49ers Training Camp 2022 Thread

49erurtaza

8 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

I think Rich is a moron tbh. Idk why anyone takes him seriously on any takes. 

He has good knowledge but these guys try to overthink themselves to sound smarter. Like Mitchell is good, better than Sermon until proven otherwise. Let's not try to create false narratives now lol. We saw Sermon in action and there is a reason Mitchell has been getting damn near all the first team carries. Granted, I do expect Sermon to look better if he gets inside zone carries more with Lance, but MItchell is far more decisive and can get to the edge better than Sermon.

14 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

I get we all have different views in life but man Rich goes off the wall with his political views and etc...

That doesn't bother me one bit. I never understood why that needs to be hidden. I think it is refreshing myself. No hidden agendas. 

56 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

I think Rich is a moron tbh. Idk why anyone takes him seriously on any takes. 

I definitely wouldn't consider him a moron. He's needlessly combative and very grating at times though. He's a less entertaining version of Grant because I think that Grant does a lot of what he does with a wink and a nod. He knows and openly acknowledges what he is doing. There is an impishness to Grant. Not so with Rich. Frankly, he's just kind of mean spirited sometimes.  He has strong takes and if you disagree with them even a little, he'll just put you on blast. 

I don't think his takes are that far out there. There are definitely some takes that are against consensus, but not thinking Elijah Mitchell a good running back is a far cry from thinking Nate Sudfeld and Brock Purdy are better quarterbacks than Trey Lance for example lol. 

He does the work, but the fact that his default answer to people disagreeing with him is "watch the tape" (as though even watching tape isn't subjective as hell) makes him somewhat insufferable at times. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

I think most of us here knew Washington was the team that was looking to trade for Jimmy before his surgery. There was even a report out stating that Washington did not want to wait any longer for Jimmy so they pivoted to another direction. 

That surgery really cost us a 2nd rounder damnit! 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

We saw Sermon in action and there is a reason Mitchell has been getting damn near all the first team carries.

Did we though? Sermon was definitely in Shanny’s doghouse and didn’t really get much of a chance to shine IMO. 

I’m not saying this as a slight to Mitchell in any way, as I think he is a good back who will continue to be productive for us, but I also don’t think we’ve really seen enough to judge Sermon based on his opportunities to this point. 

I have no argument with this bit either:

54 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Like Mitchell is good, better than Sermon until proven otherwise.

Edited by GW21
  • Like 1

Just now, GW21 said:

Did we though? Sermon was definitely in Shanny’s doghouse and didn’t really get much of a chance to shine IMO. 

I’m not saying this as a slight to Mitchell in any way, as I think he is a good back who will continue to be productive for us, but I also don’t think we’ve really seen enough to judge Sermon based on what we’ve seen from him to this point. 

I have no argument with this but either:

We kind of need to stop with the Shanny doghouse tbh. There is a reason players end up there and that's because they are either not working hard or not doing what they are supposed to do. There may be an instance or two where Shanny holds some sort of grudge, but for the most part he is fair. 

Sermon was dancing and not hitting the holes last season. We all saw that. From all the reports in camp, he was doing that in the first week but got better as camp progressed so that's a good sign. But Sermon's game was never the outside zone so in that regard, I don't think it is fair to judge him off of what we saw last season. BUT, we also know that even with Trey, the outside zone is still going to be utilized so MItchell will always have the edge there and Sermon will be able to do damage on the inside zone runs. 

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

We kind of need to stop with the Shanny doghouse tbh. There is a reason players end up there and that's because they are either not working hard or not doing what they are supposed to do. There may be an instance or two where Shanny holds some sort of grudge, but for the most part he is fair. 

Sermon was dancing and not hitting the holes last season. We all saw that. From all the reports in camp, he was doing that in the first week but got better as camp progressed so that's a good sign. But Sermon's game was never the outside zone so in that regard, I don't think it is fair to judge him off of what we saw last season. BUT, we also know that even with Trey, the outside zone is still going to be utilized so MItchell will always have the edge there and Sermon will be able to do damage on the inside zone runs. 

Weren't you the one calling out Shanahan for not using Aiyuk early in the season because he was in his doghouse? I mean I understand the sentiment, but I do think there is at least a little bit of validity to it. I think If Shanahan doesn't like a part of your game, you aren't going to see the field, regardless of what else you may excel at. I go back to Richie James and people being baffled why he wasn't used after the GB game when all our receivers were hurt; Richie couldn't block, so he didn't play (at least that is my theory). 

I agree that Sermon probably had something holding him up from getting him on the field; pass pro would be my guess. I'm not saying that he was getting black balled for no reason, but I do think that he could have seen more time in certain situations. 

• Like 1

Just now, GW21 said:

Weren't you the one calling out Shanahan for not using Aiyuk early in the season because he was in his doghouse? I mean I understand the sentiment, but I do think there is at least a little bit of validity to it. I think If Shanahan doesn't like a part of your game, you aren't going to see the field, regardless of what else you may excel at. I go back to Richie James and people being baffled why he wasn't used after the GB game when all our receivers were hurt; Richie couldn't block, so he didn't play (at least that is my theory). 

I agree that Sermon probably had something holding him up from getting him on the field; pass pro would be my guess. I'm not saying that he was getting black balled for no reason, but I do think that he could have seen more time in certain situations. 

Absolutely, and guess what? Aiyuk himself admitted he was not focused the way he is now and was not dominating practices the way he did in camp. I still stand by my sentiments that not using Aiyuk at all did not help the team out but usually if you are in doghouse, there is a reason for it. Pettis got put in it and it has been proven that he just doesn't have it. Shanny has been clear that he wanted Sermon to stop dancing and just hit the hole. That was something we all saw in his limited carries last season. He had like 80 yards vs Seattle but that was a game that MItchell would probably have ran for 120+ yards. Sermon was hesitating too much even when his stats made it seem like he had a good game. 

Only one that really ticked me off was using that bum corner over Ahkello in 2020. That was where Shanny made it personal and held a grudge that did not help the football team. I have come around on him getting after Aiyuk since there seems to be validity in the reports of Aiyuk not going all out in practice and losing focus. He has dominated camp this year and has been the standout offensive player. Coincidence? I think not. 

22 minutes ago, GW21 said:

Add to this Juice spoke about Sermon not working as hard as he's supposed to early on. If you aren't going 110 percent every second Kyle will not play you. Banks, Sermon, and Aiyuk (2nd year) seemed to have that issue early on. Hufunga was the opposite from day one. 

Edited by 49erurtaza

11 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I still stand by my sentiments that not using Aiyuk at all did not help the team out but usually if you are in doghouse, there is a reason for it.

I agree and said as much in my post. The same approach they took with Aiyuk could have been used for Sermon. Aiyuk was seeing the field, albeit not as much at the beginning of the season and turned it on towards the end of the year, and has come in on a mission this year. I think sprinkling in Sermon some throughout the season would have been beneficial to his growth and the team, but I think we're just talking in circles at this point.

The main point I wanted to make was:
Shanahan's doghouse definitely does exist, and I while I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to get players moving in the right direction, he could use players in specific situations while they work to correct the part of their game he isn't happy with. 

3 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Add to this Juice spoke about Sermon not working as hard as he's supposed to early on. If you aren't going 110 percent every second Kyle will not play you. Banks, Sermon, and Aiyuk (2nd year) seemed to have that issue early on. Hufunga was the opposite from day one. 

I hadn't heard that, but that would definitely be a reason to get on a coaches bad side. 

36 minutes ago, GW21 said:

I agree and said as much in my post. The same approach they took with Aiyuk could have been used for Sermon. Aiyuk was seeing the field, albeit not as much at the beginning of the season and turned it on towards the end of the year, and has come in on a mission this year. I think sprinkling in Sermon some throughout the season would have been beneficial to his growth and the team, but I think we're just talking in circles at this point.

The main point I wanted to make was:
Shanahan's doghouse definitely does exist, and I while I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to get players moving in the right direction, he could use players in specific situations while they work to correct the part of their game he isn't happy with. 

Aiyuk was getting his fair share of snaps, just was not getting the targets he needed. When I went to the Colts game, I paid attention close to Aiyuk and he was damn near always open. I took offense to THAT and did not know how that made the team better. If you don't want to play him, then do just that but don't play him to only not target him. Shanny can draw up plays for any of his receivers to get touches and it was clear that he was not looking to get Aiyuk any touches...That changed as the season progressed obviously but we wasted half the year playing him and not targeting him.

I mean the main point was that Rich thinks Sermon is better than Mitchell and there is nothing that indicates that being true. Sermon will get more inside zone runs this season so things can change some but if Mitchell is healthy, he will be leading the team in carries...By a fairly big margin at that. 

So Lombardi had Trey completing 53% of his passes in camp but 67% on move the ball drills. I was listening to I think Rohan(?) and he mentioned how Trey is much better in those drills since he isn't looking to just air it out deep as he is in other drills. That makes sense as well as he's getting to use his legs in those drills so the defense can't just key in on the pass. Lance was not good in the RZ drills though and this is where we are going to have to use Deebo heavily in the run game. He's going to have to get us some scores rushing the ball and I fully expect a bunch of zone reads inside the 10 yard line.