Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

48 minutes ago, hornbybrown said:

I'm going to be the one to say it..... Baker might.... This is a football city

Yeah, the only reason Myles wouldn't be able to do it is because of the position he plays.

Basketball has always been a very distant 3rd in Cleveland behind football and baseball. Literally the only reason people even began to care is because LeBron had such a huge hype train behind him before he was even a Cav and then it turned out he was actually that good so people stuck around to watch it.

The second the Browns start making playoff runs northern Ohio will forget and not even care about LeBron James anymore. I would say the generation who is currently 11-20 would be the hardest to sway back away from basketball but then again they are the most fickle and trend following bunch I've ever seen, so I could see them hopping to football train once it is cool.

9 minutes ago, TheeRealDeal said:

Yeah, the only reason Myles wouldn't be able to do it is because of the position he plays.

Basketball has always been a very distant 3rd in Cleveland behind football and baseball. Literally the only reason people even began to care is because LeBron had such a huge hype train behind him before he was even a Cav and then it turned out he was actually that good so people stuck around to watch it.

The second the Browns start making playoff runs northern Ohio will forget and not even care about LeBron James anymore. I would say the generation who is currently 11-20 would be the hardest to sway back away from basketball but then again they are the most fickle and trend following bunch I've ever seen, so I could see them hopping to football train once it is cool.

This is actually not true at all. The Cavs have always been pretty big in this area. Except for those mid 90s Indians teams I’d say the Cavs are securely in second place. For real the Browns have always been the king but the Cavs are clearly number 2. 

Just now, Bonanza23 said:

This is actually not true at all. The Cavs have always been pretty big in this area. Except for those mid 90s Indians teams I’d say the Cavs are securely in second place. For real the Browns have always been the king but the Cavs are clearly number 2. 

We must have grew up in two different worlds. Even the last 10 years I still see more Indians gear than I see cavs gear as I'm out and about. I'm obviously not from the City nor do I venture to the city or its suburbs very often but I will tell you in rural Ohio where I have lived my entire life no one ever cared about Basketball before LeBron and post LeBron-pre return.  I was blown away by how much people were into Basketball in the small community I joined two years ago to coach football and even then its still 3rd fiddle.

15 minutes ago, TheeRealDeal said:

We must have grew up in two different worlds. Even the last 10 years I still see more Indians gear than I see cavs gear as I'm out and about. I'm obviously not from the City nor do I venture to the city or its suburbs very often but I will tell you in rural Ohio where I have lived my entire life no one ever cared about Basketball before LeBron and post LeBron-pre return.  I was blown away by how much people were into Basketball in the small community I joined two years ago to coach football and even then its still 3rd fiddle.

Honestly this is pretty interesting. I also grew up in a rural area. We had to drive 20 minutes to get groceries. But as far as professional sports it was always Browns big time and Cavs number two. Now as far as sports played it was football as the primary sport then baseball then soccer, or futbol for you weird foreigners. 

54 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

it really just depends who you talk to 

I'm born and raised Cleveland 

more urban areas Cavs are 2

more suburbian Indians are 2 basically 

except when Lebron is here than Cavs will overtake Indians pretty much for the fans

but there will always be some people who have Indians 2

2 minutes ago, brownie man said:

it really just depends who you talk to 

I'm born and raised Cleveland 

more urban areas Cavs are 2

more suburbian Indians are 2 basically 

except when Lebron is here than Cavs will overtake Indians pretty much for the fans

but there will always be some people who have Indians 2

Grew up in South Euclid/Cleveland Heights. Was DEFINITELY Indians #1 early on (mid-nineties, Browns still not back yet), then Browns/Indians. Cavs didn't get big until Lebron and even then were maybe a tie for #2 with the Indians.

4 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

It’s not a threat if they’re serious, it’s transparency. 

5 million is 20+ million in luxury tax.

Lacob is worth $1.5B

durant is worth around $60m. 

That $5m is worth more to Durant than the $20m to Lacob. 

Durant shouldn’t be the one sacrificing, when Lacob and the warriors prolly wouldn’t be winning the titles without him. 

5 hours ago, buno67 said:

Lacob is worth $1.5B

durant is worth around $60m. 

That $5m is worth more to Durant than the $20m to Lacob. 

Durant shouldn’t be the one sacrificing, when Lacob and the warriors prolly wouldn’t be winning the titles without him. 

He didn’t have to, they just may not have signed a MLE.

1 hour ago, brownie man said:

I’m interested in Jabari Parker 

thoughts?

I think he’s still got a lot of potential to be a building block 

He is a good piece. I dont see him as a max type player, which is what he might get

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brownie man said:

I’m interested in Jabari Parker 

thoughts?

I think he’s still got a lot of potential to be a building block 

Jabari Parker said he didn't want the Cavs to draft him. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't want to come aboard this sinking ship right now. Plus, he's overrated and gets hurt. As @ohiogenius already stated, he's likely to get a max--or close to it--from some dumb team. I hope it's not us.

We need to be ultra-patient with signing any free agents. I want our cap space to be able to envelop at least 2 max deals at all times so that if our young talent fleshes out, we can go get those guys. Right now the main goal of this team needs to be to shed the fat and get our salary cap # as close to 0 as possible.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Jabari Parker said he didn't want the Cavs to draft him. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't want to come aboard this sinking ship right now. Plus, he's overrated and gets hurt. As @ohiogenius already stated, he's likely to get a max--or close to it--from some dumb team. I hope it's not us.

We need to be ultra-patient with signing any free agents. I want our cap space to be able to envelop at least 2 max deals at all times so that if our young talent fleshes out, we can go get those guys. Right now the main goal of this team needs to be to shed the fat and get our salary cap # as close to 0 as possible.

What's the point in cap space when we will never be a franchise that's able to attract free agents to come here? As far as Parker goes, we are under the tax threshold now and eligible to take back a S&T player. Let's say we are willing to take a chance and give him a 3 year deal at 15 mil per or something, we could be a partner for them. Would probably have to be a two part deal as I don't think Parker could be traded with other players, but I wouldn't turn him away. 

• FGK changed the title to Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck