the big plus is a relegation playoff in addition to the playoffs for the championship. Which would be pretty backed with drama like it is with soccer overseas.

Makes it so teams that don’t seem to care much like Indiana/Vandy, or can’t seem to fix their situation like Nebraska/Rutgers are doing their own thing with a much lower bar to aim for. Like isn’t it more exciting to build up, beat everyone in the relegation sub division then beat a bottom team from the top division in the relegation playoffs for their spot?

It totally throws out a lot of things, but it seems like that’s happening already.

I get it from a football standpoint, but I’d also say Vandy is a powerhouse in baseball. I believe if the ACC misses out on ND and loses Clemson to the SEC, they should consider poaching them and going all in on baseball and basketball conferences/academic standards.

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

I get it from a football standpoint, but I’d also say Vandy is a powerhouse in baseball. I believe if the ACC misses out on ND and loses Clemson to the SEC, they should consider poaching them and going all in on baseball and basketball conferences/academic standards.

I can see a couple of the Basketball powerhouses getting bids if they have an ok football presence. I’m not sure the baseball teams will matter much, but any sport like that is a perk for sure.

I think the big thing with that system though is it wouldn’t affect the other sports. Like it can either be sport by sport, or really in Basketball, baseball/Softball, soccer, and others you can play all the teams or just make two divisions to split things up a bit. You don’t have to relegate. So like Kansas football maybe got relegate down but Kansas basketball still is in with everyone else. Idk some stuff you’d have to iron out.

Just thinking like what can make all these games matter, what can add more interesting stuff to watch.

1 hour ago, Kiltman said:

I can see a couple of the Basketball powerhouses getting bids if they have an ok football presence. I’m not sure the baseball teams will matter much, but any sport like that is a perk for sure.

I think the big thing with that system though is it wouldn’t affect the other sports. Like it can either be sport by sport, or really in Basketball, baseball/Softball, soccer, and others you can play all the teams or just make two divisions to split things up a bit. You don’t have to relegate. So like Kansas football maybe got relegate down but Kansas basketball still is in with everyone else. Idk some stuff you’d have to iron out.

Just thinking like what can make all these games matter, what can add more interesting stuff to watch.

transfer portal will be crazy with players on teams that get relegated to the lower division

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, squire12 said:

transfer portal will be crazy with players on teams that get relegated to the lower division

That’s a good point 

I suppose the only thing with that is any player on those teams that’s not quite getting what the want leave a lot of times already. But this would certainly pour gas on that issue.

Suppose glass full it provides more incentive to be good/competitive.

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

They’re keeping Rutgers purely for the TV market. Same reason why we’re keeping Maryland.

It’s also why I think we will want Stanford.

Does having a crappy football team in a big TV market make a difference in ratings?

How often is Rutgers game in a prime TV slot?

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

Does having a crappy football team in a big TV market make a difference in ratings?

It’s about the big 10 network being added to all the cable tvs in the team footprints.

so LA will now be in the B1G footprint…wether viewers are tuning in or not.

it’s the sole reason Rutgers was invited in to the conference 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, squire12 said:

Malibu said it perfectly. It’s all about getting your “brand” in big cities and owning that TV market. It’s brilliant when you think about NIL. 

Don’t just think “well this school sucks.” Think: Stanford -> Bay Area, Washington -> Seattle, and Oregon -> Portland (but mainly Nike).

Notre Dame is obviously a huge brand, but they have always been a “fit.” They’re just arrogant as hell.

Edited by candyman93