49ers Training Camp 2022 Thread

49erurtaza

3 hours ago, GW21 said:

Also, I just wanted to point this out in case you missed it, but Elliot also mentioned how Sermon is starting to turn it on as of late.

Yeah, I pretty much have him all but locked in on the roster as rb3. I'll be curious if he can make a third down back role work. His hands were better than I thought last year

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Dang, that's a bummer. Was really looking forward to seeing O'Neal in the preseason. Supposedly he was going to be back next week. Maybe a stash move, or maybe it just ends up like Austin Watkins where we just end up cutting him during the season. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, GW21 said:

Dang, that's a bummer. Was really looking forward to seeing O'Neal in the preseason. Supposedly he was going to be back next week. Maybe a stash move, or maybe it just ends up like Austin Watkins where we just end up cutting him during the season. 

Doesn't he go through waivers?

4 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Doesn't he go through waivers?

I'm guessing we waived/injured him, IIRC that means if he's unclaimed he goes to our IR

Whether we'll keep him there or do an injury settlement, i'm not sure. Injury settlement means he can come back this season at some point, but we risk another team signing him. IR means he's out for the year but at least he comes back next camp to compete

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

I'm guessing we waived/injured him, IIRC that means if he's unclaimed he goes to our IR

Whether we'll keep him there or do an injury settlement, i'm not sure. Injury settlement means he can come back this season at some point, but we risk another team signing him. IR means he's out for the year but at least he comes back next camp to compete

Yeah I think if we do an injury settlement we can't re-sign him in-season for like 3 weeks or something like that after he's released/the injury settlement goes through. So not only would he again be exposed to waivers, but we'd have to wait a while to bring him back if that's what we're trying to do. I think if we really have plans to keep him around at that point he'd just sit on IR for the rest of the year. 

Maybe their plan is to build him up and move him the LB like they did with DFF and Marcell Harris. A year on IR would allow him to accomplish that, but maybe he just hasn't proved to be worth the roster spot.